vial

Subs where warm hint of smell.

well i was bumping a bassmekanic CD with lots of fast beats and high pitch bumps. I bumped it for a good 45 min. I thought i smelled something But it wasnt like a strong smell of something Burning just smelled like a light hint of something I felt my subs and they where Warm But not Blazing Hot. Is it Normal for subs to gain some heat ?

Was i abusing my subs ? I mean i did turn it down after I was just upset and started bumping my shit on my ride home.

oh boy, i know the smell. probably your voicecoil(s) starting to burn. (although i could be wrong)

but yes ofcourse, subs get warm, but when they start to smell, that's when things are going wrong. you probably just simply overdid it. 45 minutes is a long time to be going full blast with those bass songs.

how long have you had your setup? and have you made any changes recently? (on amp or deck)

Edited by mbarber25

how is your gain set? and are you using the bass boost?

No bassboost. Gain is a little less then 3/4 of the way. Hz are set to 60-70. ZX1500.1 on two CVX's 12" wired to 2ohms in a sealed box.

It wasnt a strong smell just a hint of something So i turned it down They still sound fine just wondering if i did damage them Or if i should change something.

You reached the point that you dont want to exceed. Extended periods like that without time to cool off WILL cook those drivers. Its good that you noticed. Just make sure you back off at that point all the time. Just dont do it all the time too.wink.gif

You reached the point that you dont want to exceed. Extended periods like that without time to cool off WILL cook those drivers. Its good that you noticed. Just make sure you back off at that point all the time. Just dont do it all the time too.wink.gif

cool thnx broski they still sound solid. Just Bassmekanic makes some ruff tracks.

but it is normal for them to warm up right ?

You have power going through thin copper wire, there is resistance and that means they are not 100% efficient, that lost power is given off as heat.

Be careful, you were reaching their thermal limits. in a sealed enclosure there is no air transfer so your coils burned more than you think. Don't play at that volume for such a long time or the next topic you make will say "My subs caught fire today :("

yeah just watch out that happend to my cvx but i found that out when using my bass knob(turned all the way up on my zx1000.1 and vol on the deck at over 75% turned up) i have the bass boost at zero on the amp and the gain set at 1/3 of the way up, but i my cvx smelt like burning rubber smell That happend over 2 years ago when i first noticed that and on and off since then if i get crazy with the bass knob on a heavy bass song(Bass Patrol), but my cvx is still bumping today like new.

You have power going through thin copper wire, there is resistance and that means they are not 100% efficient, that lost power is given off as heat.

Be careful, you were reaching their thermal limits. in a sealed enclosure there is no air transfer so your coils burned more than you think. Don't play at that volume for such a long time or the next topic you make will say "My subs caught fire today :("

how do i make them 100% effcient ? Also should i unscrew the subs to the box and check for burn marks ?

or am i just asking for to much from two 12"s in a small sealed box.

yeah just watch out that happend to my cvx but i found that out when using my bass knob(turned all the way up on my zx1000.1 and vol on the deck at over 75% turned up) i have the bass boost at zero on the amp and the gain set at 1/3 of the way up, but i my cvx smelt like burning rubber smell That happend over 2 years ago when i first noticed that and on and off since then if i get crazy with the bass knob on a heavy bass song(Bass Patrol), but my cvx is still bumping today like new.

yes mine bumps fine as is I just went to lunch and went to work today and they where fine. Im pushing two 12"s CVX's with a zx1500.1 I dont use the bass knob at all. Also is my gain set to high ? I currently keep my hz 60-70 on the amp Bassboost to 0 Gain 3/4 DB on head unit from 5-11 out of 15. Also the HZ for the Sub on the internal Xover on the head unit is set to 60 hz

yes mine bumps fine as is I just went to lunch and went to work today and they where fine. Im pushing two 12"s CVX's with a zx1500.1 I dont use the bass knob at all. Also is my gain set to high ? I currently keep my hz 60-70 on the amp Bassboost to 0 Gain 3/4 DB on head unit from 5-11 out of 15. Also the HZ for the Sub on the internal Xover on the head unit is set to 60 hz

what hu is it. i have the Pioneer D3 i have my sub low pass setting at 80hz, no extra bass for the subwoofer, bass at zero on the eq, but i do have my loud setting turned to high and the lpf on the amp about 80hz(just below the 3rd notch on our kicker amp). it could be possible that its set high i know with sealed box they dont get as loud as i ported box im using a ported box i set my gain with a DMM using a test tone i believe 60hz something like that which has it set to the 3rd notch just above where it says gain on our kicker amp even i believe thats to high so i use my bass knob but only turn that to the 2nd notch for daily listening.

Edited by PT3005

how do i make them 100% effcient ? Also should i unscrew the subs to the box and check for burn marks ?

or am i just asking for to much from two 12"s in a small sealed box.

You cannon make them 100% efficient. If you want them more efficient port them, you will gain quite a bit of volume and it seems like that's what your after.

Also, set your gains correctly, use this: How To: Set your Amplifier Gain - SSA Car Audio Forum

what hu is it. i have the Pioneer D3 i have my sub low pass setting at 80hz, no extra bass for the subwoofer, bass at zero on the eq, but i do have my loud setting turned to high and the lpf on the amp about 80hz(just below the 3rd notch on our kicker amp). it could be possible that its set high i know with sealed box they dont get as loud as i ported box im using a ported box i set my gain with a DMM using a test tone i believe 60hz something like that which has it set to the 3rd notch just above where it says gain on our kicker amp even i believe thats to high so i use my bass knob but only turn that to the 2nd notch for daily listening.

i have the Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X693

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX693/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X693.html?tp=5684

Ya i dont have a DMM i wana go to a car audio show so i can findsomeone to give me a hand with tuneing my stuff properly. I mean my system sounds good. But sometimes i play a track and it dosent sound right. But 90% of what i play sounds really good.

Duran It's not really possable for my to port my box Becuse of it's size and the subs require more room for a Vented box. my box is 4foot long split in the center for two champers with a 6 inch depth on top by a 12" depth on the bottem and its 24 inches in length. by 12inches tall.. Just gives me enough room for the subs.

Is it possible to get another enclosure?

Is it possible to get another enclosure?

not really :-/ as you will see here their is a kinda lump that makes me stick at 12"s tall

youll see the limp to the left of the Far right 6x9 and just right of the amp.

also YES i moved my amp and Cap. :) The amp is now under the passanger seat and the cap is aswell. that was just a temp setup to get some sounds going. I also removed the Bassknob

This pic was taken when i was removing the old zx750.1 to put in the 1500.1

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/uploads/1259383953/gallery_10091_349_1598596.jpg