I have an aftermarket Pioneer HU (AVIC F900BT) and it has a sub control level (from 0 to 6) and bass boost (0 to 6). Would having a bass knob make any difference or is it the same thing as the bass boost on the HU?

If your pioneer is anything like mine the bass boost ups the bass to the sub and the speakers. Sublevel control is just the sub. A bass knob for an amp can vary from amp to amp.

If your pioneer is anything like mine the bass boost ups the bass to the sub and the speakers. Sublevel control is just the sub. A bass knob for an amp can vary from amp to amp.

ok well i have my HPF on 125Hz so no bass is coming out of my speakers. and my 12" bl doesnt get that loud with just the sublevel but once i use the bass boost i gets alot louder... my amp is a sundown sae1200d

It sounds like you need to adjust your gains correctly.

I agree, and make sure everything is adjusted flat or to 0 when setting gains.

I agree, and make sure everything is adjusted flat or to 0 when setting gains.

ohhh actually i think my sub level was on the max when they set it...

my gain was probably 1/8 of the way turned up. is that ok?

You should set it with a DMM or Oscope if you can. But 1/8 seems a tad on the low side unless you have a line driver.

Nope. You need to set it the RIGHT way.

ha i didnt set it! i got professionals to install it! but when i got my amp back to send it back for repair i saw that it was set at about 1/8 of the way up

ha i didnt set it! i got professionals to install it! but when i got my amp back to send it back for repair i saw that it was set at about 1/8 of the way up

You need to change that then ;)

You need to change that then ;)

alright ill talk to them about that... but when they hook up the sub should i make sure that the sub level is at 0?

Why don't you just do it yourself? No need to pay for something you can easily do.

Why don't you just do it yourself? No need to pay for something you can easily do.

it should be free but if they do try to charge me i will do it myself

Make sure they do it right...do YOU know how to do it?

Put the bass boost at 0. That is an actual boost at a certain frequency that will likely do absolutely no good for your system, and increase the chance of harm. The sub level setting, however, adjusts the overall signal strength to the sub amplifier. When you set the gain you'll likely want this at +6. That way you can adjust the sub's volume relative to the rest of your interior speakers from the drivers seat.

A bass knob that comes with an amplifier can either be a bass boost or a gain control. Bass boost is the same as the bass boost on the head unit, generally not a good idea to use at all. But the gain control is like the sub level setting on the head unit and adjusts the total signal strength. That is the appropriate control to use.

If the shop set your gain with the bass boost all the way up, they did a terrible job.

Make sure they do it right...do YOU know how to do it?

haha yeah i think so

Put the bass boost at 0. That is an actual boost at a certain frequency that will likely do absolutely no good for your system, and increase the chance of harm. The sub level setting, however, adjusts the overall signal strength to the sub amplifier. When you set the gain you'll likely want this at +6. That way you can adjust the sub's volume relative to the rest of your interior speakers from the drivers seat.

A bass knob that comes with an amplifier can either be a bass boost or a gain control. Bass boost is the same as the bass boost on the head unit, generally not a good idea to use at all. But the gain control is like the sub level setting on the head unit and adjusts the total signal strength. That is the appropriate control to use.

If the shop set your gain with the bass boost all the way up, they did a terrible job.

no the shop had the bass boost at 0 when they set the gain but had the sub level at 6... but why would i want to have it at 6 when i set it? i thought it should be at 0 when i set the gain?

That way you have the ability to turn the sub down. If you set the gain with the level at 0 then increase the level to +6, you'll be clipping the amp.