loondizie52

can you put a 7 groove belt on a 6 groove pulley?

ive got a 300 amp alt that is made for a 08 ram. its a 6 groove pulley though, my old one is 7, can i put the 7 groove belt on the 6 groove pulley without changing the pulley?

I would contact Dom at Iraggi and ask him personally. I know my mechman said it was ok but alts are different. Something about the belt starts on the inside (closest to the block) of the pulley and the excess hangs over the outside.

i just swtiched the pulleys. all worked out great

I hope the pulleys were the same size.

Edited by bigrank916

well the pulley from the new alt was a little smaller than the stock one. so now the new alt has the stock size one. its not much bigger, just a little.

haha k well nvm my last few posts. it didnt work out. it was cool at first then like an hour later wouldnt hold charge or even keep up voltage without reving it. so i pulled it out again, switched pulleys back. now its good! 14 volts steady off the alt. the pulleys were only an 1/8 of an inch diff and it made that big of a difference. only thing i dont like is how the belt hangs off the edge

haha k well nvm my last few posts. it didnt work out. it was cool at first then like an hour later wouldnt hold charge or even keep up voltage without reving it. so i pulled it out again, switched pulleys back. now its good! 14 volts steady off the alt. the pulleys were only an 1/8 of an inch diff and it made that big of a difference. only thing i dont like is how the belt hangs off the edge

Hope nothing bad happened to your alt. The size of the pulley makes a huge difference in the revolutions of the alt. The smaller pulley might have caused the alt to spin too many revs. I dont know for sure but thats why they are custom made.

the new alt had the smaller of the 2, so he put a bigger pulley onto it, so it actually spun at a lower RPM than with its original belt.

Say goodbye to your belt. Also, you can guarantee slippage very soon. BTW, 1/8" in diameter difference will not make the difference between charging and not. Something else was the problem.

The high output alts are borderline turning on with standard size pulley's on many vehicles. I have to use a set screw to mechanically increase the idle RPM on my suburban to keep the alt from shutting off at idle. That was before everyone started using smaller pulley's.

I bet you eat through belts with it hanging over the edge. Might be better to look on the Goodyear website to find the equivalent length belt in a 6 grove and try that. The belt hanging over the edge cannot be good. I woudl think an unused grove on the rest of the system woudl be better if it does not cause everything to slip.

Best solution would be to have the smaller 7 grove pulley on your alt. . .but I take it no one makes one?? If not, the standard size 7 grove and manually increase you idle RPM.

Brian

i had a pully fucking rape my mind for like 4 months an a lincoln... every month i was buying a belt.. and cheanging diffrent shit like my idel pully and what not... but it turned out to be the pring size pully.. a little to small if i remember corectly.