ExplicitYourSelf

Looking for a SQ sub

I currently have a 12" L7 kicker DVC 4ohm With a 3.75^ 3.0cubic feet at 35hz enclosure. Im loooking into getting a subwoofe that has good sound quality that can possibly get loud and sound clean. The amp ihave is a kicker mono amp 08 ZX 750.1. It is 2ohm stable. Accoriding to its birth sheet if i can remember correctly, it was putting out 823 rms watts I was looking into the 12" JL audio W6 v2. BUT I was looking at the 12" Fi Q So i was leaning towards it... My car is daily driven and im not sure about the options for the Fi Q sub. I am a noob to this car audio stuff and dont really know what is what. Since i am looking for SQ i dont know wether i should go sealed or ported. The music i listen to is hip-hop, trance and sometimes rock. Im also wondering what size i shall keep the enclosure if i was to go ported and i wansnt sure what Hz to port the tune at. I really hope i can get some help before i make an error on what i am buying. Another thing, there is a fiq dual 1ohm and dual2ohm, My amp is 2ohm stable so what would i have to get?? Feedback is appriiciated. THNX

You are using a definition of SQ that makes no sense, the new member guideline threads in my sig will help with that.

What don't you like about your L7's? Once we know that we can help. ;)

I currently have a 12" L7 kicker DVC 4ohm With a 3.75^ 3.0cubic feet at 35hz enclosure. Im loooking into getting a subwoofe that has good sound quality that can possibly get loud and sound clean. The amp ihave is a kicker mono amp 08 ZX 750.1. It is 2ohm stable. Accoriding to its birth sheet if i can remember correctly, it was putting out 823 rms watts I was looking into the 12" JL audio W6 v2. BUT I was looking at the 12" Fi Q So i was leaning towards it... My car is daily driven and im not sure about the options for the Fi Q sub. I am a noob to this car audio stuff and dont really know what is what. Since i am looking for SQ i dont know wether i should go sealed or ported. The music i listen to is hip-hop, trance and sometimes rock. Im also wondering what size i shall keep the enclosure if i was to go ported and i wansnt sure what Hz to port the tune at. I really hope i can get some help before i make an error on what i am buying. Another thing, there is a fiq dual 1ohm and dual2ohm, My amp is 2ohm stable so what would i have to get?? Feedback is appriiciated. THNX

First build a new box for your current subwoofer.

If you care more about SQ, not output then go sealed (Not saying sealed cant be loud). I would got with the 12" Fi Q Dual 1 ohm and wire it in series to 2 ohms.

1_1ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

If ported, I wouldntnt keep the enclosure as it is to big (build a new one between 1.8 - 2.5 ft^3 @ 28-33 Hz).

28-29Hz : Excellent Lows/Good Output

30-33Hz: Excellent Output/Good Lows

It will kinda be hard for me to build a new box since i dont have the knowlage and tools to do it. I have been recommended this fiq sub witch is the reason why i was leaning towards it. I have been looking at youtube vids of fiq subs and it seems to do pretty well compared to my L7 and other L7 vids on youtube. If i was to get a other box made for my L7 what specs should i get it to?? so i can know what i am looking to get myself into. THNX

It will kinda be hard for me to build a new box since i dont have the knowlage and tools to do it. I have been recommended this fiq sub witch is the reason why i was leaning towards it. I have been looking at youtube vids of fiq subs and it seems to do pretty well compared to my L7 and other L7 vids on youtube. If i was to get a other box made for my L7 what specs should i get it to?? so i can know what i am looking to get myself into. THNX

What don't you like about your L7's? Once we know that we can help. ;)

You NEED to share what you don't like otherwise you will end up just wasting money. Buying a new sub may not be the solution.

A dog farting into a megaphone sounds better than an L7 in a ported box. That is an absolutely awful awful awful enclosure choice for that woofer. Seal it or don't bother, and make it a big sealed box. Try this to test SQ. Cover up the port. I bet it sounds 100x better.

A dog farting into a megaphone sounds better than an L7 in a ported box. That is an absolutely awful awful awful enclosure choice for that woofer. Seal it or don't bother, and make it a big sealed box. Try this to test SQ. Cover up the port. I bet it sounds 100x better.

I disagree completely. I have heard ported L7's that sound just fine, but it is obviously very box & goal dependent.

The base the L7 hits is pretty strong... When i play some songs like bia bia by lil john it doesnt pick up that bass note I just wish my L7 could pick up more notes. I was thinking of dropping the port down to 30-32hz but been told it is not going to make much of a difference...I was also told to throw a towel inside the port to get clean air bass but i was never told how to do it "walked through it". I have a smaller enclosure that is 14.50W, 14.50D, 16H. The port size is 12" length, 1.50W and 10" dept I was thinking about trying this enclosure but i have to make time to make this happen

That doesn't have anything to do with SQ and is 100% box dependent. The L7 can EASILY play whatever notes you are referring to. A better description of which ones it doesn't play would help a ton. You should really download some test tones and tell us where the roll off occurs.

Totally agree with ///M5. Also, what are your amp settings? Oh wait, kicker's have that pre-set subsonic filter, don't they... :Doh:

So yeah, test tones; use 'em and report back soldier.

That doesn't have anything to do with SQ and is 100% box dependent. The L7 can EASILY play whatever notes you are referring to. A better description of which ones it doesn't play would help a ton. You should really download some test tones and tell us where the roll off occurs.

What type of test tones should i download?? Kinda new to this stuff dont know what to downloa. Links would be great, or if you cannot provide link, info of what i should download would be great :)

Sine tones. 35Hz - 55Hz should cover what you need as you shouldn't really play lower and higher isn't really in the sub range. If you have yours set to play higher then by all means play some.

sounds like you want your l7 to play the lows better.

IMO the fi q is a lot better then the l7 but thats just me.

you could get a different box and tune it lower to see if you like it. if you dont go with the q.

sounds like you want your l7 to play the lows better.

IMO the fi q is a lot better then the l7 but thats just me.

you could get a different box and tune it lower to see if you like it. if you dont go with the q.

"plays the lows better" is rather relative. The L7 will be louder.

I suggest trying the L7 in a large sealed box first. Then if you don't like the performance, consider trying the Fi Q. Or you could build the new box for the L7, buy the Q and build a box for the Q, test each one and keep the one you like the best. :fing34:

I suggest trying the L7 in a large sealed box first. Then if you don't like the performance, consider trying the Fi Q. Or you could build the new box for the L7, buy the Q and build a box for the Q, test each one and keep the one you like the best. :fing34:

Or You Can Just Get An Xcon....Right? :peepwall:

Or You Can Just Get An Xcon....Right? :peepwall:

Sure, but he did not ask about one. ;)