shizzzon

Massive Electrical Fault...

OK, here is scenario-

Got a 20A relay on remote turn on wire with 3 amps and some leds on it.

The 15A fuse on the relay popped today... that means it drew WAY too much current... i have a short somewhere...

I check-

3 wires were pulled out of the remote turn on distro block that was reading ground....

1 of these wires is an LED wire.

The other 2 wires go to my sundown 100.4 and the other wire goes to both AQ3500Ds remote turn on...

The LED wire reads 0.0 ohms and the turn on wires for all 3 amps are reading 0.2 ohms....

Is the remote turn on's grounded?

Did the led wire cause a massive surge through all the remote turn ons?

r u saying they were yanked out or you took them out.?

nothing got yanked, i pulled them out to test each wire wired into the block.

There were 9 wired ran into this block... 3 were readind 0.2 ohms or lower which was 1 LED wire and 2 remote turn on wires for amps.

sounds wierd. not totally sure. we know it blew but IMO I think it might just be to many items on the the relay. or like you said there was a sudden surge

maximum current draw is less than 3A for everything on there.. that's the whole point of the relay.

We know the fuse popped due to the led strip grounding... but even if the led was fused with an itty bitty fuse.. i'm sure the same thing would have happened what i think has happened...

0 ohms means that there is an open path. 0.2 ohms means that it is connected to something.

How did you test these? Did you go from led to ground? What about the turn on? Did you go turn on to distro?

I'm assuming that 0.2 ohms means ground with resistance somewhere..

If i'm wrong then that could be good or bad depending on the problem...

Measured as follows-

Once i isolated which wires were reading super low-

Connected negative probe to battery ground, positive probe probed each wire separately.

I then disconnected the remote turn on wire coming out of the sundown amp and measured as follows-

Sundown ground - 0.0 ohms(normal)

Sundown remote - 0.2 ohms(i dont think that's normal because DB-R tested resistance on a 1500d an hour ago and it didn't read anywhere near that low)

Sundown power - nothing registered(normal)

Are you looking for a short of some sort? Touch the two probes together and see what they read. Then try placing the pos at one end of the wire and the neg at the other end. If it reads the same the wire is fine.

hehe, i've removed the wiring out of the system...

IT's down to the amps now.

The troubleshooting step is why are the amps not coming on..

I'm trying to see if it's possible that the low current short could have possibly damaged all 3 amp's remote turn ons...

i'm afraid the wire will catch fire due to the low resistance... I wil have to find my old atc fuse holder and run a fuse in it to try that.

Just get a fuse and wrap it around both ends of the fuse. Mickey mouse that bitch for now. Its only to test.

i'm afraid the wire will catch fire due to the low resistance... I wil have to find my old atc fuse holder and run a fuse in it to try that.

For a turn on? No.

lol..

No.

Just splice a bit from your power wire to your remote. That'll tell you whether the turn on is damaged.

For a turn on? No.

lol..

No.

Just splice a bit from your power wire to your remote. That'll tell you whether the turn on is damaged.

Yeah that should work because after re-installing my amps this past weekend I noticed my amp keep popping on and off with no remote power wire/radio off (thought it was wierd), then noticed like 2 fray wires from the positive wire in the positive terminal were barely touching the remote start terminal causing it to go on and off like that. So that amount of power wont hurt it for a few seconds, just see if amp comes on or not.

Everything works now!

That one wire that was grounding was still making contact to my main block.. it's gone now...

All amps work fine now.

Apparently the fuse that popped before the relay prevented damage so that's good.

Thats one thing I love about systems, everytime something goes wrong we think its something major and usually you can fix it in 5 minutes or cost you less than $5 to fix it but it takes you hours to find what needs to be fixed. Good job and great troubleshooting.

thanks.

The LED strip that was doing is was cut...

These are wheel well lights... The leds are encased in very strong material but output very flimsy 22awg wire.

I'm removing all lights going to the block until i get a fuse in line with all of them before they reach the block so if any of them do it again, the amps won't be effected.

Smart thinking to eliminate that problem in the future, have you decided if your going to redo your wall or is it gonna stay the same for awhile. Later on I want to go over some box designs, so pm whenever you get a chance. Thankx

i'm keepin it for a while... don't know when i'll tear it out yet.. or will i? hehe.

I will never decide to tear it out until i get my 24,000w of power in the car.