Sign in to follow this  
Estsound

Calculating resistance

I've seen a lot of topics about resistance so i decided to make topic about this to clear things up.

There are 3 ways how to run your dual coil sub.

1) Series connection: you will wire your sub in series. If you connect in series you add resistance.

1+1=2 ohms

2+2=4 ohms

4+4=8 ohms

2) Parallel connection: Hook up your sub in parallel. Making your resistance lower.

1/1+1/1+1/2 = 0.5 ohms

1/2+1/2+1/1 = 1 ohm

1/4+1/4+1/0.5 = 2 ohms

3) Or you can run dual channel amp, 1 coil to 1 channel. Or run 2 amps one amp to one channel. I actually don't recommend this connection, because coils have to be powered equally, you need to make really accurate settings.

Hope that this helps you guys :) !Pinned ?

Edited by ///M5

2) Parallel connection: Hook up your sub in parallel. Making your resistance lower.

1/1+1/1=0.5 ohms

1/2+1/2=1 ohms

1/4+1/4= 2 ohms

3) Or you can run dual channel amp, 1 coil to 1 channel. Or run 2 amps one amp to one channel. I actually don't recommend this connection, because coils have to be powered equally, you need to make really accurate settings.

might want to retype those numbers the / can throw people off!!!!

i just use divide by number of terminals. its alittle clearer.

You can always run a single voice coil of the DVC sub as well. It is not a recommended procedure because it lowers power handling slightly and also can change the T/S parameters. Most manufacturers don't recommend this as most people would not know how to set this up properly.