Sign in to follow this  
kryptonitewhite

Alpine PXA-H701 users, experience, sellers

Anyone own any of these? Can I get 4 bandpassed outputs with it? I need 3 -way active... 2 outs for tweets HP, 2 outs for 4" BP, and 2 outs for 6.5" BP.... most crossovers only have 2 HP, 2BP, 2LP.... but I need FOUR bandpassed.

Anyone selling any? Crutchfield says discontinued!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A2KFWiqFKq0/p_500PXAH701/Alpine-PXA-H701.html]Alpine PXA-H701 Multichannel audio processor at Crutchfield.com

Thanks!

yes this unit is one of few that has 4 sets of outputs, so in reality you are running a 4-way system including the woofers even though it is commonly called a 3-way system, alpine is one of few companies that understand this. awesome unit, and some of the better capabilities found out there, especially for the money. only unit that is similar price range that really compares is the new audison bitone. you may be able to find an h701 on ebay, or on an SQ forum, usually one or two floatin around on www.buwaldahybrids.com check out the classifieds last I saw someone was selling one.

Yes, you can bandpass two sets of channels, plus have a pair of channels for your tweeters and the subwoofer output. It's capable of 4-way outputs.

Yes, the H701 was discontinued by Alpine. I would suggest either ebay or the classifieds section at www.diymobileaudio.com for sourcing one. It seems there is always atleast one for sale at any given time on DIYMA.

Yes, you can bandpass two sets of channels, plus have a pair of channels for your tweeters and the subwoofer output. It's capable of 4-way outputs.

Yes, the H701 was discontinued by Alpine. I would suggest either ebay or the classifieds section at www.diymobileaudio.com for sourcing one. It seems there is always atleast one for sale at any given time on DIYMA.

Do you know why they discontinued it?

I don't know that I've seen an "official" reason from Alpine. My guess would be sluggish sales, or that they planned to phase it out with their integration of Imprint and Imprint-based processors. IMO 5.1 hasn't ever really caught on in car audio for whatever reason, and majority of the masses don't have a clue how to use the H701 for an active setup. Imprint probably meshes better with the masses due to it's relative ease of use and lack of adjustable features, even though it screws us enthusiasts.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised it was around as long as it was.

I don't know that I've seen an "official" reason from Alpine. My guess would be sluggish sales, or that they planned to phase it out with their integration of Imprint and Imprint-based processors. IMO 5.1 hasn't ever really caught on in car audio for whatever reason, and majority of the masses don't have a clue how to use the H701 for an active setup. Imprint probably meshes better with the masses due to it's relative ease of use and lack of adjustable features, even though it screws us enthusiasts.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised it was around as long as it was.

So your saying that if your a true SQ head then the H701 would be for you and if your just the average user who is trying to tame there active setup then the imprint is for you?

Imprint has much less user adjustability......from the last of it I saw (which was when it was first released, but I don't believe it has changed any) the Imprint only allowed you to select from 3 preset "curves" with no adjustability thereafter. Good for a novice who has no idea what they are doing, but very limiting for anyone skilled in the craft who could get better results from tuning themselves.

Well thanks for the input, my questions have helped me and the OP at the same time.

i just got an alpine iva-w505 and 701 processor on a trade. I will have it saturday. From what i have seen, it will take me several weeks or months to figure it out. LOL. I will post pics of all then and if i get my old kenwood 991 back, i may sell the alpine

i just got an alpine iva-w505 and 701 processor on a trade. I will have it saturday. From what i have seen, it will take me several weeks or months to figure it out. LOL. I will post pics of all then and if i get my old kenwood 991 back, i may sell the alpine

thank you all for the great input! lots of good info. your deck eliminates the need for the controller, correct? and you may look to get rid of the HU and crossover? kryptonitewhite@hotmail.com !

All the imprint I've heard has sounded clinical and boring when used in AUTO mode......... H701 is a great little device and combined with a nice touch screen headunit is VERY good to use (like the W505 above from memory).

I'm half tempted to get one myself (although expensive over here in Aust).

Jono

the guy im gettin it from has the 701 hooked to 505 with the ai net cable (believe thats what it is called), he just got it installed at audio x, i believe he said steve cook set it up. I traded him all my stereo a while back, now he wants his back seat back and stereo back close to stock. So we traded back, and he is giving me the deck and processor also. I will take pics saturday, and will email you then if i am selling it. I really dont need something like that, but gettin since it was in the trade.

the guy im gettin it from has the 701 hooked to 505 with the ai net cable (believe thats what it is called), he just got it installed at audio x, i believe he said steve cook set it up. I traded him all my stereo a while back, now he wants his back seat back and stereo back close to stock. So we traded back, and he is giving me the deck and processor also. I will take pics saturday, and will email you then if i am selling it. I really dont need something like that, but gettin since it was in the trade.

sounds good!

so here's the list I have of Alpine compatible HUs:

CDA-9887 looks simple, plain, solid. cheap...$270

The W200 looks awesome, plays DVD's? About $400 on ebay. I've been trying so hard to keep from going surround... just too much work as it is stereo 4way active, and, I'll have remote turn on wire toggle switches so I can turn the tweets/4's/6.5's/21's off and on separately... amping is easy if I stick to what i got...but 5.1 would be SICK!

W205 I like the A/V in and out, I'll need a rearview cam for the wall, I want easy RCA input so I can hook up a laptop, hell a guitar if I want, about anything. Almost $600 ebay... more processing and amplification?

D105 DiviX!!!! I just started downloading movies again, I need to get Hulk, WOTWs, Pods? The super low stuff! Not even on ebay LOL ACC?

D106 crutchfield doesn't say discontinued! $900! Not much info on it. $700 ebay. ACC files?

the 205 and 505 are the best options. I have the 9887 and love it, using it to run my current active setup. I do not believe it is compatible with the h701 though, just the new imprints.

They rid the 701 because it is their lower level processor. They replaced it with the imprint stuff. For the enthusiasts they have the H900 in the F1 status line, but it is wicked expensive. I wish they would have just made a small improvement on the H701, like give it the OPTION to have the auto-tuning feature on the imprint, but keep all the same older features. who knows maybe they will bring it back next year!

the audison bit one is pretty sick though, I would recommend at least taking a look at it!

sounds good!

so here's the list I have of Alpine compatible HUs:

CDA-9887 looks simple, plain, solid. cheap...$270

The W200 looks awesome, plays DVD's? About $400 on ebay. I've been trying so hard to keep from going surround... just too much work as it is stereo 4way active, and, I'll have remote turn on wire toggle switches so I can turn the tweets/4's/6.5's/21's off and on separately... amping is easy if I stick to what i got...but 5.1 would be SICK!

W205 I like the A/V in and out, I'll need a rearview cam for the wall, I want easy RCA input so I can hook up a laptop, hell a guitar if I want, about anything. Almost $600 ebay... more processing and amplification?

D105 DiviX!!!! I just started downloading movies again, I need to get Hulk, WOTWs, Pods? The super low stuff! Not even on ebay LOL ACC?

D106 crutchfield doesn't say discontinued! $900! Not much info on it. $700 ebay. ACC files?

The Alpine DVA-9860 and DVA-9861 are both single DIN DVD players that will also control the H701. They are both discontinued units, so will either be NOS or used......but possibly more affordable.

The W505 will also control the H701, but IIRC it uses a proprietary optical cable which can be a PITA to find and expensive.

I have a 9860 that I used to use, and currently use a W200 with my H701.

the optical is sooo worth it though, adds just that little extra! of course only worth it if you are doing a dedicated SQ system.