Sign in to follow this  
casedawg350

very little output

so i went to hook up my set-up. got everything hooked up, but there is extremely little output from the sub. i can barely hear the bass, but if i set my hand on the sub i can feel it moving just barely.

when i went to hook it up the 1st time, i forgot to unhook the battery. when i put in the power wire it sparked and the protection light flashed.

then i disconnected the positive battery terminal, hooked up the ground, remote, speaker, RCA's, gains knob, power wire, then positive on battery. hooked everything up in that order. turned the HU on to 10. could barely hear the bass. and like said above when i put my hand on the sub i could feel it moving slightly. played with the gains on the amp, and if i turn it up it gets louder, but still just barely. the gains knob was turned all the way up.

also, i had everything hooked up about a month ago to a Hifonics amp, and everything worked perfect.

sub is wired at 2 ohms.

if anyone has any ideas what it might be, or could tell me what to try that would be great. thanks.

Edited by casedawg350

when the output of an amp is outputting at a very low volume, lot lower than normal at the level being played, never turn it up louder... even more damage can occur if there is something wrong with it.

Unhook remote controller and do everything via the amp.

Make sure the crossover points are set right.

LPF set around 60-80hz and subsonic in the 30s or lower, however u got it tuned to or off if sealed(with proper power).

also if it's none of these, replace rca jacks with a new set or run the rcas to a different preout on the head unit.

when the output of an amp is outputting at a very low volume, lot lower than normal at the level being played, never turn it up louder... even more damage can occur if there is something wrong with it.

Unhook remote controller and do everything via the amp.

Make sure the crossover points are set right.

LPF set around 60-80hz and subsonic in the 30s or lower, however u got it tuned to or off if sealed(with proper power).

also if it's none of these, replace rca jacks with a new set or run the rcas to a different preout on the head unit.

it was only for a split second. ill try it without the knob and see what happens. Xover was set at 80, and subsonic cant be adjusted on this amp.

oh also, i had this hooked up with everything before with a Hifonics and it worked perfectly fine til the amp blew.

i have the RCA's on the "Subwoofer" pre-out on the HU. if i put it in "Front" or "Rear" wont i not be able to tune it on the HU how its supposed to be tuned? like the Sub Level or the Bass?

Edited by casedawg350

the purpose of me telling u to move to another preout is to see if your sub preout is damaged or not

gotcha. ill check when my dad gets home. he has the truck right now. ill try all things you said and post how it goes. thanks!

EDIT!: could this be cause i didnt turn up the subwoofer level? i just realized i didnt do that.

Edited by casedawg350

if u are referring to the subwoofer level control on the head unit... It's quite possible!

if u are referring to the subwoofer level control on the head unit... It's quite possible!

yeah i was. and thats exactly what it was! feel like a newb! lol. thanks for the help though!