Sign in to follow this  
black_cirrus

time to rewire

I am going to bi amp my mb quarts and want some recomendations on what wire to use. I was trying to find the best deal on a 4conductor wire 4/16 or 4/14 prefferd. But am open to ideas for a better solution. If it makes a differece the drivers door wire goes right behind the fuse box and computer so shielded or twisted paire would be best?

knukonceptz wiring has always worked for me.

that is where I am going when I have to make my massive RCA overhaul

:rolls eyes:

copper is copper...i get my stuff from Lowes :ugh2:

for 1/0 its like 1.18/foot

i havent looked at 4 conductor wire but i gurontee you thay have multiconductor wire and it is cheaper than "Car Audio" wire, even from KK...

For my RCA's i am going yo use sheilded CAT5 cable...already twisted in pairs and its sheilded...and there is 5 pairs (i think) and i only need 2 so i can drop resistance per foot simply by using 2 pairs per RCA end...

they only list 4/12 awg wire that is approx 9/16 across. I wanted something smaller and cheaper I need 30+ feet. I was at home depot today and all they had was 4/12AWG-4/6AWG the only house use for most 4 wire is 220 lines that I know. So it is very stiff which is bad through a door.

The hard stuff SUCKS.

Good ol weldingsupply has nice flexible 1/0-4/0

if you need 4/0 in car you have one hell of a system...

if you need 4/0 in car you have one hell of a system...

that would be way to big to run under most carpet probably 1+ inches thick. the 5/8ths was hard enough thats why I want something smaller than the knu Koncepts 12 awg. 4 Conductor. My subs only have 12 awg. I could use a 16/4 preffer a 14/4 wire

i just bought 10ft 1/0 and 15 4ga from Home depot, 0.92 a foot and its pretty flexible, but 10ft of 1/0 weighs a good 7-8lbs. they had 3/0 for like 1.20 a foot but i was like serious overkill. it was like 2 times the diameter of 1/0. 10ft would have been like 15 lbs.

now i need the end lugs, i though i could save some money by getting them from lowes, 4.10 for soild copper ends for 4-3/0ga at lowes and 4.50 for 2 at home depot...for now on, in my book, homedepot >lowes.

im gonna have to cut this 1/0 with bar cutters or bolt cutters... :P

i always hear wire is wire...so would that hold true to even the wire at home depot?

pretty much

sheet metal sheers work well for cutting 1/0

you cant change the electronic configuration of copper. well you can but lets not make theis an ion chemistry discussion.

Copper is Copper and all the copper used in all wire has very similar physical properties. there is "oxgen free" wire which is tinted with lead/tin (solder) befoer the caseing is placed on it. but this just prevents oxidation which, once the 1st layre is formed on the ouside it forms a protective coating so the inner copper doesnt oxydise (unlike iron and thealloy steel) so that doesnt do much since most wire will out last the vehicle.

Look at these pictures and tell me if this wire is any different then the wire you see on the internet for 4.15/ft...

Picture395.jpg

Picture396.jpg

Look at these pictures and tell me if this wire is any different then the wire you see on the internet for 4.15/ft...

you have fewer strands :)

but it is still quite flexible (to be so large) andmost dont use 1/0 for amps but as long as you didnt have to bent it around a corner wil a radius less than 1" it would just take a little more work and you would save 75% :)

with just a few feet that is more than an hour getting paid minimum wadge.

I agree on power wire and copper is copper. I used standard Batt. cable from Car Quest and soldered copper lugs from ACE on my 2/0 battery cable. But for speaker wire to the Front speakers in the door I need something that is very flexible, I wanted to go through the fatory door boot won't fit more than 3/8-1/2 inch wire so that may not happen. I want something that has fine wire strands.

im gonna have to cut this 1/0 with bar cutters or bolt cutters... :P

If it is fine strand wire a sharp utility knife. larger strand wire a very fine hacksaw. Or the right way large cable cutters :Doh: . Which I don't own so it is nice to have friends :P .

By the way my 2nd topic already hit 2 pages, IS ME :postwhore: ????

oh and BTW...

ever need a few more feet of speaker wire for componets?

got and old lam you dont want?

using 16 or 14ga?

....flexibility isnt a problem untill you get below around 4ga, even the "crappy" home depot 4ga is quite flexible so unless you are planning on routing it around 180 degree bends with a 1/2" radius.

speaker wire, even 10ga or 8ga, is usually quite flexible, and for 14ga or 16ga lamp wire works just fine.

and BTW if you want high stranded "car audio" speaker wire walmart wire conducts just as well as MTX or Roxford Fosgate wire...

oh and BTW...

ever need a few more feet of speaker wire for componets?

got and old lam you dont want?

using 16 or 14ga?

....flexibility isnt a problem untill you get below around 4ga, even the "crappy" home depot 4ga is quite flexible so unless you are planning on routing it around 180 degree bends with a 1/2" radius.

speaker wire, even 10ga or 8ga, is usually quite flexible, and for 14ga or 16ga lamp wire works just fine.

and BTW if you want high stranded "car audio" speaker wire walmart wire conducts just as well as MTX or Roxford Fosgate wire...

huh ?

lamp wire ?

*cough* ghetto * gough*

you can use lamp wire for a speaker

i used speaker wire for a lamp

It runs through the door so 90+ degree bends daily. I took a look at the wire selection at home depot today while there looking for something for work. they have a 14 awg 4 conductor wire for $.94 a foot. I may try the 300v they have 600v but the insulation is twice as thick 5/8" over all approx. And lamp cord is ghetto I keep a roll of 16 awg speaker wire around the house the whole role was pretty cheap. The local wal-mart has scosche wire thats what I used for one of my first amp installs but no 4 condutor wire. Wire I can get in small chunks from my friend at the stereo shop I got 2-3 2-3 foot chunks of 12awg twisted pair one of which is stinger he gave me out of the scrape box for something I still havent done. Also at anothor store I looked at 0/1 welding wire 2.99 a foot but is really flexible fine wire. also electicity is lazy it flows more on the surface than outside but I never noticed a difference.

Lamp wire carries a 60Hz signal (or right about there) at 120v all day long...