Slumpin

why does one of my subs pop?

my speakers are wired together at 1 ohm, and they've never been hooked up independently. just one of them will pop if i play really heavy bass and turn it up, when it reaches full excursion, but the other one never does. i've been using my deck boost at +5, turned up to 26/35, with the amp up all the way and amp bass boost off. if i was giving them too much power, shouldnt they both be popping? i dont know if it was doing it when i first hooked it up, i hadnt played it at full volume with the hatch open until today. it isnt noticeable if im inside the car, the bass overwhelms it. i've been keeping my deck turned down to 23-25 so that it doesnt do it, but id like to be able to turn them both up the same. does it sound like a need a reconing already? how much does that service run?

You are probably bottoming out the driver. I don't know how your setup is, but its easy for one sub to unload quicker than another depending on placement in relation to the port.

i did set it up using the dmm method. and its a sealed box, common chamber, not ported.

its a 1200 watt amp on 2 subs that are known to take more than 1000 watts each, and love it.

Also, are you 100% certain that your woofers are both wired in phase? If your gains are maxxed using the DMM method then you either have like a 250mV preout or your math is a bit off.

i set up the gains with the dmm and the sub bass at +5. says in the tutorial to max your head unit sub level, mines at 5 out of 10. said i shouldnt clip if i take the square root of my rms power, and dont exceed that.

it shouldnt clip no matter how my gains and boosts are set up as long as it doesnt exceed the voltage right?

i did 1200 squared and came up with i think 34.6 or 34.8, it rarely passes 33.5 and never passes 34.6. that was on a 45 hz test tone, but ive done it with a few music cd's too.

i have both negatives and both positives wired to their respective terminals on the other voice coils, with one of the positives and one of the negatives joined to the other woofer. the + and - from the amp wire, i have the + going to one + terminal on one speaker, and the - going to the negative on the other one.

i just followed a fosgate diagram i saw on here, for 1 ohm, and its the same other than in the picture the + and - from the amp were both hooked up to one speaker.

can someone tell me what this wiring is called? parallel series?

what do you mean by wired in phase? i've got all the positives and negatives where they need to be if thats what you mean.

Congratulations, you have figured out a huge error in the gain settin tutorial on this forum. It doesn't take into account overrated amplifiers.

I bet 1000 bucks and my left nut that you are heavy into clipping if observed with an oscilloscope. The amp is overrated, and isn't going to produce 1200 RMS into a 1ohm load without clipping.

i thought eD's were underrated? like a lot?

what does it cost for a reconing?

u'll have to email mike directly for the reconing...

and according to ur math, the amp needs to have full gain for the 1200wrms? yeah, i'll bet ur clipping....

reset ur gains with the deck sub control cranked...that will give u a measure of adjustment later. if the gains still have to be maxed to achieve 1200, i'd do the math to get them down to 1000.

without an o-scope, it's better to be safe then sorry. and gains cranked are never a good thing....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

think i might have found the problem :Doh:

i was watching my subs play with the hatch open earlier, and noticed they were actually popping on the high bass notes. i check the crossover on my nine.1 on its set at probably 130. my deck was set to 80 hz under eq/sub and i just assumed the deck cut off everything over 80 :faintthud:

so i turn it down, and play the song i noticed it the most on, and now it sounds fine. probably crossed over at 80-85ish now. bloody non labeled ed dials :lame:

still the same question though, why one speaker and not the other? minor manufacturing differences where one can take more punishment than another? right now i've been playing it at 25 and 26 out of 35 with the sub control on the deck at +4. the amp gain is just slightly under full and the bass boost is off.

did i do serious damage to the woofer by playing that stuff through it loud, and will it just come back if i keep playing under 80 hz loud?

commense flamage :idiot:

ur deck should have cut it off at 80....

but instead of speculating, i'll just reply this way....

u have since backed ur gain down a bit, reset the x-over and teh subs are playing fine? my guess is that between ur adjustments, u cured the problem. and if ur not experiencing the popping anymore, u should be fine.

as to the one sub doing it and not the other, well, that's a question best reserved for the man who had them built...lol..especially since ur running sealed..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

not noticably different. but the same one still starts bottoming out before the other one, when its really pounding some low bass.

today i turned up the sub output on my deck to +8 and turned the amp down to between 3/5 and 3/4. sounds nice, good and loud and doesnt bottom out. the amp came with a remote gain switch so i can play with it as im driving, going to try +10 and a little lower tomorrow. i think i'll probably end up with it at +7 and the amp a little higher though, doesnt seem right having a crappy charging system and battery, 4 gauge wire split into 8 gauge to the amp, with an amp rated a 1200 watts 3/4 of the way up, and pounding the hell out of 2 750 watt 12's. :unsure:

Recones are 50% of the purchase price, and depending on current stock can take a little while to get done. As to why one woofer may be behaving a bit differently than another, as you speculated, that's the downfall (or beauty, depending on how you look at it ;) ) of a handmade product!

Not sure why the hell you've been playing your amp gain so high, but if the drivers are performing properly now then I suppose you're gettin' a feel for how they like to be setup. Be sure to let me know if these problems persist on that one 12, as always email is the quickest --> contact

Recones are 50% of the purchase price, and depending on current stock can take a little while to get done.  As to why one woofer may be behaving a bit differently than another, as you speculated, that's the downfall (or beauty, depending on how you look at it ;) ) of a handmade product!

Not sure why the hell you've been playing your amp gain so high, but if the drivers are performing properly now then I suppose you're gettin' a feel for how they like to be setup.  Be sure to let me know if these problems persist on that one 12, as always email is the quickest --> contact

eh i have my amp all the way up and my rl-15 sounds awesome lol