pat656

a few electrical questions

so i didnt know where to put this, but feel free to move it

i am doing an overhall on my car and setting up a friends so i figured i would do it right the first time

i have installed a few systems, but never but a second battery in a car

so im putting the same system in my car and a friends which consists of a 3000W fusion amp, FI BL12 fully loaded subs (dual 2 ohm) and an extra battery

the cars are an 03 525i and 2008 Wrangler

so i figured 1/0 wire to connect the new battery and 4 gauge from the battery to amp

do i need a fuse between the car battery and audio battery and audio to amp or just on the power wire to the amp, and how big of a fuse (the amp has 4x40amp fuses)

and then i was thinking 12 gauge from the amp to sub

also do i need a battery isolator and if so which one

so this is the plan:

12 ga from amp to sub

4 gauge with fuse from 1400W battery with some type of isolator

1/0 ga from car battery to audio battery

sound good?

Patrick

so im putting the same system in my car and a friends which consists of a 3000W fusion amp, FI BL12 fully loaded subs (dual 2 ohm) and an extra battery

so i figured 1/0 wire to connect the new battery and 4 gauge from the battery to amp

do i need a fuse between the car battery and audio battery and audio to amp or just on the power wire to the amp, and how big of a fuse (the amp has 4x40amp fuses)

so this is the plan:

12 ga from amp to sub

sound good?

Patrick

Ok couple of things:

that fusion amp WILL NOT give you 3000 watts not even on its best of days. if it has 4x40 amp fuses. that 160amps. to figure out wattage out OHMS LAW-- voltage x amperage.

let's figure a good voltage of 14.5 -- 14.5 x 160 amps= 2320 watts total. seeing how your probably won't get 14.5 volts constant. it wll be even lower.

the run from the front battery to the back battery should be fused twice, one as close to the front battery and the second as close to the back battery as you can.

second if you can get zero gauge into the amp.DO IT!

Third. You have to do the big three in all zero gauge if possible

Fourth. NO ISOLATOR!. in my experience they add resistance and they are not needed unless you plan on bumping while the car is off and you want to spare your starter battery and i wouldn't suggest that.

Edited by djphilly

so i didnt know where to put this, but feel free to move it

i am doing an overhall on my car and setting up a friends so i figured i would do it right the first time

i have installed a few systems, but never but a second battery in a car

so this is the plan:

12 ga from amp to sub

sound good?

Patrick

How about reading the thread names, we have a section that says Amplifiers, Head-Units, Electrical (it would go in the electrical section). Everytime you post you type "I dont know where this goes, nobody does that". Just read each sections title and description about it under the title and post in appropriate section, its not taht hard man, at all just takes some reading and common sense.

I dont see the amp being that powerful, when you look at its specs it is only rated at 1500rms x 1 @ 1 ohm (the 3000w rating is max). But that amp will push that BL very well.

Battery #1--- fuse ---------------------------------------- fuse ----- Battery #2 (1/0 AWG wire)

Battery #2--- fuse -----------------------------------------------------Amp (1/0 AWG wire)

No Isolator unless you play with your car off alot, if not then it is not needed.

so this is the plan:

12 ga from amp to sub

sound good?

Patrick

Ok couple of things:

that fusion amp WILL NOT give you 3000 watts not even on its best of days. if it has 4x40 amp fuses. that 160amps. to figure out wattage out OHMS LAW-- voltage x amperage.

let's figure a good voltage of 14.5 -- 14.5 x 160 amps= 2320 watts total. seeing how your probably won't get 14.5 volts constant. it wll be even lower.

the run from the front battery to the back battery should be fused twice, one as close to the front battery and the second as close to the back battery as you can.

Fourth. NO ISOLATOR!. in my experience they add resistance and they are not needed unless you plan on bumping while the car is off and you want to spare your starter battery and i wouldn't suggest that.

ok thanks

i know it wont run 3000W, i just said that so people know which one i am talking about

i am working on the big three now

the amp will barely hold 4 gauge wire, so do i need to run 1/0 to an adapter?

You can buy an adaptor but if you already have the 4 guage than it will be fine, most will tell you to up it to 1/0 awg but it isnt really worth it.

I would just do it like this:

Battery #2 to fuse block 1/0 awg wire and the wire leaving fuse block going to amp use 4 gauge and you will be cool.

ok thanks, now time to go shopping!!

Buy me some 1/0 awg while your out, appreciate it.

so this is the plan:

12 ga from amp to sub

sound good?

Patrick

Ok couple of things:

ok thanks

i know it wont run 3000W, i just said that so people know which one i am talking about

i am working on the big three now

the amp will barely hold 4 gauge wire, so do i need to run 1/0 to an adapter?

Get a reducer :drink40: