I am thinking about beefing up the charging system in my ride. I have a 03' 1.7L Civic, and my amp is capable of 2500Wrms. Big three is done in 0AWG.

Eventually, I would like to have a HO Alternator and multiple battery setup. What should my first step be? I feel like I should save up and get the HO Alternator first, as additional batteries, or a deep cycle battery is only a temporary solution.

I have been considering purchasing a Yellowtop to put in the trunk for now, and moving it up front later after getting the HO alternator and a dedicated deep cycle for the trunk.

I don't really use my system too often, but when I do I like to play it full tilt. Would my whimpy stock alternator be able to charge two batteries (the stock battery and Optima in the trunk) in between playing times (ie. several hours)?

Or should I forget about multiple battery setups until I have a HO alternator and just replace the stock battery with an Optima or other Group 51 deep cycle battery? Any insight is appreciated!

i would say get the battery bank going first and wire in a volt-meter and keep an eye on those batteries voltages and go from there! for the longest time i have been running 2-batcap 2000's with no h/o supporting a saz2000 and 1-15inch NS v1 with minium issues, till my alt and starter both had a heart attach!! lol then i just replaced my alt with a h/o and called it go!

so for my 2krms setup in a daily driver (allowing the stock alt to charge them over the time when i am not playing full tilt) a h/o was nessicary but it helps

I would get a high output alt of at least 200 amps and a larger battery in back. A group 27 (Kinetik HC2000, Odyssey pc1750)or a group 31 (Odyssey pc2150, Kinetik HC2400, Optima D31).

Your first step would be a h/o alt. You can add batteries after when needed. Contact these guys for an estimate.

http://www.dcpowerinc.com/

http://www.mechman.com/

http://www.ohiogen.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

It was suggested to me on another site that I would require the increased capacitance from a deep cycle battery even after getting a HO alternator, as a battery will provide current to the amp faster than the alternator.

Would my stock alternator be able to charge another trunk mounted battery (A Kinetik HC2000 or similar) between playing times (several hours)?

Thanks for the help, I have requested quotes from most of the aforementioned vendors already, I just don't have the apx. $400 to get the HO alternator right now. That is why I am wondering if I would benefit from a cheaper solution like a deep cycle in the trunk.

Edited by StickyFingaz

Yes, you don't have to get a high output alternator yet. I was fine with daily listening with as much power as you. Get a better battery than that yellowtop. XS power d3100 or Deka 9a31 in the trunk and your good. If you aren't blasting it all the time then you should be fine.

Yes, you don't have to get a high output alternator yet. I was fine with daily listening with as much power as you. Get a better battery than that yellowtop. XS power d3100 or Deka 9a31 in the trunk and your good. If you aren't blasting it all the time then you should be fine.

Thanks for the info! I haven't looked into Deka yet, I will definitely check that out. Unfortunately, it can be difficult finding these specialty batteries in Canada, many places won't ship north of the border.

Check out canadian car audio forums. I bet you can find them used pretty cheap.

Check out canadian car audio forums. I bet you can find them used pretty cheap.

I am a member of CCA aswell, however looking into Deka there is an East Penn dealer withing driving distance, and $180 for 100ah is a crazy good deal especially if there is no shipping costs. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, now to find someone who will buy it for me for Christmas.....

One last thing: Will I need to isolate the deep cycle from the starter battery? If I run them in parallel will it cause damage or drain over time?

One last thing: Will I need to isolate the deep cycle from the starter battery? If I run them in parallel will it cause damage or drain over time?

Only add an isolator between batteries if your going to be playing your system alot with the car off or you want to be on the extra safe side if your using two different brand batteries (but it isnt neccessary).