Sign in to follow this  
cheese20323

Recones??????

Okay so i have a powerbass pb-b125dv2 and it is popped and i want an fi recone. I was going to get the re se recone from them. I was going to change the gasket to 12 spoke and buy the recone and drop it in. Will this work. And it is a DVC sub. Is this possible. The sub is pratically new.

Whether or not a prebuilt recone will "work" is going to depend upon the dimensions and design of the motor and the dimension and design of the recone. Just because you are getting a recone from a good brand, doesn't mean the end result will be worth a shit. This recone "custom sub" boner going around right now has left the n00bs with the idea that you can just randomly mix-n-match parts with great results and without an understanding of what it takes to properly design a driver. Just buying a prebuilt recone and dropping it into a different motor isn't a good way to go about doing things.

Also, you will need a way to measure the T/S parameters of the subwoofer after it's built otherwise you will never be able to design a proper enclosure for it.

Whether or not a prebuilt recone will "work" is going to depend upon the dimensions and design of the motor and the dimension and design of the recone. Just because you are getting a recone from a good brand, doesn't mean the end result will be worth a shit. This recone "custom sub" boner going around right now has left the n00bs with the idea that you can just randomly mix-n-match parts with great results and without an understanding of what it takes to properly design a driver. Just buying a prebuilt recone and dropping it into a different motor isn't a good way to go about doing things.

Also, you will need a way to measure the T/S parameters of the subwoofer after it's built otherwise you will never be able to design a proper enclosure for it.

Well i just thought it would work because if i change gasket to 12 spoke it will fit it i am pratically taking the sub apart and just leaving the motor. So well the result be a beter sub? And what exactly are t/s parameters

Edited by cheese20323

Well i just thought it would work because if i change gasket to 12 spoke it will fit it i am pratically taking the sub apart and just leaving the motor.

Exactly. Without details of the motor, it's impossible to know how well the recone will work.

And it's basket, not gasket. I thought it was a typo but you've used it in both posts now.

So well the result be a beter sub?

No idea, we have no details of the motor. I would guess you probably don't even know the diameter of the coil. But beyond that, you don't have enough information about the motor to even begin to determine if the resulting subwoofer will be decent or crap.

And what exactly are t/s parameters

Nevermind my above posts, this statement settles it.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS TRYING TO CUSTOM BUILD A SUBWOOFER.

That simple. Don't do it. You don't know enough yet. It's not your fault, and I'm not calling you stupid or dumb as a person. But it would be a horribly stupid and dumb idea for you to build a custom subwoofer with the complete lack of knowledge you currently possess.

Thiele Small Parameters

Well i just thought it would work because if i change gasket to 12 spoke it will fit it i am pratically taking the sub apart and just leaving the motor.

Exactly. Without details of the motor, it's impossible to know how well the recone will work.

And it's basket, not gasket. I thought it was a typo but you've used it in both posts now.

So well the result be a beter sub?

No idea, we have no details of the motor. I would guess you probably don't even know the diameter of the coil. But beyond that, you don't have enough information about the motor to even begin to determine if the resulting subwoofer will be decent or crap.

And what exactly are t/s parameters

Nevermind my above posts, this statement settles it.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS TRYING TO CUSTOM BUILD A SUBWOOFER.

That simple. Don't do it. You don't know enough yet. It's not your fault, and I'm not calling you stupid or dumb as a person. But it would be a horribly stupid and dumb idea for you to build a custom subwoofer with the complete lack of knowledge you currently possess.

Thiele Small Parameters

OK thanks for opening up my mind i thought i would be like a take apart and drop in. but it isnt and i might know all of this info in the future i will do several research and comeback with more knowledge. I just wanted to know if it would work like how i stated but its going to take way more thanks.

Thank you, it annoys the crap out of me. Sad thing is that there are a few brands essentially doing the same thing, just slapping parts together that fit and claiming years of development went into the driver. Not to mention the far east build houses copying the designs and selling cheaper part versions to any goober for a few bucks to order a driver line.

In addition, I am getting really tired of people thinking about recones even before they have bought the driver, for daily installs. In a quality install that the driver is matched up well with, and the gain set properly, a recone is something that should not be an issue for a very long time, especially with the improving suspensions of modern drivers compared to some of the older single spider drivers who's spiders will fatigue faster.

Sir Nick Morgan said it best a while ago, that recones were never an issue or something people outside the competition arena cared about, until these cheap big power amplifiers became common place. Meaning way too many people are buying amplifiers too big for their own good and cooking their sub woofers because they thought they were hot stuff because they could brag to their friends that their amp had 30gazillion watts.

/rant.