Sign in to follow this  
k_schutte

Hows this box sound?

picked up a pair of 12" iCons and this is the box I plan to build. I was wondering what you guys think. This is the first time I have run anything other than a single 15" or a single 18" so I want ot get opinions before I build it.

4.8ft^3 net air space (5.12ft^3 gross .16ft^3 displacement per sub)

tuning 32hz-33hz

72.5in^2 port area

1263323727076968600.jpg

Edited by k_schutte

Did you remember to subtract port displacement from the net volume as well? Or are you using external ports?

Did you remember to subtract port displacement from the net volume as well? Or are you using external ports?

The picture I posted shows how I did it. the port area was subtracted, total gross for teh box was like 7.7ft^3 before port, wood and subwoofer displacement...

I'd be wary of that design it doesn't quite add up right. Just at a quick glance the port width is 5" but at the back wall it is only 4.5".

The picture I posted shows how I did it. the port area was subtracted, total gross for teh box was like 7.7ft^3 before port, wood and subwoofer displacement...

Ah, I couldn't see that there were pictures because I was at work the first time I viewed the thread and the network there usually blocks pics.

I'd be wary of that design it doesn't quite add up right. Just at a quick glance the port width is 5" but at the back wall it is only 4.5".

Its 4.5" LENGTH after the corner of the port. Not width. It's stilll 5" wide. :santa:

Nice design!

Its 4.5" LENGTH after the corner of the port. Not width. It's stilll 5" wide. :santa:

Nice design!

:orly3:

Not talking about the length that is given.

15.25" port wall + .75" for the second wall = 16"

20.5" of internal depth - 16" = 4.5" away from the rear wall.

Not to mention if it was 5" from the back it would be tuned to 34hz

Nice design!

:orly3:

Not talking about the length that is given.

15.25" port wall + .75" for the second wall = 16"

20.5" of internal depth - 16" = 4.5" away from the rear wall.

Not to mention if it was 5" from the back it would be tuned to 34hz

I follow you, you're right.

Aren't straight ports better than the L shaped one's?

Straight ports become L-shaped ones when they don't fit in the box depth-wise.