Sign in to follow this  
Racerkid15

While saving for new setup need help building box

Hey guys I'm saving up for the BTL 15" setup as I stated before in a different topic.. I'm running into quite a few money issues and the process is sadly being delayed for me which really sucks :( for now I just have 2 12" kicker CVR's doing around a weak 115 in a sealed box.. I heard MANY great things about ported boxes and want to try to build one but I'm just 17 and never done this before and I figure now is a great time to learn. I went to www.homedepot.com to try and find some 3/4th" MDF wood as someone on here told me to do but was unable to find any as far as the -online site- goes. I know building another sealed box is easy just 4 panels and 2 12" holes in one very simple indeed but ported is far more complitcated.. port length, port tuning/frequency, slot port boards in the box etc etc.

Anyways since I'm being delayed on my btl setup I want to get the most out of my current setup by going ported for louder I was thinking about building a box for 2 12" kicker cvr's with dual slot ports on the far left and far right of the front of the box so it would be like this from left to right on the box ''slot port, subwoofer, subwoofer, slot port."

The reason I'm here talking about this is cause I need help I'm wondering.. when building a -ported- box how do you "know" exactly how big to make the port in order to -tune- it to a certain freq like 34 hrtz? what makes the port tuned? the length? height? width? or all of the above? sorry for the million questions I'm very sorry I'm new to this and newbies are always fun to deal with so anyone who is patient enough to help me out I'd REALLY appreciate it alot lol thanks so much as I'm hoping to gain at least a few dbs / spl from 115 to hopefully a 120 by doing this since I hear ported boxes reduce sound quality slightly but increase loudness so please help me out by knowing everything about ported boxes and ALL the equipment I'll need to build one for the first time thanks guys!!!!!

BTW: The box dimensions would be probably around these but not 100% sure yet thanks!!!

Width: 35"

Depth: 18"

Height: 17"

When calculating for your port area...Take 12-16in^2 per ft^3 of box space. To determine how much port area. To figure out port area take desired port width x desired port height. When doing a slot port.

Use this link to calculate your tuning .... PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES

Awesome method and calculator pretty simple to use and seems to be very very accurate when compairing it to pre tuned boxes online -taking the port dimensions and putting them in the calculator- I have a good idea of what to do now for the ports and I'm making a list of all the tools I'll need to build a good box :) thanks man.

All we require now is pictures and more pictures of your box! trink40.gif

All we require now is pictures and more pictures of your box! trink40.gif

Oh for sure I will be posting pics after I gather all the required tools and the wood from home depot later today so far all I need is a good power saw they have one on sale a black and decker 19.2v one that looks nice for the price so I'll either start the build late late today or tomorrow morning look forward to pics probably here.. I'd post in the build section but a built box for 2 12" kicker comps isn't all that much to -brag- about really lol.. as the real bass heads would say it's not about how much bass you have.. it's all about the love of bass and the hobby its self.. but others think it's all about whos got the -most- bass possible that makes them a bass head in this hobby :( so untill I get the FI setup that I posted a few days ago I'm not going to post in the building section -unless asked to by an admin- I hope with my -full- 3 12" setup I'll hit a 131.3 on my DB meter cause it reads 1-1.2 higher on the dot then termlabs mic.. so if I did that score on mine it would be 130+ on TL which isnt to bad :) oh well off to the store as we speak later man!

I know building another sealed box is easy just 4 panels and 2 12" holes in one

Technically, a box needs 6 panels (they need sides too). lol Just goofing on you :gayhaaay1: Good luck with your build

Edited by RaTtLz