Sign in to follow this  
audioman21

Trunk setup

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go with for a trunk car?

• Three 10's port/sub back
    • Four 10's subs up port back

i thought i was done deciding on my new setup but something else crossed my mind, and now I need a little help choosing. I'm gonna be running the SSA Dcons which are 300 rms a piece. My amp is the Elemental Designs Nine.1(1200 rms). Instead of building the system around the car I've decided to get a car around my system, though the car will probably be around a 95-97 Cutlass Supreme or Monte Carlo.

The new dilemma I have is I want something different than the usual, which will be 10's I just can't decide on 3 or 4. I know that in a trunk car subs back port back is louder to the ear (the three tens) but if I did four 10's sub up port back would that be louder since there will be more cone area? I heard four 10's in a suv with a sealed box before that was insane I just don't know if I'd get the same results out of a trunk with it ported. I'm not worried about metering well though it would be nice to pull a good number if need be. I'm more into the bass that tickles your nose hairs and you can feel when you breathe and sounds solid.

So with all that info if you guys could let me know what would be the better advantage for me or what you would do. I tried to give as much info as needed but if i left out something let me know.

do the 3 10"s with subs and port forward. give then each there own chamber and port. I would use aero ports for the simplicity of them, 1 4" or 3" aero port per sub should do.

just my .02$

Wanna seal the trunk off or not?

Subs up ports forward can yield good results as well.

Any other opinions?

Back in the day when I knew very little about car audio I had a Powerbass 15" in a sealed enclosure ran off a Rockford 850.4. That was in an Olds Acheiva facing up. I was clipping the hell out of it(newbness) and smoked it, but for the few days that it was working it pounded like no other for what is was. Earlier in the post i talked about hearing four 10" Rockford P1's sealed in an suv that was ran off of a Rockford T3002 that actually was the loudest I've ever heard. What I'm getting at is if running the four would be worth it. i'm not worried about numbers i just want that clean bass that makes it a little hard to breath. We all know that three rear firing is more practical and will net great results. I just don't know if with that 15" in the Achieva, I may have got lucky and that worked for that kind of car. I've looked on youtube and read post after post about the kind of setups i'm talking about but nothing useful has turned up yet.

Sorry to ramble on and on guys I'm just lost. I have money for subs and its buring a hole in my pocket to order something(everybody knows exactly what how I feel). I have the sub choice just don't know the quantity.

Any other opinions?

Back in the day when I knew very little about car audio I had a Powerbass 15" in a sealed enclosure ran off a Rockford 850.4. That was in an Olds Acheiva facing up. I was clipping the hell out of it(newbness) and smoked it, but for the few days that it was working it pounded like no other for what is was. Earlier in the post i talked about hearing four 10" Rockford P1's sealed in an suv that was ran off of a Rockford T3002 that actually was the loudest I've ever heard. What I'm getting at is if running the four would be worth it. i'm not worried about numbers i just want that clean bass that makes it a little hard to breath. We all know that three rear firing is more practical and will net great results. I just don't know if with that 15" in the Achieva, I may have got lucky and that worked for that kind of car. I've looked on youtube and read post after post about the kind of setups i'm talking about but nothing useful has turned up yet.

Sorry to ramble on and on guys I'm just lost. I have money for subs and its buring a hole in my pocket to order something(everybody knows exactly what how I feel). I have the sub choice just don't know the quantity.

are you just dead set on 3 or more 10"s?

just one 12" sub could get you exactly where you want to be. i have friends that say exactly what your saying, but then when they hear my single 12 they say its too loud for what they want. so dont just think you need alot to achieve what your doing. so i dont think you need 3 10"s to get what you want. and i think it may be fairly dificult to have 3 10"s firing back and have room for a port on that same face, but idk the size of your trunk.

My vote is 1 12" Icon or Fi Audio Q or BL.

Any other opinions?

are you just dead set on 3 or more 10"s?

just one 12" sub could get you exactly where you want to be. i have friends that say exactly what your saying, but then when they hear my single 12 they say its too loud for what they want. so dont just think you need alot to achieve what your doing. so i dont think you need 3 10"s to get what you want. and i think it may be fairly dificult to have 3 10"s firing back and have room for a port on that same face, but idk the size of your trunk.

My vote is 1 12" Icon or Fi Audio Q or BL.

do the 3 10"s with subs and port forward. give then each there own chamber and port. I would use aero ports for the simplicity of them, 1 4" or 3" aero port per sub should do.

just my .02$

why separate chambers? just a giant waste of air space.

OP, what are your goals?

I have no idea why but for some reason i'm set on multiple 10's. I guess maybe a little more cone area than two 12's, more motor strength=more heat dissipation. Theres just something about 10's that appeals to me. Also I'd be able to have sufficient airspace without choking them wether I did the three or four. I want to do a traditional setup without firing it foward and sealing it off from the cabin. i'm actually stepping down from two DC level four 12's with level five coils and two Elemental Designs Nine.1's. I guess also, i want to step down power wise with just using one nine.1 but kinda step up in a sense with doing multiple 10's. The DC's were loud but i just wasn't feeling them for some odd reason.

If I did three 10's rear firing I'd do all same chamber with a slot port running the length of the bottom probly around 3.5 -4cf.. if I do four I'd do up firing same chamber with a rear firing port. basiclly trying to see if adding a fourth ten and up firing would be more noticeable than three rear firing.

Edited by audioman21

using multiple small subs it very wasteful imo. for example, 3 10s have about the same surface area as 2 12s and fit in roughly the same air space but the 2 12's will be cheaper. this example only really hold for the same like of subs so if we start comparing, for example, multiple Dcons vs a bl or btl it become more complicated.

I have no idea why but for some reason i'm set on multiple 10's. I guess maybe a little more cone area than two 12's, more motor strength=more heat dissipation. Theres just something about 10's that appeals to me. Also I'd be able to have sufficient airspace without choking them wether I did the three or four. I want to do a traditional setup without firing it foward and sealing it off from the cabin. i'm actually stepping down from two DC level four 12's with level five coils and two Elemental Designs Nine.1's. I guess also, i want to step down power wise with just using one nine.1 but kinda step up in a sense with doing multiple 10's. The DC's were loud but i just wasn't feeling them for some odd reason.

If I did three 10's rear firing I'd do all same chamber with a slot port running the length of the bottom probly around 3.5 -4cf.. if I do four I'd do up firing same chamber with a rear firing port. basiclly trying to see if adding a fourth ten and up firing would be more noticeable than three rear firing.

i guess if your looking to put a shit load of 10s in a car because your hommieeessss think they look really bad ass then by all mean go ahead. if your goin this route then why not really impress ppl and throw some SA-8's in there...

but if u want to use your money in the most efficient way possible look at a different solution

just my .02$

OP, what are your goals?

easier to do separate chambers for getting the box(es) in and out of a trunk, i oculd easily have enough room in my little cavalier trunk for 3 10"s bl's separate chambered and all. but another good thing is bracing and this way everything is equal, none of this one sub is closer to the port opening compared to the other crap. just makes more sense.

also with 3 10"s your going to have a pretty funky ohm load and your not going to get full potential out of the amp. so with 2 12"s at 1 ohm you would be using the most out of the amp. and let me tell you from experience, beating 2 15"s or a single 18 with 1 12" is very satisfying. lol, if you really wanna shock people.

Anton, could i achive your level with two 600 watt 12's? And wiould I achieve same reults with two 12's? I seen your vids your shit slams.

Edited by audioman21

just my .02$

OP, what are your goals?

easier to do separate chambers for getting the box(es) in and out of a trunk, i oculd easily have enough room in my little cavalier trunk for 3 10"s bl's separate chambered and all. but another good thing is bracing and this way everything is equal, none of this one sub is closer to the port opening compared to the other crap. just makes more sense.

also with 3 10"s your going to have a pretty funky ohm load and your not going to get full potential out of the amp. so with 2 12"s at 1 ohm you would be using the most out of the amp. and let me tell you from experience, beating 2 15"s or a single 18 with 1 12" is very satisfying. lol, if you really wanna shock people.

bl's are a hell of alot heavier then Dcon and your not going to notice a difference between separate and common chambers. one sub being closer to the port doesn't matter.

the funky ohm's load doesn't mean shit. he'll have either 2 12's at 1 ohm for example vs 3 tens at 1.333 ohms.. you will not hear a difference between the two given the power loss with such a slightly higher load.

nothing you said makes any sense in the context of the OP's install.

oh and am i reading this right... your running an 18 w/ a 12??? wtf

Anton, could i achive your level with two 600 watt 12's? And wiould I achieve same reults with two 12's? I seen your vids your shit slams.

vid's dont mean shit, dont select a product on this basis.

vid's dont mean shit, dont select a product on this basis.

this is true. but i do try to do videos that show how loud it actually is...

and no i am not running an 18 with a 12. lol thats just silly. its one 12, on 1800 wrms at 1 ohm. and the bl only weighs 35 lbs IIRC

and i dont see any issue with doing what im doing with 2 12"s on 1200 wrms. it is a bigger car though...