A week ago I posted in the speaker forum about 1 of my xcons getting

hot while the other stayed cool and I figured out what happened with the

wires getting mixed up but then today when I fixed the speaker wires

the speaker would not work at all. When I push the sub in it is not locked or

make any screaching noise. The leads seem to be fine. There looks like there

might be a slight tear in the spider.

Would a recone fix this or would it need to be sent out? Also how much does 1 cost for 15"xcon

If there is anything else anyone can suggest for me to look at the sub or to try

it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What do the colis read?

Does it sound bad?

If the spider is ripped, you prolly need to recone.

the "rip" doesn't seem to even go all the way through so I do not think it is responsible for the speaker not playing at all.

The coils read? What should i use to get a reading?

My other 15" works fine and I took the wires and plugged them into the non working one and nothing playing I

just do not know why it is not playing.

Edited by TooLoud4You

if the rip is only throught the top spider, you should be ok for a while, there is 4 more spiders underneath the top layer. Hopefully you can get this figured out, what does it read with a dmm on each coil?

would a little bit of glue on this joint fix this?

How bout a clearer picture so we can see where the rip is?

CIMG0331.jpg

further looks it looks like maybe just some glue separation.

But I could not see this make the sub not move or anything when hooked up.

I don't have anything to read the coils but I will go pick up something for that

tommorrow, how would I do it just check one pair of coils at a time?

Edited by TooLoud4You

There wouldn't be a problem with a little glue separation there at all, I would run a bead of epoxy there to keep it from separating further.

Somebody needs an adjustable subsonic filter :)

You've probably locked up and popped the spiders underneath of it and yanked the tinsel leads..what you've posted only happens if something moves too much..

It'l need a recone.

so a recone should get this guy rolling again?

Is there someone I can pm or should I call someone?

Any1 have any tips with doing a recone?

Maybe support@soundsolutionsaudio.com would be a good start. ;)

You've probably locked up and popped the spiders underneath of it and yanked the tinsel leads..what you've posted only happens if something moves too much..

It'l need a recone.

:+1:

each coil is reading .8 on the 1ohm speaker.

I heard that if my subwoofer won't work but the coils are reading correctly

the issue is mechanical and a recone will not do anything, is this true?

What caused the damage was the neg and pos wires from the amp to the speaker

were reversed.

The coils are fine. That's the DC resistance.

Yes.

each coil is reading .8 on the 1ohm speaker.

I heard that if my subwoofer won't work but the coils are reading correctly

the issue is mechanical and a recone will not do anything, is this true?

What caused the damage was the neg and pos wires from the amp to the speaker

were reversed.

You heard wrong. The recone will fix it all.

The damage has nothing to do with you hooking the positive and negative up backwards. It's caused by over excursion as Nick has already explained.

User error.

I've read and saw videos on doing recones and have a friend that has reconed his btl

is there anything differently with reconing an xcon? or does any1 have anytips for me

Thanks for all the help.

I've read and saw videos on doing recones and have a friend that has reconed his btl

is there anything differently with reconing an xcon? or does any1 have anytips for me

Thanks for all the help.

I would just send it in and let the pros do it.

Thanks for all the help.

probably your best bet.

Thanks for all the help.

That, and warranty purposes, as in once re-coned by anyone but SSA/SSA build house, the warranty goes poof. ;)

It'l need a recone.

hey on the FI Q how low should i set the subsonic level?? and exacly what is subsonic level mean?? i got sealed box 2.3cf

It'l need a recone.

hey on the FI Q how low should i set the subsonic level?? and exacly what is subsonic level mean?? i got sealed box 2.3cf

The sub-sonic filter removes bass frequencies that are too low to be heard by the human ear, hence the term sub-sonic, the main purpose of a SSF is to cut out low freq. to prevent damage to your sub when in a ported enclosure. If you enclosure is tuned to...say 32Hz...this means you are producing 32Hz at 0dB...as the scale drops below 0dB the sub has the potential of reaching an over excursion limit (cone will move more than it is made to) and in result you will damage you sub. The enclosure can not supply enough back pressure to support the suspension of the sub below its tuning freq. For sealed box, it is not so important, but for basreflex boxes it is, because speaker excursion goes rapidly up under vent tuning frequency. So you can blow your 1000W speaker with 200 Watts easily without smoke. The voice coil can hit the backplate of magnetic assembly or speaker cone can leave the basket and fly somewhere...; :D so if you want to have 30Hz in your music, you should tune your bassreflex box to 30-35Hz and cut it somewhere around 30Hz, because if 20Hz tone come, your speaker is going to crash when fully powered.

It'l need a recone.

The sub-sonic filter removes bass frequencies that are too low to be heard by the human ear, hence the term sub-sonic, the main purpose of a SSF is to cut out low freq. to prevent damage to your sub when in a ported enclosure. If you enclosure is tuned to...say 32Hz...this means you are producing 32Hz at 0dB...as the scale drops below 0dB the sub has the potential of reaching an over excursion limit (cone will move more than it is made to) and in result you will damage you sub. The enclosure can not supply enough back pressure to support the suspension of the sub below its tuning freq. For sealed box, it is not so important, but for basreflex boxes it is, because speaker excursion goes rapidly up under vent tuning frequency. So you can blow your 1000W speaker with 200 Watts easily without smoke. The voice coil can hit the backplate of magnetic assembly or speaker cone can leave the basket and fly somewhere...; :D so if you want to have 30Hz in your music, you should tune your bassreflex box to 30-35Hz and cut it somewhere around 30Hz, because if 20Hz tone come, your speaker is going to crash when fully powered.

aahh thank you sir.