burton907

sub cut out placement

where is the optimal placement for the sub cut out.

i went a head and am building a box for my single 12"Q. and it's just a basic little 2.36cuft @ 31.69hzported box. i got to thinking before am going to make my cut out for the sub.

should i put the sub closer to the port? or dead center? or away from the port?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? and what would you recommend?

also the sub cut out should be at 11.7 inches right? on the website i got that from the cut ID number.

thanks guys

paint ftw

subbox.jpg

so by interior opening your talking about the opening above B correct?

anyways this is roughly what my box is, minus 3 subs. but where would be the best place to make the cut out?! a distance from either end would be nice if it had to be that specific.

thanks guys

Edited by burton907

Yes.

I wanna say B or C but it really depends on the real dimensions. I'd go with B.5 right between B and C. At A, it looks like the air flow isn't going to be as good. It would be a lot easier if it were drawn up to scale as well if you wanted specifics. :D

What?!?!?

I'd choose A if the port wasn't so close to the sub..

B, is a no go and C is also a no go in my preference...

I redid your drawing and came up with this-

subbox.jpg

i'm game... just not from a guy... :)

ha, glad to see i am not the only guy trying to figure this one out.

chop

shizzzon cheated. He changed the design of the box :turkey: <- cock. lol

paint ftw

subbox.jpg

so by interior opening your talking about the opening above B correct?

anyways this is roughly what my box is, minus 3 subs. but where would be the best place to make the cut out?! a distance from either end would be nice if it had to be that specific.

thanks guys

A is the best location man, and if FI says that your subs inside diameter is 11.7" then thats what it is (they have no reason to lie to you). Good luck with the install.

oh please, don't even real dimension me! It's free hand.

I do not like the sub to be that close to the port exit unless there is just absolutely no other way to do it.

Same reason why us competitors who build walls do not want the subs as close to the port as possible. It can cause a phasing issue.

I know he isn't competing but i try to urge for best potential out of what is layed out in front of me.

this is the kind of response i was looking for, thanks for all your input guys!

shizzzon, i posted a topic a week or so ago hoping you'd jump in it, but i was asking for a box deisgn, something similar to the one you put in.. when i get home i'll put a picture up of the RE calculator i used to design my box with dims.

so basically you guys think i should go somewhere between A and B but closer to A?

thanks fo rthe input.

hey shizzzon, if i sent you a PM later, would you be able to help me design a nice box for most likely the BTL or Xcon i get in the near future?

this is the kind of response i was looking for, thanks for all your input guys!

shizzzon, i posted a topic a week or so ago hoping you'd jump in it, but i was asking for a box deisgn, something similar to the one you put in.. when i get home i'll put a picture up of the RE calculator i used to design my box with dims.

so basically you guys think i should go somewhere between A and B but closer to A?

thanks fo rthe input.

hey shizzzon, if i sent you a PM later, would you be able to help me design a nice box for most likely the BTL or Xcon i get in the near future?

Actually we said put it exactly where A is, not really between the two (the best output will come if you place it exactly where A is). The furthest away from the port hole and opening is the better for your sub.

shizzzon mentioned not to put it so close to the port hole because it might cause phasing issues, so that is why i mentioned between A and B but closer to A.

here are my specs

sub.jpg

my baffle is 23.25 inches wide, minus the radius of my ID cut, 5.85 gives me about 17.4 inches to work with. for specifics, somebody want to give me a rough length to put the sub from either side of my enclosure.

also, how much room is there to play with when cutting the hole for the sub? i plan on using a jigsaw this time, and i wanted to know how precise i had to be, should i cut a little on the inside to be safe? or is it just a matter or making a nice clean circle or not?