Sign in to follow this  
black_cirrus

better methods

well my budget is almost together to rebuild my system I have a alpine 7998 deck. I don't listen to my music very loud usally but I still want good clean sound. I need new amps (and subs but they can wait). Should I go with a higher power amp 100-150+ watt per channel and use the passive crossovers or sould I get a 40-60+ 4 channel and bi amp them with the deck 3way Xover. I have MB Quart 6.5 comp. rated @50-120. If there is a better option I am open to suggestions. I have 50 watts going to the passives and it is close to loud enough but I want more bass and more head room for when I get new subs.

Dont mix amped power with H/U power

thats easy the deck is a pre out only model there is no deck power all those numbers are the rms rating of the amps :D

I want it to sound clean at lower volumes and lots of head room

Whoops, i read it wrong

*deleted*

Going active= more and better control. With passives, you are always limited to their potential. Some are very good, I would always recommend that if you have the resources, go active. You'll enjoy the greater control and benefit from the fine tuning and less signal degredation.

Going active= more and better control.  With passives, you are always limited to their potential.  Some are very good, I would always recommend that if you have the resources, go active.  You'll enjoy the greater control and benefit from the fine tuning and less signal degredation.

By active you mean the bi-amping option. what would be the best way SQ wise to lower the tweets I don't like them to bright or is it more mid bass I crave???. Should I lower the amp gain or the deck output level. I have done a lot of installs but being self taught I still have a lot I want to learn on my way to better SQ. If I do the active off the deck how do I hook up some rear fill if I wanted to.

Going active= more and better control.  With passives, you are always limited to their potential.  Some are very good, I would always recommend that if you have the resources, go active.  You'll enjoy the greater control and benefit from the fine tuning and less signal degredation.

By active you mean the bi-amping option. what would be the best way SQ wise to lower the tweets I don't like them to bright or is it more mid bass I crave???. Should I lower the amp gain or the deck output level. I have done a lot of installs but being self taught I still have a lot I want to learn on my way to better SQ. If I do the active off the deck how do I hook up some rear fill if I wanted to.

By going active he means ditching the passive xovers that came with the components...and using the Alpine 7998's internal 3-way xover. There is a switch on the bottom of the unit to switch it to 3way mode. You need a 4channel amp... You can highpass the Tweets (Use front pre-out to amp...2 channels), Bandpass the Mids ( Use rear pre-out to amp...2 channels), and then use the Subwoofer pre-out for the sub obviously (and you can set the Lowpass for the subwoofer...and run the amp "full-range" b/c the HU will take over the Lowpass duties ;) ). All of these xover points are adjustable as well 6dB/oct to 24dB/oct :) YAY!!!

NG

Thank you for making it totaly clear.Thats what I thought but have never seen it laid out. FYI the 3way switch is a internal menu func. on my deck. now to find some good 4 cond. speaker wire and get it run. I already use the int. crossover but left the sub low pass on because I have it xovered lower from the deck doesn't sound any diff.