Sign in to follow this  
Slumpin

how much polyfill do i use?

i've got 2 rl-p's with 1.3 ft^3 each, maybe a few hundredths of a foot less. i put in about 30 or 35 oz of polyfill. i just kind of stuffed it in there whole. am i supposed to tear off smaller pieces before packing it? is 30-35 oz about the right amount?

thats net volume, speakers factored in. might be as little as 1.2 net, i never worked the exact numbers for the final dimensions i went with.

I would ensure that the polyfill is evenly distributed throughout your enclosure, and not a big lump boucing around in it  :poop:

A nice link posted just a few weeks ago.. icon11.gifFILL 'ER UP

nice link for sure,

so Mike, since many people will be using the RL-p in a 2.0^3 ported enclosure, how much poly fill would you reccomend since the link you have says to put 1.4 lb/ft^2 for a 1.4^3 enclosure effectively makeing it preform to the nature of a 2.0^3 box?

in essence how much effect will increasing the box size to theoriticly 2.5^3?

To make it clear from the get-go, I don't often use polyfill myself, so I personally wouldn't bother stuffing a ported enclosure at all. But, if one were to look at stuffing a 2.0 cu ft ported enclosure, I would suggest stuffing roughly 1.3 - 1.5 lbs of polyfill per cubic foot, or up to 3 lbs of polyfill total. Extrapolating from the given data, I would estimate that this would allow the 2.0 cu ft enclosure to perform roughly as though it were a 2.5 cu ft enclosure - but this is purely hypothetical.

i put 60 oz of poly in my box, ripped it up into small pieces and stuffed the whole box. its a bit deeper sounding, i just bought three six world domination the other day, and late night tip is just scary. makes my head hurt. i think this is a bit more than recommended, 4 pounds and i've got 2.6 net, going to take 5-10 oz out and see if i can notice a change.

ps thanks a lot mike, im loving these speakers more and more now that they're getting broken in. at first they'd barely jump my vision but now its just brutal. louder than any 2 12's i've ever heard in any car.