aboveak

Upgraded exhaust with system?

Modern computer controlled cars DO need back pressure. This is mainly for the pollutions controls.

X-pipes are NOT to create backpressure; any type of midpipe is there to help equalize exhaust gases.

There are far too many variables to say one is best or worst for all, but most modern exhaust systems are designed quite efficiently for their intended purpose. The efficiency problems usually lie within the engine design itself. Manufacturers have to compromise somewhere. You know damn well, if they wanted to make 50mpg engines, they could. How cheaply they could be made is the issue, along with all political BS.

My car is pretty loud, and personally, due to it's nature, I wouldn't bother putting much of a system in it. I may throw a small sub in there just for the hell of it, but I'm definitely not going to add any extra weight to it with deadening, nor am I going to change the exhaust. Again, it's a compromise. Hell even if my exhaust wasn't loud, the supercharger whine is more than enough to make a "system" a moot point.

An engine will run fine with no back pressure, not saying it's optimal, but they don't NEED it. If your state has emissions testing you'll never pass though. I'm not condoning straight pipes or anything but if you cut your exhaust off it will still run. The computer can compensate for changes.

H pipes and X pipes really won't do much except for change the tone and an argument can be made they help with exhaust flow on lower horsepower engines. The difference on the average car would likely be under 10rwhp/tq in most any case, then again there's a lot of variables.

If US Cafe standards weren't so strict we'd have 50+mpg diesels all over like Europe. The internal combustion engine has come a long way, but can still be improved upon. I personally think the government should get out of the business of telling companies what and what not to do and requiring average fuel economies and let the market dictate what's produced, but that's a different discussion.

What kind of car do you have and what type of racing do you do?

Modern computer controlled cars DO need back pressure. This is mainly for the pollutions controls.

X-pipes are NOT to create backpressure; any type of midpipe is there to help equalize exhaust gases.

There are far too many variables to say one is best or worst for all, but most modern exhaust systems are designed quite efficiently for their intended purpose. The efficiency problems usually lie within the engine design itself. Manufacturers have to compromise somewhere. You know damn well, if they wanted to make 50mpg engines, they could. How cheaply they could be made is the issue, along with all political BS.

My car is pretty loud, and personally, due to it's nature, I wouldn't bother putting much of a system in it. I may throw a small sub in there just for the hell of it, but I'm definitely not going to add any extra weight to it with deadening, nor am I going to change the exhaust. Again, it's a compromise. Hell even if my exhaust wasn't loud, the supercharger whine is more than enough to make a "system" a moot point.

An engine will run fine with no back pressure, not saying it's optimal, but they don't NEED it. If your state has emissions testing you'll never pass though. I'm not condoning straight pipes or anything but if you cut your exhaust off it will still run. The computer can compensate for changes.

H pipes and X pipes really won't do much except for change the tone and an argument can be made they help with exhaust flow on lower horsepower engines. The difference on the average car would likely be under 10rwhp/tq in most any case, then again there's a lot of variables.

If US Cafe standards weren't so strict we'd have 50+mpg diesels all over like Europe. The internal combustion engine has come a long way, but can still be improved upon. I personally think the government should get out of the business of telling companies what and what not to do and requiring average fuel economies and let the market dictate what's produced, but that's a different discussion.

Sorry, when I speak, I am always talking about the optimum unless specified.

My current car is a 2000 Mustang, but it has yet to be raced, by me at least. I have both drag and road racing experience in the past. Of course, having a child, play time goes by the wayside now.

The car will go down the strip this year though, and hopefully I can get on track at IRP and the Tire Rack this year.

Sorry, when I speak, I am always talking about the optimum unless specified.

My current car is a 2000 Mustang, but it has yet to be raced, by me at least. I have both drag and road racing experience in the past. Of course, having a child, play time goes by the wayside now.

The car will go down the strip this year though, and hopefully I can get on track at IRP and the Tire Rack this year.

Cool, I've owned a few Mustangs, not particularly a fan of the 2v 4.6 though, performance wise at least.

Cool, I've owned a few Mustangs, not particularly a fan of the 2v 4.6 though, performance wise at least.

The PI cars (99-04) weren't too shabby, but Ford always seems to underpower everything in comparison to the competition. With a little bit of work and some boost, they can make gobs of power. there are many Lightnings making over 900+ with the stock heads (ported of course), and now the new Trick Flow heads are out, so I'm sure we're going to see some crazy numbers soon.

I'm hoping to be above 600RW next summer. I'm going to up the boost and throw some cams in it this year, so I should be above 450.

The PI cars (99-04) weren't too shabby, but Ford always seems to underpower everything in comparison to the competition. With a little bit of work and some boost, they can make gobs of power. there are many Lightnings making over 900+ with the stock heads (ported of course), and now the new Trick Flow heads are out, so I'm sure we're going to see some crazy numbers soon.

I'm hoping to be above 600RW next summer. I'm going to up the boost and throw some cams in it this year, so I should be above 450.

If I was going to sink money into a new edge I'd swap a Cobra motor in and work with that. Personal opinion. I have a buddy with a 99 vert and he makes just over 400rwhp, but he for whatever reason thought it would be fun to put an IRS in it when he only drag races so he never ran faster than 12 teens.

I prefer fox bodies personally, mainly because of price and carbs are easier to work with.