Sign in to follow this  
antonmiller

how to get louder?

On the Termlab im hitting a 144.3 sealed up at the dash with a sweep. its in a trunked cavalier. i just want to know if i can get that score a little bit higher?

would holding the trunk lid, sunroof, or doors down during a run help?

would more room for air to get into the cabin help?

does subwoofer box placement help, meaning how far away from the trunk lid it is, also how about rear seat folded down half way help? how about front seat positions? kind of just trying to get as much of an edge as i can.

with the 144.3 run it was all set up for daily driving, not much tuning done at all, as in i didnt play with box position, or seat position or anything like that. i just kinda drove up they put the mic in and went, i did play with the gain and lowpass filter after i got my oscope working but other than that its pretty much how i drove to the event.

what ive got (the equiptment cant change)

single 12" Fi audio BL

1 rockford fosgate 1500-1bd

2/0 wire to the amp, 2/0 wire big three

stock electrical

pioneer 6000ub head unit

box tuned to 34 hz with 39 sq inches of port.

good video showing the box possistion and other things i have work with

more videos if you click my sig(if interested)the 2 above pertain to the post the most.

sorry if this is in the wrong spot

Edited by Anton Miller

On the Termlab im hitting a 144.3 sealed up at the dash with a sweep. its in a trunked cavalier. i just want to know if i can get that score a little bit higher?

would holding the trunk lid, sunroof, or doors down during a run help?

would more room for air to get into the cabin help?

does subwoofer box placement help, meaning how far away from the trunk lid it is, also how about rear seat folded down half way help? how about front seat positions? kind of just trying to get as much of an edge as i can.

with the 144.3 run it was all set up for daily driving, not much tuning done at all, as in i didnt play with box position, or seat position or anything like that. i just kinda drove up they put the mic in and went, i did play with the gain and lowpass filter after i got my oscope working but other than that its pretty much how i drove to the event.

what ive got (the equiptment cant change)

single 12" Fi audio BL

1 rockford fosgate 1500-1bd

2/0 wire to the amp, 2/0 wire big three

stock electrical

pioneer 6000ub head unit

box tuned to 34 hz with 39 sq inches of port.

good video showing the box possistion and other things i have work with

more videos if you click my sig(if interested)the 2 above pertain to the post the most.

sorry if this is in the wrong spot

Make your ground the same size as power for one, i find in most trunk cars i play in, closer to the back is louder, to the ear at least. your box looks pretty big though, so it might be getting choked. try flipping it facing up, or into the cabin, if into the cabing is better, you can further improve by sealing off the trunk.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Pretty much everything that you said you'll just have to get on a mic and try, because they work in some cars but not others. But generally any way you can take obstructions out of the way between the subs and mic is good. You can also try placing a small board over part of the port. If you cut down on port size that'll raise the tuning frequency, which is better for SPL.

yea the wire thing is fixed now, its got a 2/0 wire ground.

so if i take out the passenger headrest and kinda tilt the seat some to guide the waves to the mic it will be louder? also would putting a piece of mdf on the rear seat that folds down help guide the waves? like instead of having the wave just hit fabric, they would hit somthing hard? also if i put extra weather stripping in the door seams and trunk seams, also the sunroof seams help? im going to use a dent puller to hold the sunroof in during the run to see if it raises anything.

i just want to get a trophy. lol

im going to try to get to a mic this weekend and try some things out.

Thanks for your help,

Anton Miller

Pretty much everything that you said you'll just have to get on a mic and try, because they work in some cars but not others. But generally any way you can take obstructions out of the way between the subs and mic is good. You can also try placing a small board over part of the port. If you cut down on port size that'll raise the tuning frequency, which is better for SPL.

x2 - Without a mic you cant test anything. Did you try flipping the subs towards the cabin? If so did you flip down the seats? Basically anything you do to decrease the volume of your vehichle will help. That is why flipping the subs toward you would be great because you could seal off the trunk and get rid of all that extra volume in there. You can also flip down the sunvisors etc. You need to play around with opening doors and closing doors as well as windows.

When i was in the trunk of my cavalier i tunned my box 41 hz and had an insert to drop it for them low's ... the cabin freq likes any where from 40 to 46 hz that the ticket to hit the mic ...