Sign in to follow this  
usmc7980

help with sundown

Forgive me if this is dumb, The red protection led came on no my sax 100.4 this morning. I tested the speakers and the right front reads 4.3 ohms the left front reads 5.5 ohms and both bak read 4.2 ohms. I know a speaker short can cause the protection to come on. Is the 5.5 a short or would it read OL on the meter?

Unhook each speaker one by one to see if it is a speaker related issue.

is it stuck in protection?

have you removed all speaker wires from the amp along with the RCA. and just let the amp stand alone with power to see if it comes out of protection?

have you removed all power and ground? as to reset?

where is your amp mounted? to the box?

is it stuck in protection?

have you removed all speaker wires from the amp along with the RCA. and just let the amp stand alone with power to see if it comes out of protection?

have you removed all power and ground? as to reset?

where is your amp mounted? to the box?

Amp is mounted to the floor board of my Explorer. I have unhooked the speaker wires but not the rest, I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks

I just removed the the power, ground, remote, speaker and RCA's and let it sit awhile. I hooked everything back up and it still is in protection. When I turn on the deck the power LED flashed and then it turns to the protection and the power goes out.

I just removed the the power, ground, remote, speaker and RCA's and let it sit awhile. I hooked everything back up and it still is in protection. When I turn on the deck the power LED flashed and then it turns to the protection and the power goes out.

sounds like it may need to be looked at... perhaps jacob will chime in .

That's what I'm thinking. The thing that concerns me is the one speaker at 5.5 ohms, but it is still in protection with all the speakers and RCA's unhooked so now I'm not sure about that one speaker......

That's what I'm thinking. The thing that concerns me is the one speaker at 5.5 ohms, but it is still in protection with all the speakers and RCA's unhooked so now I'm not sure about that one speaker......

I would hook up the main battery lead,the ground and the remote turn on lead nothing else and see if it goes into protection mode if it does and you have a soid ground and good battery voltage ,it is probaly an amp issue if it doesn't, hook up a speaker at a time up till the protection light comes on and look at that perticular speaker.

I would hook up the main battery lead,the ground and the remote turn on lead nothing else and see if it goes into protection mode if it does and you have a soid ground and good battery voltage ,it is probaly an amp issue if it doesn't, hook up a speaker at a time up till the protection light comes on and look at that perticular speaker.

That is is exactly what I have now, power, ground and remote only and it is still in protection.

That is is exactly what I have now, power, ground and remote only and it is still in protection.

Then i would say you have an amp problem.

Check your remote wire and make sure its not pinched, make sure you have a solid power connection as well as ground. If all these are top notch then try another amp if you or a friend has one laying around, this will help in determining if it is the amp or a connection.

all the connections are correct and flowing power, jay-cee. I'll track down another amp and try what you said

If a speaker wire grounded out it would have damaged your amp.

I pulled all the speakers out of the doors and checked them. They are all good. All the wires are intact no frays or kinks in them. How would I know if a wire grounded? Is there anything I can do on my end to check the amp and see what it is doing or do I need to send back to you. I sent 2 emails on your site explaining things. Let me know what I need to do, either keep working on it or send to you is fine with me.

After Jacob said a grounded wire might cause the amp to protect, I nit picked everything again yesterday and found that on the speaker reading 5.5 ohms, I had a loose wire at the crossover. I tightened that up and now it is reading normal. I think maybe the terminal rubbed on something and tripped the amp. I doubt that is a warranty repair but at least I think I know what caused it.

Sign in to follow this