is there any difference between welding wire and your normal power wire you would buy from a car audio company?

is there any difference between welding wire and your normal power wire you would buy from a car audio company?

the car audio wire has a nicer look.....

the welding wire has a cheaper price.....

there are some science majors on here that can tell you the rest of it....lol,

just my .02 for ya.

chop

welding wire has a much weaker jacket and you have to be extra carefull when using it!

like when you go though the firewall you have to use gromets and when going around sharp corners or rubbing spots you HAVE to tape them off or put something soft between the wire and the object. the car audio wiring cost more b/c it has a tougher jacket!

welding wire has a much weaker jacket and you have to be extra carefull when using it!

like when you go though the firewall you have to use gromets and when going around sharp corners or rubbing spots you HAVE to tape them off or put something soft between the wire and the object. the car audio wiring cost more b/c it has a tougher jacket!

is welding wire generally as flexible as car audio power wire?

in some cases i believe it is MORE flexible due to the jacket being the way it is. but wiat for someone else who has used this stuff before comment on it. i haven't used it yet b/c i am not ready yet (still in school) to upgrade from 1/0 to 4/0. but it will happen..someday lol!

in some cases i believe it is MORE flexible due to the jacket being the way it is. but wiat for someone else who has used this stuff before comment on it. i haven't used it yet b/c i am not ready yet (still in school) to upgrade from 1/0 to 4/0. but it will happen..someday lol!

im right there with ya... im still running 4 guage LOL

lol true that! i remeber back in the day when i though 4gauge was pretty nice! then i got 1/0 and now i am looking at 4/0 lmoa!! so much bigger!!

Hey buddy......i got to speak up on that one..... that is not consistant with each brand of welding cable.....

the 2/0 gauge welding cable that i have ran in the Dakota has a 1/8th" outer jacket and a 1/16th" inner jacket that is tough as nails....

being a Ironworker, I have had my fair share of welding cable in my hands over the past 13 yrs. we drag this cable, several hundred feet at times, acrosss steel, high in the air.....live! you can imagine if it were to cut and arc out, not a good thing.

there is some "Billy Bad Ass" car audio cable out there, just the same, there is some welding cable that is top notch, in almost every senario , it will be cheaper, there is no mark up on it due to the car audio hype,

some of this companies can sell audio equipment 230% mark up and they will get it for a while too!

there is some good welding cable out there.... just fyi.

okay , i got that all out there, lol.

chop

Hey buddy......i got to speak up on that one..... that is not consistant with each brand of welding cable.....

the 2/0 gauge welding cable that i have ran in the Dakota has a 1/8th" outer jacket and a 1/16th" inner jacket that is tough as nails....

being a Ironworker, I have had my fair share of welding cable in my hands over the past 13 yrs. we drag this cable, several hundred feet at times, acrosss steel, high in the air.....live! you can imagine if it were to cut and arc out, not a good thing.

there is some "Billy Bad Ass" car audio cable out there, just the same, there is some welding cable that is top notch, in almost every senario , it will be cheaper, there is no mark up on it due to the car audio hype,

some of this companies can sell audio equipment 230% mark up and they will get it for a while too!

chop

that cool! like i siad i never used it in car audio or in real life so it is all new to me! it is good you chimed in to clear that up though! i guess the only wire i am used to is the welding wire i used on my shops tig welder and that stuff o man you had to be careful with it!

hoping mdizzle has the picture of the welding cable i traded him....

2/0 gauge welding cable circled in two coils, the same diameter as my fist.....

yes it is pretty flexable as well.....

chop

lol true that! i remeber back in the day when i though 4gauge was pretty nice! then i got 1/0 and now i am looking at 4/0 lmoa!! so much bigger!!

i might be guilty of over kill , but i am using 4 gauge for my speaker wire! lol.

chop

chop

im confused... are you saying that its simply just the same thing as car audio power wire?

i might be guilty of over kill , but i am using 4 gauge for my speaker wire! lol.

chop

lol 4gauge lmoa! hell with 4 gauge you can power like 90amps at 1ohm is like 4krms lmoa!! over kill!!!! and how did you fit 4guage in a 8gauge push terminal? those little reducers or like trim the wire down A LOT lol

Edited by CrazyKenKid

chop

that cool! like i siad i never used it in car audio or in real life so it is all new to me! it is good you chimed in to clear that up though! i guess the only wire i am used to is the welding wire i used on my shops tig welder and that stuff o man you had to be careful with it!

no problem..... yes the welding lead ( cable ) used with a tig set up is no comparison to what is hooked up to a big ass diesel , Lincoln welder and drug all over the job site for 6 to 8 months.....

tigging in shop class = ftw, keep it up!

chop

Edited by porkchop

chop

lol 4gauge lmoa! hell with 4 gauge you can power like 90amps at 1ohm is like 4krms lmoa!! over kill!!!! and how did you fit 4guage in a 8gauge push terminal? those little reducers or like trim the wire down A LOT lol

yeah we trimmed her up some..lol .... see build log

for sure or tig welder is awesome! it is water cooled and it is very easy to use! hell i got a hard time welding with arc but tig is awesome!!

chop

im confused... are you saying that its simply just the same thing as car audio power wire?

i'm sorry, it is not as easy as that to say i am afraid...... everything is relitive,

however , apples to apples, quality, size and jacket being of an equal.....

the car audio will be better looking and the welding cable will be cheaper...

just understand there are alot of varibles and i don't want o miss lead you.

you are on the right track currently, doing your homework first befroe buying.

chop

for sure or tig welder is awesome! it is water cooled and it is very easy to use! hell i got a hard time welding with arc but tig is awesome!!

lol @ us, i am sorry for the thread jacking here buddy,

yeah the tigs are sweet, but i usually am welding very heavy gauge steel, I am better at arc welding, it gives me a free hand to hold my beer. lol, jk.

chop

lol @ us, i am sorry for the thread jacking here buddy,

yeah the tigs are sweet, but i usually am welding very heavy gauge steel, I am better at arc welding, it gives me a free hand to hold my beer. lol, jk.

chop

Hey i never thought of it like that!! lol!!

and yes very sorry for thread jacking!!

So the welding wire 0/4 is ok to use for runs from main battery to secondary battery? Rite? And can you use the 0/4 for a big 3 upgrade

yes! to both questions! and for refer it is 4/0 not 0/4. i myself was corrected on this LITTLE technicality!!!

So just to but in, basically you can save a bunch of $$$ by using welding wire for everything instead of car audio wire? So beside from the RCAs, I can use welding wire for power, speaker, and even remote turn on, (although they probably don't make that small of a gauge)?