Don Ganso

S1200 vs s3400

I have enough money for either battery, I am just curious which is better for my needs:

It has to be a 12v battery that has 6 cells or less and is less than 800 cubic inches, but both batteries already fit this criteria I think.

I will be replacing my starting battery first and then adding a secondary battery later.

I will change vehicles at some point in the next few years so I guess the smaller s1200 would be more flexible as far as space limitations are concerned, but the 3400 would fit in the starting battery location of my current vehicle, (1993 Saturn SW2).

As long as either battery fits I will go with the one with more juice, (of course), but I know that the 3400 doesn't have the steel case where as the 1200 does. Will the 3400 be safe?

Last but not least, when it says that the battery can supply x number of watts as a starting battery, does that mean before or after you take into account all of the stock electrical stuff like lights and windows and locks, or after?

Currently my system is a total of about 1000 watts RMS, but it will be going towards 2500 in the future. I currently have an 85 amp alt and the big 3 done, so I'd like a large battery bank to help me out voltage-drop wise.

Thanks

i have a xs1200 and it hold up pretty good.

I would go with the D3400 for now and replace your factory battery with it, as it will start the car and have some juice for your current system. Then when you upgrade amps and need more power then look at another battery, you may only need a D925 or something as secondary.

The 3400 will work fine under the hood. I would suggest going with the S3400, because it comes with automotive terminals and is the same price as the D3400.

Yes the wattage guide takes into account the vehicles power requirements. That is why the starting battery numbers are lower than the same battery being used as a secondary battery.

The 3400 will work fine under the hood. I would suggest going with the S3400, because it comes with automotive terminals and is the same price as the D3400.

Yes the wattage guide takes into account the vehicles power requirements. That is why the starting battery numbers are lower than the same battery being used as a secondary battery.

Lord knows what I'll be driving next, but I do want plenty of juice....

Any other XS batts you would recomend for my application? I was thinking 1200 front and 1200 back and then 3400 front and 1200 back, but

I guess I would like to hear more about what you would recommend, if anything.

I have read the "I have an XXXXXX watt system" thread many times and been to the site as well, but I just want to be sure of what I want before

I pull the trigger. Money doesn't grow on trees unless you're a lumberjack.

S3400 is what I would suggest.

Then the deal is sealed, I'll be ordering ASAP.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Nice purchase, but to bad you missed the SSA group buy!

Thanks again!

Nice purchase, but to bad you missed the SSA group buy!

Yeah... Make hay while the sun shines, or so they say, but in my case, the sun didn't start shining early enough in the season. :shrug:

Better late than never.

I remeasured just to be sure, and the 3400 is going to be a tight squeeze heighth-wise, so I'm thinking a 1200 might be a safe bet.

Now I have another question: Can I run more than a 1500 watt setup with just the one 1200 as a starting battery? Not a lot more, just like 1600 watts or so...

I remeasured just to be sure, and the 3400 is going to be a tight squeeze heighth-wise, so I'm thinking a 1200 might be a safe bet.

Now I have another question: Can I run more than a 1500 watt setup with just the one 1200 as a starting battery? Not a lot more, just like 1600 watts or so...

If the height of the posts is the issue you could always mount it on its side.

The S1200 would handle that system as a starting battery for most daily driver applications.

The S1200 would handle that system as a starting battery for most daily driver applications.

Most excellent. I'll just get another for the back if need be. Thanks

Wait a tick, do you mean buy the side-terminal adapters you sell or actually lay the battery on it's side? That sounds ludacris with a lot of other batteries but I hear you guys have cooked up something special with these, so I figured I'd ask, (about laying on side).

Wait a tick, do you mean buy the side-terminal adapters you sell or actually lay the battery on it's side? That sounds ludacris with a lot of other batteries but I hear you guys have cooked up something special with these, so I figured I'd ask, (about laying on side).

You can lay the battery how ever you want to, except for upside down (never understood why someone would want to mount a battery upside down).

You can lay the battery how ever you want to, except for upside down (never understood why someone would want to mount a battery upside down).

Wowsers, these are special. Thanks

Not special.............. just XS Power Batteries!!

I have a few more questions before I go ahead and decide...

1.) On your battery power chart, when it says that, say, the 1200 has juice for 1500 watts when used as a starting battery and 3000 watts as a secondary battery, does that mean that two 1200s would support 3000 watts or 4500 watts? I'm a little unclear on this subject and depending on the answer I may downgrage the battery size to save weight/money because I really want to do a two battery setup, (learning experience and personal preference).

2.) I know that an H/O alt would help me use fewer and less powerful batteries to provide the same power for my system, but how much will it help?

Not special.............. just XS Power Batteries!!

Special, as in sealed AGM batteries :P

1.) On your battery power chart, when it says that, say, the 1200 has juice for 1500 watts when used as a starting battery and 3000 watts as a secondary battery, does that mean that two 1200s would support 3000 watts or 4500 watts? I'm a little unclear on this subject and depending on the answer I may downgrage the battery size to save weight/money because I really want to do a two battery setup, (learning experience and personal preference).

2.) I know that an H/O alt would help me use fewer and less powerful batteries to provide the same power for my system, but how much will it help?

Anyone know?

Anyone know?

If you have a S1200 as a starting battery (1500watts) and a D1200 as a secondary battery (3000watts) you will get about 4500watts of power for the system. It is always good to have some extra battery power especially if you are down on alternator power.

Ok here is a basic estimate on alternator power. I am just going to throw these numbers out there for an example. Lets say you have a 1500watt system and a 100amp alternator. You can figure about 50amps is going to your car to keep it running, so that would leave you with 50amps of power your alternator can put out. A 1500watt system is going to pull about 150amps of power, so with the 50amps the alternator can supply you are about 100amps short on power. This 100amp shortage is going to be pulled directly from your batteries, and this is why you see a voltage drop in your electrical system. If the same system had a 200amp or 250amp alternator the drop in battery voltage would be very minimal if any.

If you have a S1200 as a starting battery (1500watts) and a D1200 as a secondary battery (3000watts) you will get about 4500watts of power for the system. It is always good to have some extra battery power especially if you are down on alternator power.

Ok here is a basic estimate on alternator power. I am just going to throw these numbers out there for an example. Lets say you have a 1500watt system and a 100amp alternator. You can figure about 50amps is going to your car to keep it running, so that would leave you with 50amps of power your alternator can put out. A 1500watt system is going to pull about 150amps of power, so with the 50amps the alternator can supply you are about 100amps short on power. This 100amp shortage is going to be pulled directly from your batteries, and this is why you see a voltage drop in your electrical system. If the same system had a 200amp or 250amp alternator the drop in battery voltage would be very minimal if any.

In this case, I think I will be getting 2 925s and an HO alt, as this will better fit my application, (2000ish watts RMS). For such a little package, these batteries have a lot of power! I can save a ton of weight in batteries this way!