Sign in to follow this  
hpdrlr

Advice for 98 Dodge Ram enclosure

Hey guys just need some advice here. I have a 98 Dodge Ram Extended cab and plan to install a BTL 18 in the back. The seat will come out and I have ample room for enclosure. I just want to know if anyone else has done this kind of install in a similar truck and I basically want to know if the FI specs for box will be the best, maybe someone else has found something that works better. I have an Exile X2400.1 that is going to push it. I listen to mainly rap music and I want that sucker to pound. I already performed big 3 upgrade and have cap ready to go, my truck is diesel so I have 2 batteries already. I figured FI's specs for enclosure are on the money just looking to see if someone knows a better way. I figured I'd go with an 8 cu ft box tuned at 32 hz. Any help would be appreciated.

hey fellars, could he tune a tad bit higher still yet? :shrug:

sweet sub there , you will be happy

chop

You think I should tune it higher, should I stay within FI spec or higher than that, I think FI says 31-35 not 100% sure

I think you should tune to 35Hz, as most rap music is above that and you don't really have enough cone area IMO to pound really low lows.

Rushrun and I both have Rams similar to yours, I did a wall with 2 RE MT 18"s. He has done quiet a few boxes in his.

The best thing you can do it build a false floor in the rear for the box to sit on. As for port/sub placement, we will wait for Rushrun to post his test results to see what is best for these truck.

Port/sub placement depends on what you're going for..

if it has the two rear doors the truck will act different than my club cab ("solid extended cab-no doors)

box placement changes things... everything you do can change something.. I know how to set my particular truck up for MECA style metering--nothing else... meca style isn't good for sealed dash scores but works decent for daily.

as for the box... I'm not familiar with the btl 18, 8 cubes sounds a little large for a single driver but maybe it works for that sub.. tuning is right... 30-35hz will work.... mines tuned to 24 so it gets low but lacks in the 45-55hz range due to a huge power loss caused by the impedence rise--from tuning the box so low..

Appreciate the help guys. My truck has two rear doors and I am planning on facing sub & port up, now what are ur opinions on slot port vs round port

I'm my opinion you should do 6-7 cubes tuned to 35Hz, sub firing up behind passenger and port out the side behind driver.

ive got a 01 and ive had 2 BL 18's/ multiple 15 setups/4 tens/ 2 12's. pretty much it all. for me subs forward port forward on pass side has worked best. problem goin sub up port up with that 18 is the space. idk about you but i like to sit about 3/4 the way back on the bottom slider and have a decent tilt back on the top. so for me to be comfortable i cant go 18 inch sub up. when i did port up it didnt seem to have the same umf to it. even tho it was the same size box and tuning with same woofers. my roof was louder than sin before i matted it. even still after that, my back window sounded terrible. still does but not as bad when i go woofers forward. ive never tried port side, but i can definately say you wont be dissapointed with sub/ port forward on passenger side. my max specs are like 57 wide and then making a slanted front with 17 on top then 21 on bottom but ive got a battery down there so that limits my bottom then 37 to the roof. i made a false floor so that is gonna be the only way you are gonna get that box to sit good in there because our floors are retarted. also put at least 3 layers of mat on that back wall and sides and up around the back window. it will make a big differnce in sound and feel just by doing that little part. ive done my whole thing 2 layers with that one part 3 layers and it made a differnce for sure. cuts down on window rattle quite a bit too