GoBigRed313

12" RLP on the way...

Ok, I am finally starting on the box tomorrow. I have one final question, though. I have decided on going with 2.0 cubes and porting it with a 4" aeroport at roughly 34 hz. I am trying to figure out the area of my port and I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. The 4" port will be 12" long, I ended up coming up with .09 cubic feet that it will take up using a calculator I found online. Does this sound about right?

Your round port is essentially an open-ended cylinder.

The volume of a cylinder may be found with the equasion: Pi * r^2 * h

Where Pi = 3.14159 ; r = the radius of the cylinder (half of the diameter) ; h = height of the cylinder

So your 4" round port has a radius of 2" and a height of 12". Thus:

3.14159 * (2 in * 2 in) * 12 in = 150.8 cubic inches

1 cubic inch = 0.0005787 cubic feet. Thus, your port will displace:

150.8 (in) * 0.0005787 (cu ft / in) = 0.087 cubic feet of volume

In short, yes your online calculator seems to be on par. thumbup.gif

Ok, got the sub hooked up yesterday, FINALLY! The words "Holy" and "chit" come to mind. This single sub is as loud as my w6v2's in the sealed box and louder on a few songs. WOW! Sound quality is excellent. I ended up putting the port on the box on the top and have the port mouth open up to the vacant factory 6x9 opening in the rear deck. Along with the custom 3 way components I installed, I have the sound quality I have been looking for, and the money I saved by selling my JL's allowed me to get the equipment in a wash. My cousin was helping me this weekend and I know he will be spreading the word around Dallas when he goes home. I believe he described as "For 1 12"...that's just silly!"

whats you custom 3 way setup consist of and what are your locations?

I had JL Audio 5.25" VRs before. I took the 5.25" woofer and bought 1" JL Audio XR tweeters and put them in kicks. I went to ebay and found a set of JL Audio XR 6.5" woofers and put them in the stock door pod in a new fabricated door mount.(Grand Prix's have sweet angled door pods) I found a set of Cerwin Vega Crossovers that can be used on cabinet speakers or for car use. My crossover points are 300 hz and down to the 6.5, 300-7 khz for the 5.25" and the tweeter handles the rest. I have yet to start tinkering with my eq and the sound is out of this world!