Sign in to follow this  
anonymous48420

box for a 21" death penalty

ok so basically my 15" death penalty doesnt work anymore i think the coil unwound or something. so im going to send it in to get reconed when i get my taxes. im thinking about getting it reconed as the 21" version. im planning on building a new box for it and i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. the box i am looking at building as of right now is 40Wx33Dx16H it will have the vent and sub firing up and have a total volume of 9 cubes 8.6-8.75 after displacement. it will have a 3" wide vent that will be 38.5" long which will give me about 115 in^2 of port area and be tuned for 36.2 hz. ps it will be in a trunk. im am not sure if i should tune it lower or if 36 hz should be good. any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

In most trunks, stuffing a 9 cube enclosure in there won't do a thing. No matter what size woofer it is. Even then, if you didn;t have a trunk and were limited to 9 cubes I'd use an 18" instead, it would probably perform better because 9 cubes is optimal for most 18's.

Will the enclosure seal off the trunk form the cabin?

I just tried this same build and it failed sounded great but only hit a 140. That was sub up ports forward.

I just tried this same build and it failed sounded great but only hit a 140. That was sub up ports forward.

You should have thought about it more.

the enclosure will not seal off the cabin from the trunk plus the rear speaker deck will be removed to allow the port to flow freely into the cabin to get rid of port noise and also increase the flow between the trunk and cabin in general. im basically gonna do everything i can to make the trunk and cabin flow more easily. ive slowly been doin it over the last 2 years.

The port will have airspace to excite, but the sub will still be choked. It's stupid to stuff the largest size driver you can in a small area,simply put it doesn't work as you want it too.

actually the driver wont be choked too bad. thats why the box is going to be short. that way it will have area over the box and on the sides for the air and sound waves to get into the cabin. plus there is vents built into the trunk to get air in the trunk into the cabin.