jellyfish420

stereo vs surround

i've been hearing that stereo>mono>surround.

why is that. i've been wanting to do something cool for the house but i don't know what to do. i used to have a dvd player w/ surround built in. $100 walmart special. well it just crapped out. so i was wondering what a good "stereo" setup would consist of that would be better than surround. i'm kinda cheap and i like to do stuff myself so it'll be DIY. i already know i need a nice sub and amp for the sub. but what would the front be? 4's, 2's, 6.5's??? i hope you get what i'm saying.....

I answered your question over on CA.com as well, but...

I prefer a good two-channel playback system for simple audio...with the correct amp and speaker choice, and a little forethought in installing your system, you can achieve quite a holographic and fluid soundstage.

I answered your question over on CA.com as well, but...

I prefer a good two-channel playback system for simple audio...with the correct amp and speaker choice, and a little forethought in installing your system, you can achieve quite a holographic and fluid soundstage.

ya.. i seen. i like to post the same q on a couple diff forums, cause every forum has favorite way to do stuff, so i get a couple diff choice, or ways to do the same thing, if you will. i asked another q on ca.com, but.....

i wanna try the rear loaded horns. i've been reading all about them and its about time i try something...what would you suggest for a decent, cheap setup?

I'm a firm believer in the stereo > mono > surround setup. You need a really big living room to properly set up a surround sound setup and have it not resonate off walls and stuff. I have a similar surround sound setup (Durabrand, yay!) that is collecting dust because I simply choose not to use it in favor of some Jensen towers.

My sugguestion: It's the start of June! Look around yard sales for used towers. This time of year you're bound to find at least one set being sold dirt cheap because some speakers in it are blown. Replace any necessary speakers with some partsexpress similars (talk to Squeak9798) and find a decent amp for them. I've never needed more than 25 watts for an in home setup, but that's personal preference.

No more than 25W. I like around 200W to 2 massive tower speakers.

Unless you're running electrostats like Maggies, you don't need over 25-35 wpc.

Having very efficient speakers is a good thing.

Stats! YUMMY!!

IMO, surround has NO place when listening to music, unless it is of the DVD-audio variety. Even then I really don't see the need as a true soundstage will not "surround" you.

Since when was Pro audio effecient ? ;)

Since when was Pro audio effecient ?

Oh, I don't know...maybe since LBJ was in office?

:D

Since you didn't have 30 to 40 decibels of external noise to counter like in car audio. ;)

Whatever happened to text smilies? Sometimes a gif image just doesn't do justice to good old-fashioned 12 point Vernada..

You can turn off smileys...I think.

:/

Since you didn't have 30 to 40 decibels of external noise to counter like in car audio. ;)

Whatever happened to text smilies? Sometimes a gif image just doesn't do justice to good old-fashioned 12 point Vernada..

Its properly spelled Verdana...... :poop:

And x2 on the noise thing. You don't have to overcome all that road/engine noise and vibration, so there is no need to run more power. Watts aren't everything ;)

I'm willing to bet that Supa has never heard a good low-power setup before; so I'll call it back :D

If it doesnt rattle your brains it sucks

^^^ hasn't heard a high quality, properly tuned low-power system.

Sorry to break it to you, but I have... (Studio ;) )

Bottom line here is that sound is not all about power handling capabilities.

studio, you mean some guys living room

please excuse the sibling rivalry....

um, no, and thats not the studio im talking about. i've worked in more than one.

what are you trying to prove here? and more importantly, do you honestly think this is making me look bad?

6.gif

Stick your head in there, if you don't think it can get bone-jarringly loud. I bet those things can get to the point of pain off a watt and a half.

Even with medium to high efficiency speaks (like 92 to 96dB, a good range), 3 to 5 watts is really all you need for comfortable listening. I'm not using the tube system for home theater or parties...that's what the NAD and JBL's (eventually with the TC prototype and 1kW rack amp) are for. The triodes are for when I feel like relaxing, or studying, or simply want to hear some great sounding music without my ears bleeding off.

If nothing else, listening too loud, all the time, will result in you talking like Lil' Jon when you're 30 :D

Insane what a few watts and some creative woodworking will do