my97tbird

I have questions about a full set-up

I have a couple questions. First, I will tell you what I have. I have a ported box w/ 2 12's they are DB drive PLW12D4's and each sub has its own amp and the amps are Crunch Pzi 1500.1. I also have a yellow top battery under the hood, a 200 amp alternator, a kinetik 800 battery in the trunk, and a 3.0 farad cap. Ok now I am thinking about adding another 12" DB drive, a sundown 1500 amp, and a custom box which I am thinking of having it made to the specs of the subs and 32Hz. I have a 1997 Ford Thunderbird. Also I have about 36 inches for the face of the box to be so the box fits in the trunk. I am looking for SPL. I use the car as a driver but also take it to shows and I would like a system that is able to get the most out of what I have. So my questions are. What should the specs of the box be? Is 32Hz a good number for the box to be? Will the sundown 1500 be able to power these 3 subs or should I just get a third Crunch amp? Is there an amp that you would recommend and that doest cost to much. I am looking to stay around the $500 mark. Do I really need the cap or is it a waste? Do I have enough power for what I want to set-up? If you have any recommendations please feel free to let me know but I would like to stay with as much of the equipment as possible so im not spending thousands of dollars. Thank you for your time and if you need any more info let me know and I will tell as much as I know but I think I got it all.

Edited by my97tbird

so this is your sub correct? and you have 2 of these right?

http://www.digitalstar.com/product/DB-DRIVE-PLW12D4-PLATINUM-SERIES-DUAL-SUBWOOFER-12-4-OHM.aspx

and this is your amps right

http://techronics.com/caraudio_8735_CRUNCH-PZI-1500-1-1500W-Max-PowerZone-Series-Monoblock-Amplifier.html?aff=72182

now you want to get a 3rd sub and you want to achieve a big boom (higher spl numbers in a show) and you are asking:

1. sub box design

2. amp selection (either 1-saz1500 or another crunch(3 total))

so with 3 12's d4 subs you can have an ohm load of 2.666 or 6ohm. so i guess you would want to run these at 2.66 ohms correct? now with a front face of 36inch long where will the port go as 3-12's = 36inch so you will have to offset these subs. anyways all that aside i would get a bigger rear battery say a knetik hc2000 as for the cap keep it! it can't hurt lol. the cap will smooth out the ripples and give you a cleaner power (near the end of the link) but do you need it NO, i consider a cap to be a glorified voltmeter lol!!

now assuming you have enough room for a nice port for those 3-12's and enough cubic space for the box to fit and you have the electrical to back it all up lets move on!!

now the tuning for your box will depend on your CAR'S resonant frequency

which will help to determine your box's tuning! now keep in mind (this is how i look at it) a lower tuning (30 or less hz) you will Feel it more and if you have higher tuning (say 35-45) you will achieve a higher SPL number but these number will be different in every vehicle.

so now that we determined a box tuning (kind of)

onto your amp selection. if you put all 3 subs on 1-saz1500 you will be putting out less then 800 rms per sub (b/c it is more than 2ohms) so i would recommend getting 2 saz1500 or 2-sae1200's( 280 bnib each) but that will get costly. so maybe just pick up another crunch amp! and away you go!

but with 3- amps you will be drawing something like 200amps (14volts at 3krms ISH) so a bigger battery would help out a lot and more AH for the win lol!

Edited by CrazyKenKid