Sign in to follow this  
Typicaljawaiian

Mechanical Failure, what is it? Please explain

I need to know exactly what mechanical failure is to a sub woofer. I know this is a rookie question, but I need some technica answers as I think it's the reason for my sub's death. Or can a sub even break due to this. I am 110% sure it wasn't because of thermal failure. The voice coils look brand new when I took it apart. Yes I took it apart and ordered a recone before asking. I know part of it was due to playing freq. lower than box tuning and using bass boost. What part of the sub breaks or what does the coil look like when it dies mechanicaly + 1,000,000 other questions I have but i'll start w/these. Thank's.

Mechanical failure is when something physically breaks on the woofer. Like the spiders rip, tinsels break, seals rip, coil former bottoms out and becomes deformed. ect...... im sure someone else will jump in and explain more, beyond my knowledge of the subject

That's pretty much it. One of the soft parts or something on the former breaks.

Mechanical failure is when something physically breaks because either 1) there is either a malfunction in the driver due to manufacturing error (poor glue joint, etc) or 2) you exceed the physical limitations of the driver (i.e. overexcursion). If it moves, it can break.