Sign in to follow this  
casedawg350

competition my friend went to

so my buddy went to a competition today, and got 3rd place in the 0-600 watt class with 2 type-r 15's on a JL 500/1. said he hit like a 140 some. anyways, he said after all the real tests were done, the people let the entry's put the meter anywhere they wanted. he said a kid put the meter down in the port, and hit a 162. then another kid who was there did the same and hit a 177

what do you guys think of this? i dont know a lot about numbers and what things are capable of, but those numbers didnt seem logical.

Edited by casedawg350

The 162 sounds logical but not the 177.

In my experience, when you meter inside the port, which is at the back of the port so basically inside the box, you shouldnt lose an astronomical amount of pressure from the inside to the outside.

Sure you lose alot when you are not running a wall but those who run walls don't meter loud in the port either, :)

On average, what you meter in the port, expect a 15-20db drop in actual legal meter position at the headrest.

So, if someone did a 177... then they should have been breaking 160s or very very close...

And seeing how hard breaking a 160 is, it would have to be some extremely braced and permanently modified vehicle to achieve such numbers...

If that vehicle existed then wow, that's awesome, otherwise he heard wrong.

Also, to hit a 177 in the port, again... he would have to be doin close to if not over a 160 with NO WALL... very very hard to accomplish because in port wars, the point of most pressure is at the inside of the box right where the port begins.

Ironically, to build more pressure up at this point is to have an L shaped port or to have the port just inches away from a corner where it starts... which add's turbulence and will usually slightly lower spl output due to a requirement for larger port area which lots of people don't take into account.

gotcha. makes perfect sense. he said for the actual comp they put the mic on the dash.

i wasnt sure cause ive seen a couple pics of people getting 150's here on this forum, but i believe that was either at the headrest or dash, so i wasn't sure. thanks for explaining that!

Most scores put up on here or other places are on the windshield/on the dash. The headrest, or floor, or port is usually specified.

J