Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Collova

New Second Skin Product - SPL Sludge

We have been developing a new product for SPL competitors and bass heads that is going to be unlike anything the industry as seen.

Basically it is a beefed up version of or spectrum coating, but along with it, we are going to include a couple pounds of our rubber tire strands.

These are little bits of rubber that are made from recycled tires. The strands are very small but super strong. According to my rubber vendor, when these strands are added to acrylic coatings the network of interwoven strands that is created will increase both elongation and tensile strength of the material by almost 500%.

I think we are going to call it SPL Sludge but really, it will help with SQ as well. This stuff is amazing!!

I am very excited about this new product!

ANT

i know that you are not suppose to put spectrum sludge over damplifier sheets but what i am curious is, for places that does NOT vibrate or rattle, would adding this new stuff help in higher pressure levels?

What exactly i am asking is.. is this stuff used for the same purpose as damplifier pro? Just better?

i have yet to sound deaden the inside doors of my car and curious as if i should wait and dump this stuff in the doors or just damp pro the inside of the door?

for your info, i run a wall with pressure levels in excess of 156db right now.

i know that you are not suppose to put spectrum sludge over damplifier sheets but what i am curious is, for places that does NOT vibrate or rattle, would adding this new stuff help in higher pressure levels?

What exactly i am asking is.. is this stuff used for the same purpose as damplifier pro? Just better?

i have yet to sound deaden the inside doors of my car and curious as if i should wait and dump this stuff in the doors or just damp pro the inside of the door?

for your info, i run a wall with pressure levels in excess of 156db right now.

You could put this over the Damplifier Pro if you were really trying to keep the flex down by a large degree.

This product wil lreducce the vibrations but allso add a good amount of dlex control, helping to keep the spl in the car. That is the idea anyhow.

ANT

OH.. hmm... i thought you couldnt do that... well, now i've gots lots of ideas...

ok, well, i'm trying to interpret this so if anyone can chime in, i'd appreciate it-

This comes from MECA 2009 rulebook for Modex division -

2. Only rubberized/asphalt type sound deadening material is allowed to be used on the floor in front the B-pillars, 2 layers maximum in any

area.

3. Spray Foam, resins, duct tape, or any similar materials used to increase sound pressure score are permitted through out the vehicle so long

as they do not violate any other rules.

2 - so i am allowed to use up to 2 layers of damp pro in my door...

3 - i am assuming this would also include this SPL sludge? This is the part that gets me confused... They don't put a limit as to how much you can use but limit deadener sheets to 2 layers...

Well, Sludge is rubberized. It has both acrylic rubber and recycled rubber in it. Therfore it is rubberized so it qualifies. I am not sure about the total thickness though. I though DB Drag was 2 layers total, no more than 4mm total.

ANT

will this act as a barrier (like MLV ? )

Anything can "act" like a barrier if you use enough of it, but really, Sludge is a vibration coating. It is designed to reduce structure borne noise.

The thicker you apply it, the more airborne noise it will reduce but it is not very efficient compared to a real barrier like our Luxury Liner Pro mat.

Hope that helps!

ANT