Sign in to follow this  
Robertw813

Problem with an Eclipse 5425 HU

For my birthday, my girlfriend bought me a brand spanking new Eclipse 5425 HU. I chose to install it because I was ripping everything out in order to lay down wiring for new speakers and amp. And I just really like doing that stuff myself. The problem is this...

Sometimes the display and buttons don't light up and are inoperative. The stereo still plays, but you can only adjust the volume level and change stations. You cant insert or eject a cd, change any functions, or even tilt the screen. Other times every thing works just fine and dandy like it should. There doesn't seem to be any patern to when it does this.

I have triple checked my wiring and made sure that there is zero corrosion on the battery. As far as I can tell it is all good. My previous Kenwood HU which I didn't take out until I put the Eclipse in was working just fine. I have an adapter that slides over the factory harness and gives you all the wires you need to plug in an aftermarket HU. Also, I haven't blown a single fuse.

I did find an Eclipse dealer in my area that said they can check it out for me, but it will take a week or so and I get charged if I botched the installation. They will exchange the HU for me if it is indeed bad.

Anyone ever have a problem like this? Anyone have any more ideas of things that I might have missed?

Thanks.

-Rob