Sign in to follow this  
ener.g

reconed my 18" BTL

just finished reconing my 18" BTL a few days ago.. been breaking it in at low volume.. after i thought it was broken in, i turned it up slowly and as i started getting to about 1/4-3/8s level of where i would normally play at my sub makes some what of a clicking noise to the sound of the bass, kinda sounds like plastic on plastic nocking/rattling.. any ideas from any one here as to what it could be ? havent pulled the sub out of the box yet to check anything, dont want to if i dont have to..

just finished reconing my 18" BTL a few days ago.. been breaking it in at low volume.. after i thought it was broken in, i turned it up slowly and as i started getting to about 1/4-3/8s level of where i would normally play at my sub makes some what of a clicking noise to the sound of the bass, kinda sounds like plastic on plastic nocking/rattling.. any ideas from any one here as to what it could be ? havent pulled the sub out of the box yet to check anything, dont want to if i dont have to..

Well I guess you dont want to know whats wrong, just cause your lazy dont let it stop you from finding the source to your problem, (especially if you cant find the problem externally). Just my .02 check the subwoofer and make sure everything is fine.

Check the dust cap and make sure it is glued down good.

Check the dust cap and make sure it is glued down good.

that was my first thought, checked that and it was all good.

its not that i'm being lazy, its an 18" sub the box aint very easily removed by my self, since this is the first sub i've ever reconed i wasnt sure if maybe i just needed to break it in more and it would go away or what the deal was, didnt wanna pull it for nothing..

Breaking a sub in is a myth. If that sub had a problem it would have shown itself whether you cranked it the first day or the 100th day.

Pull it out and check the sub.

Breaking a sub in is a myth. If that sub had a problem it would have shown itself whether you cranked it the first day or the 100th day.

Pull it out and check the sub.

But if I jus got a brand new sub and cranked it all the way up, wouldn't the spider rip ?

spider separated from the basket.. must have cranked it too early before the epoxy dries, i have never "broken a sub in" when i get them its beat em right out of the box, but this one, seeing as how it was fresh epoxy and solder, and the first time i rebuilt a sub, figured i should go a little easy on it..

re-epoxied the spider on, not playing it till tomorrow this time lol

No

Well that's good to know. Guess I can hear what my new sub can do right off the bat.

back to hittin hard.. sounds a little different than before with the new style cone, not sure if its that or if my old one was getting a soft spider.. this one is a lot deeper..

Scott, Would you recommend reconing a sub yourself of having a shop do it? I have old RE Audio 18 that I need to have reconed and I have been debating this

It'd be simple. I've Had my sub apart a few times because of manufacturer defects when they did the re-cone. Needless to say, Adire isn't in business anymore, and the bad quality was during their last days I'm sorry to say.

What kind of glue did you use? Was the basket surface really clean???? how long did you wait before you played it?

Did you remove the dust cap and re-align the coil before you glued it back down? I leave the shims in and let the glue completely dry before I remove them. Once it is dry, remove the shims, solder the leads, glue down the cap.

Playing hte sub at low volumes does not break it in. have to get the suspension moving to break it in. . .

lt1jerome... its not a hard process if you are methodical and clean about things. What RE is it?

Thanks,

Scott

Sign in to follow this