Slumpin

excessive amperage 200 amp idle performance

i put in my new 200 amp from the group buy at ca.com forums. when over 950 rpm or so, it is awesome, rarely ever drops from 13.5 volts and when it does, not under 13. (going by my dash gauge anyhow)

under 950 though, the voltage will drop almost to the red, to around 9.. red is at 7.5 or 8. having the stereo up drops it almost another half volt. either way, that is way low voltage. i could just turn my idle rpm up to 950 but it would burn more gas, and i like the rumble of a healthy v8 idling around 700 rpm.

i do not have my optima yellow top in yet, waiting on terminals. im using an old, cheap, autozone battery, with 4 gauge run to the back split into 2 8 gauge wires. no cap or anything like that, just the big 3 in 4 gauge. will it improve with my optima, if not, will a cap store enough from driving to keep the voltage up at idle? anything else i can do to raise idle output?

Most cars idle at 1000 ish, i dont think 250rpm's are going to burn so much gas that you will notice it.

Who cares about idle, do you ever drive at 700rpm's ? NO

Im shure the old Autozone battery isnt helping, a cap wouldnt help at all.

I suggest you email Nate and talk to him about it ;)

Most cars idle at 1000 ish, i dont think 250rpm's are going to burn so much gas that you will notice it.

i think i'd notice it, 93 octane goes for 2.59 a gallon right now, and my car gets about 15-16 mpg in town, probably less on the highway with 4.10 gears. besides, i like the way the engine sounds idling low, lot of cam, sounds nasty through the 3 inch hooker headers and catback. i'll email nate about it and see what he says :fing34:

huh? most cars idle at around 750ish...

anyway, most alternators drop voltage down low..not sure if nate's are any different.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

its no good at all to run my amps hard on low voltage right? just hit att. everytime i stop?

Do you have underdrive pulleys? I don't really see how you can own that piece and be concerned about mileage. It just doesn't go together. Especially with a lump cam and the low gears. BTW, how's your vacuum? Also, you will INCREASED highway mileage compared to city driving.

Personally, I would find a slightly smaller diameter alternator pulley. This should help spin it faster at idle without affecting anything else. Keep in mind that it may be detrimental to the lifespan of the alt, but I highly doubt it.

The yellow top isn't in yet?

not yet, still have to get some terminals for it. audio shops around here are lame and dont have 0/1 gauge terminals, so i had to order some. haven't forgotten about you, just had to get caught up on my credit bills i had from being on disability since march. went back to work about a month ago but just last week got my for 10 week disability check, so i wanted to pay off all the ones with interest, and this week i had to make my car payment. i'll get something your way next thursday. thanks again for the awesome deal and shipping, i think i had it 3 days after paying. :fing34:

Do you have underdrive pulleys?  I don't really see how you can own that piece and be concerned about mileage.  It just doesn't go together.  Especially with a lump cam and the low gears.  BTW, how's your vacuum?  Also, you will INCREASED highway mileage compared to city driving. 

Personally, I would find a slightly smaller diameter alternator pulley.  This should help spin it faster at idle without affecting anything else.  Keep in mind that it may be detrimental to the lifespan of the alt, but I highly doubt it.

i dont think they are underdrive pulleys. my a/c and AIR (emissions) gear has been removed. the crank pulley has 1 v-belt straight to the power steering, and a second, not so wide one that drives the water pump and alternator. both are good and tight.

as far as i know, my vacuum is fine. i havent checked it in a few months, but it still idles fine low, and accelerates evenly. but i can give it a check, im off until thursday.

believe me, i dont get as good of mileage on the highway. to drive 75ish (not sure because my speedo is set for 3.42 gears so it says 120 instead of 75 lol) the rpms sit right at 24-2500. usually i drive about 65 on the interstate, and still get about 22-2300 rpm. i'd guess cruising at 70 i get maybe 10-12 mpg.

i dont want to do anything that might hurt the alternator, going to wait to hear what nathan has to say.