smullen

Alarm System for New Ride???

As I posted on another section I got a new (to me) Daily Driver... Its a 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer...

Cliff Notes:

Before I haul off and put a few K into an audio system, I kinda want to get a really good Alarm...

What Systems are the Best and Why???

What Systems are are POS and Why???

I'm trying to do alot of reading and researching on this to make sure I make a good descision..

My concerns are the Alarm being a POS and the install being a POS...

The reason, my last two Alarms were DEI - Viper systems and I had several issues with them...

Long Story if you wanna Read the whole Novel:

The 1st (a low end unit, probably a dealer add on) came on my 1996 GMC Sonoma, Ex Cab, when I bought it... It fried or something and left me stranded in a lot... After checking every fuse and connection I could find and making a few phone calls, I finally, just unplugged the big wiring harness that goes in each side of the brain and it started and drove fine no problems, cept no more crappy alarm...

Second was a higher end Viper on my 2000 Blazer thats my play around vehicle mostly used for crusing and car shows...

I can't remember the model, but it was the one that has the two way remotes that have the LCD of a truck and shows it running (via autostart), shows shock senser, Glass Break Senser, what Zone was tripped, etc...

I had about every option too... Three back up sirens each with Backup Batts, a hidden back up bat for the brain, Interior Pain Generator (damn that thing was LOUD) and anything else they had to add on at the time...

This thing was problems from the start, The batteries in the remote only lasted a week or so, not long after I had it I discovered that everytime I used the Autostart, it caused problems with the transmission and shifting out of 1st, till I let it sit for awhile, and turned it off and on a few times it would straighen up... The I had problems with the lights and locks... It goes on and on.....

I tried to take it back to the plae that did it, but it had been like 3 months and while I was in the process of fighting with them, they up and closed their doors... Outta Business...

So, I'm a bit shy on spending good money on a alarm and having it give me a ton of headache...

There are so many wires and the newwer vehicles are so F'in complicated.... Gives me pimples...

Cause when you have problems, What do you do? The Car Dealer will Blame it on the Alarm Dealer while But Raping you and not fixing it, the Alarm Dealer will just Blame it on the Car Dealer while you are just ass out stuck...

OK, Enough of my ranting...

Back to Business...

What Systems are the Best and Why???

What Systems are are POS and Why???

Edited by smullen

Viper and other DEi brands are in my opinion the "best". The product is only as good as the install. I installed a Viper remote start and alarm and have never had a single problem. Batteries in my two way don't last a super long time, but there's some higher end Viper systems that have rechargable remotes.

Remote starts run in parallel with factory systems so they don't mess with the factory system, however, when you add in modules to bypass ignitions and integrate door locks, things can get tricky, but a good installer can get everything to work fine without any problems. I have no idea how a R/S would even mess with the shifting for a vehicle though. At the shop I work at, we will get everything to work, and if there are ever problems, we take care of them. We have very good relations with all the dealers in the area, so if need be, they help us, or vice versa.

I'd be more concerned with the shop that installs the system, than the system itself.

I'd be more concerned with the shop that installs the system, than the system itself.

I can certianly see your points...

Sucks as I've been kinda out of the industry for abit and have no real way to tell about a shop... Every shop I go to is bound to tell me they are the best...

I've Hauled off and got married, re-modeled a house, few other family projects, and done a ton of things to take me out of the Custm Car/Car Audio world... So, I no longer have the same Car Audio circle connections I used to have and most of the people I now associate with think stereos are cool, but are not going to spend any money on it.. Over the last few years I've tried to keep up, but I've slowly sliped away.. :(... I'm still sad that all the "True" Car Audio Mags are dead and gone...

I'll have to go visit a few shops and see whats doin...

Thanks for the reply...

I have a Crime Guard 750i6. It works really well when you find a place to mount the shock sensor. The only think I can think of that would be a problem is leaving the trunk light off, it'll go off randomly. It's not much of an issue though. I like that the key chain goes off if you're within a quarter mile from the car, and chirps any time the alarm is activated or deactivated, too. Has the kill switch, of course. I would recommend it.

I agree. I had a Viper alarm professionally installed that worked flawless for me. Also had a Crime Guard not so professionally installed in a separate vehicle that I was not happy with. I believe the CG would have been great if I had taken the time to find a more professional installer.

I have an Excalibur system installed, with the remote pager... it's been pretty reliable so far (mostly for catching these neighborhood kids kicking their football around and nailing my car lol...) but honestly, among the major brands you can't really go wrong.. in MY opinion, it's who installs the system that matters...

...the idiots who put mine in neglected to set the sensitivity correctly for my shock sensors - a week later my car got side-swiped in my apartment complex and I was none the wiser... didn't even give a warning chirp :suicide-santa:

get it done by a reputable shop or if you're a DIY-kinda guy make sure you triple check your work...

Oh nice Deville taillights BTW :drink40::drink40:

Edited by CadillacMatt

Oh nice Deville taillights BTW trink40.giftrink40.gif

Thanks man! I kinda dig'em... Now if I could just shrink down an Esclade front clip, It'd be on... Not to many Blazers done like that...

Edited by smullen