Well I have most things at my place ready to be hooked up sometime soon. But theres one problem, thats with donig the big three with my alt. There is a plug on the back of it that plugs into the block, its a three prong plug and those seem to be 8 gauge wire. There are three wires goign to the block then two to the battery. I do not see a ground at all. Now I have no bloody idea how I would re wire all of that. I would need a new three prong plug able to support 0 gauge wire (I would think). Ill post pictures tomorrow of it but I am very confused. If anybody has ane experience with a 02-03 passat (same engines) PLEASE let me know! As of right now I am thinking I may be out of luck with any re wiring with the engine.

NOTE: I have tried to take pictures in the past but its very hard to get a clear shot. The light makes it hard to see. Maybe if I just post the new alt "three prong plug" you guys will understand.

for my alt there is no wire to ground the alt to the engine block BUT my alt ground via the bolts that bold it to the engine. as for hooking up a bigger guage wire to your 3prong ya i don't knwo we would have to see a pic. maybe get a trouble light and your camera and see what you can do.

for my alt there is no wire to ground the alt to the engine block BUT my alt ground via the bolts that bold it to the engine. as for hooking up a bigger guage wire to your 3prong ya i don't knwo we would have to see a pic. maybe get a trouble light and your camera and see what you can do.

Alright, you asked so you shall receive...

Beefed up alt, TWO prong, not three (my mistake):

alttwoprongplug.jpg

Alt wiring inside car (Couldn't get block shot, too far away) and sorry for it being blurry but you can see the two wires connecting to the prong, the other one is connecting to the bolt:

altinsidecar.jpg

Back of beefed up alt (you can see prong and bolt):

howaltmountednicartopre.jpg

Now the alt inside of the car, you can see why I cant get a good shot of the wiring. But I should be able to take off the fan and have enough room once that's removed and the top hose is removed.

topviewstockalt.jpg

o wow interesting! what that silver screw on the back for? mouting(pic 3)? it looks like it has a point on it and you weren't lying that thing looks bitch to get at

o wow interesting! what that silver screw on the back for? mouting(pic 3)? it looks like it has a point on it and you weren't lying that thing looks bitch to get at

No idea lol... I know the ribbed tube thing that goes around some wires (two I think) goes to the screw / bolt.

ya i don't know man. the only thing i would recommend you doing is calling up a local alt shop and telling them what you wnat to do and ask how can you do it. they might have to jimmy rig something on it

you got an interesting alt and location lol

ya i don't know man. the only thing i would recommend you doing is calling up a local alt shop and telling them what you wnat to do and ask how can you do it. they might have to jimmy rig something on it

Ill post a picture of the battery...THATS in a very very very interesting location...brb

wtf? wow nothign like compacting it all dman man!

so that wire coming off of the positive terminal that goes all the way to the alt? and then that wire is 3 prong plug?

you know i wonder if that 3prong plug can be opened up. kinda like a normal plug for extension cord. i am thinking maybe just use one of these if you can use one of those 1/0 step down terminal things crap i forgot there name let me google it and see fi i can get a pic!

got it

http://app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/1547191/size/175

Edited by CrazyKenKid

I have no idea lol. Ill talk to my mechanic tomorrow and see. I want to do all of this myself but may not have all the tools.

You should talk to the company that you got your alternator from too. More than likely they will know the wires on their own alternators better instead of a mechanic, which would know stock or engine wiring.

You should talk to the company that you got your alternator from too. More than likely they will know the wires on their own alternators better instead of a mechanic, which would know stock or engine wiring.

x2, that would be a good start. Did it come with a manual or something explaining the installation process?

I got it from a guy on here. Ill email excessive amperage though and see if they can fax / email / mail me something on it. The big battery for the trunk I was looking at is pretty screwed up (so I have more time now before I install stuff). But I want to talk to who I got it from first.

nice! keep us updated on what is going on! this is quite the interesting case!

Ill post a picture of the battery...THATS in a very very very interesting location...brb

Have you ever worked on a Lamborghini Gallardo?Now THOSE are fun to change the batteries in.......SYKE!

lol no sir!! i wish i could though loL!!

lol i will take your word for it lol!! but what really matters is do you have any pics??? lol! no pics you didn't actual do it loL!!

Well I have most things at my place ready to be hooked up sometime soon. But theres one problem, thats with donig the big three with my alt. There is a plug on the back of it that plugs into the block, its a three prong plug and those seem to be 8 gauge wire. There are three wires goign to the block then two to the battery. I do not see a ground at all. Now I have no bloody idea how I would re wire all of that. I would need a new three prong plug able to support 0 gauge wire (I would think). Ill post pictures tomorrow of it but I am very confused. If anybody has ane experience with a 02-03 passat (same engines) PLEASE let me know! As of right now I am thinking I may be out of luck with any re wiring with the engine.

NOTE: I have tried to take pictures in the past but its very hard to get a clear shot. The light makes it hard to see. Maybe if I just post the new alt "three prong plug" you guys will understand.

hey ive got an 03 passat and im looking to do the big three in 1/0 too. I have the v6 so my alt is in a slightly different location, closer to the ground on the passenger side. I have no idea how im going to get to it let alone snake the wire back to my batt. Where is the block to chassis wire on our cars?

hey ive got an 03 passat and im looking to do the big three in 1/0 too. I have the v6 so my alt is in a slightly different location, closer to the ground on the passenger side. I have no idea how im going to get to it let alone snake the wire back to my batt. Where is the block to chassis wire on our cars?

Either get out there and search for a wire leaving the engine block that runs to the cars frame or go buy the handbook for you car from Autozone or Pepboys (the wisest thing to do if your gonna be working on your car).

Hey iv been a auto tech for 10 years and from all my exp. The bolt on the back of the Alt. Feeds power to recharge the batt. The wires in the plug feed back to the copm. So it can tell the Alt how much to charge. Your block is your groundso I'd upgrade the block to frame, batt to frame/block