Typicaljawaiian

PSP port questions............help!

I have a 15" AA SMD that's powered by a Stetsom 7k2e. I will gain down to 3500 - 4000 watts @ 1 ohm.

Biggest enclosure I can fit in the trunk is 4.5 - 4.6^3 before displacement. The sub will take up .24 cubes and bracing .2

That leaves me w ~ 4.05^3 before port.

I'll be using a 6" PSP Aeroport. A few questions I have are

1. Do you find port area in the straight length pipe, or at the very end (diameter of the mouth opening)?

2. My PSP has a 6" diameter straight pipe that flares out to 8" at the very end (on both sides). Which number do I use to find port area?

3. Do PSP's really require half the recommended port area as a slot or straight round port?

If this is any help, these are some specs on the sub

Recommended box size: 2-4^3

Xmax: 32mm one way

Effective cone area: 810 cm

Edited by Typicaljawaiian

You need more like two 6" ports.

What do you want your tuning at?

I'd go with 90-110 square inches of port area.

1. Port area is just that, the area of the port opening. Nothing to do with length, that's displacement.

2. No they don't require half the area, I think you mean normally they have half the displacement

Thanks for the help

So..........

My 6" aero opens up to 8" at the very end on both sides. That gives me a port area of 50.xx^2

Now I read somewhere that PSP Ports require less port area (not port displacement) than slot ports. Some say close to 50% less port area.

That would mean I am close to your recommended 90 - 110 square in?

Thanks for the help

So..........

My 6" aero opens up to 8" at the very end on both sides. That gives me a port area of 50.xx^2

Now I read somewhere that PSP Ports require less port area (not port displacement) than slot ports. Some say close to 50% less port area.

That would mean I am close to your recommended 90 - 110 square in?

He answered that already, :worthless:

You have to have the same port area........

Duran said no so you should listen to him but i also read it takes less port area for a aeroport. not positive but i think they say that because it's suppose to let the air flow through the port easier.

Measure the actual area for port area not the flare. You can get away with using less port area when using a flared port compared to a non flared port.

This.

Measure the actual area for port area not the flare. You can get away with using less port area when using a flared port compared to a non flared port.

You can't magically not need port area, the material and shape of the port won't matter round or square, you still need similar port area.

"Get away with" meaning you won't be as likely to encounter port noise, but it still won't be optimal.

This.

You can't magically not need port area, the material and shape of the port won't matter round or square, you still need similar port area.

Its not magic. A flared port reduces turbulence and compression which would allow you to run less port area compared to a port with no flares.