Sign in to follow this  
Chinbruiser

Box design

Okay guys hope this is in the right spot! I didnt want to post this in the fabricators thread but anyways here we go. I'm wanting to purchase a box design for 2 12 L7's. The only dimensions that matter is I dont want it over 20 inches tall and over 48 inches wide and 16 deep. I dont want to do a basic slot port or aero tuned port. I'd rather do a TL or something of the sort. All I want to purchase is the design not the box guys. Something cool and out of the ordinary. Thanks in advance guys!

Okay guys hope this is in the right spot! I didnt want to post this in the fabricators thread but anyways here we go. I'm wanting to purchase a box design for 2 12 L7's. The only dimensions that matter is I dont want it over 20 inches tall and over 48 inches wide and 16 deep. I dont want to do a basic slot port or aero tuned port. I'd rather do a TL or something of the sort. All I want to purchase is the design not the box guys. Something cool and out of the ordinary. Thanks in advance guys!

When you say TL you mean a t-line enclosure? Also, what year model L7?

Edited by hdrox88

Yes sir thats exactly what I meant. I know someone is gonna ask me if I want it for SQ or SPL so let me go ahead and get that out of the way, L7's arent known to sound to awful great so I just want to get as much output as I can! So SPL for sure. This years L7 dual 2 ohm coils!

Edited by Chinbruiser

Yes sir thats exactly what I meant. I know someone is gonna ask me if I want it for SQ or SPL so let me go ahead and get that out of the way, L7's arent known to sound to awful great so I just want to get as much output as I can! So SPL for sure. This years L7 dual 2 ohm coils!

Well, if pure SPL is your goal then a t-line might not be for you. Do you just want it loud or do you want to compete?

u know SPL refers to a design in which usually will sound terrible for music.

So, if you want to listen to music... then use another more broad explanation like-

I want it to be loud overall or

i want it to destroy the low end or

i want just a little low end and more louder bass(to the ear) 40-50hz range...

Everybody wants loud so it's like a redundant request.

If nobody wanted loud, nobody would use an amp or better yet, upgrade over stock period.

Okay sorry bout that guys. Let me rephrase I want it to play music as loud as possible. I'm not planning on competing with some L7's! So whatever you guys think that means cool. I'mnot gonna lie and act like I knew what you just said. I want it to sound as good as possible while beating me up. I listen to every type of music there is if that matters. I just bought a design off a guy that was 7 cubes tuned to 35 Hz with like 96 inches of port space. Slot port. Sounded okay but wasnt exactly what I was looking for so Im ready to build a new one.

Okay sorry bout that guys. Let me rephrase I want it to play music as loud as possible. I'm not planning on competing with some L7's! So whatever you guys think that means cool. I'mnot gonna lie and act like I knew what you just said. I want it to sound as good as possible while beating me up. I listen to every type of music there is if that matters. I just bought a design off a guy that was 7 cubes tuned to 35 Hz with like 96 inches of port space. Slot port. Sounded okay but wasnt exactly what I was looking for so Im ready to build a new one.

If you let us know what you did and didn't like about that box we can probably be much more effective in helping you out. What kind of power were/are they getting? Where was your crossover set?

Edited by hdrox88

It just seemed like it didnt play the low notes near as good anymore! I mean some songs it sounded good on but some like poopey. I dont really know how to put it in to terms that you guys would understand. I just want a box that you guys would design for these subs in your truck if you had em. I know there not as good as alot of the stuff offered on this site but its what I got. I got me a 18" nightshade on the way though and when that gets here we do another box for that one. I'm learning on the fly man and its cost me alot of money but I enjoy it and enjoy guys like you guys on these forums.

Edited by Chinbruiser

let me go ahead and tell u that L7s needed VERY LARGE enclosures for their size!

So 7 cubes for 2 12" L7s is minimal.

A single 15" L7 wants over 6 cubes net if i remember right.

let me go ahead and tell u that L7s needed VERY LARGE enclosures for their size!

So 7 cubes for 2 12" L7s is minimal.

A single 15" L7 wants over 6 cubes net if i remember right.

Yeah, I was just playing in WinISD and 9ft^3 tuned to 30hz would get you the lows you want. You would probably need to be careful not to bottom them out with a box that large and tuned that low. I can design a box for ya once you figure out what you want to do.

Edited by hdrox88

Okay I dont know, all I know is I went to Kickers site and they said 3.5 for the max optimum enclosure and we did 7 after displacements a lil over 9 before port and subs.

do NOT use winisd to find the ideal response...

It is not correct!

Yeah Ive got winisd and bassbox pro and they wont let you do anything special that I could find only basic shapes with standard porting but hey whatever you guys think.

hey chinbruiser, i just checked, u are right about optimal enclosure size for single 12.

So, my next question is, if u still got that box, can u please measure outside dimensions then internal port dimensions so i can be sure of the correct tuning.

35hz seems to be good for the lows which u say wasn't there that much so i must be sure it was built properly.

do NOT use winisd to find the ideal response...

It is not correct!

OOPS! I wasn't going off of the programs recommended enclosure if that is what you are talking about. Or is that program bad alltogether?

the only thing i find that is accurate is the port length and that's if you choose the correct end correction.

How do I "bottom them out?"

If you get a box extremely large like 18ft^3 than it will be like playing the sub in free air. The larger you go in box size raises the ease of bottoming out. But don't let that fool you, you can still bottom a sub in a tiny enclosure.

well, your box is definitely within what you said it should be in.

So, it didn't hit the lows well? was that the problem?

That is odd though, unless the subsonic filter was set too high on the amp. that box should have destroyed your car, hehe.

the only thing i find that is accurate is the port length and that's if you choose the correct end correction.

Is there a program that can accurately display response? Or is using some tones and a meter the only was to map the frequency response?

I stiffened it up and sprayed bedliner to the interior and am in the process of putting it back in for another test run around town. I keep the subsonic filter turned all the way down is that wrong? The only thing I adjust is the gain and frequency

Ahh! turn that subsonic back up to the high 20s!

The subsonic prevents bottoming out... It's to prevent failure mostly of your subs. It is a high pass crossover.

The low pass filter should be just under 100hz.

hdrox88- i have heard that termpro makes some software for the car audio box building world but i am 100% unfamiliar with it. Jay-C76 has it so ask him about it.

accurately would require a dmm, using your eye is decently well enough....

U survived this long, so turning it up any just makes it that much safer.