Sign in to follow this  
TooLoud4You

Problem with headunit

I was just installing my pioneer avh 4200 and while i was pushing the headunit in my yellow wire came undone and must have grounded

because the unit shut off. When I connected the yellows back together the unit would not turn on. But once I touch the yellow with a constant 12v

connection it turns on. Is there a way i can fix my yellow wire or would i have to tap into another wire?

Everytime I turn off the unit it will reset because the yellow wire isn't working. BTW it is an explorer 2003.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

have you checked to make sure you didn't blow a fuse? What i mean is, the wire that connects to the yellow wire, does it still get any power?

is there any simple way i could test it? or would i need a tool of some sort.

Look at your fuses for the stereo fuse and make sure it's not blown or get a dmm and measure dc voltage coming out of it, or carefully and quickly brush the wire with a vehicle ground, if it sparks, it's got power. Option 3 is ghetto, but I've been known to do it for a quick test. :)

Edited by mr.sagat

i really appreciate u working with me.

no spark from the yellow wire. I also looked in my manual but could not find a stereo fuse.

i really appreciate u working with me.

no spark from the yellow wire. I also looked in my manual but could not find a stereo fuse.

No spark even with your ignition on? I can almost promise you that when you grounded out that wire, you blew the fuse that fuses it. Just google search it, or find out which fuse it is one way or another and replace the fuse for it What is your vehicle?

Edited by mr.sagat

fuse blocks are usually under the hood or in the driver side kick panel. There is usually a cover, when you pull the cover there is a sticker that will tell you what fuse fuses what circuit. The stereo fuse will usually be a 10 or a 15 amp fuse.

it is an 03 ford explorer.

Yea i turned on the ignition and no spark from the wire.

I have been trying to find which fuse it is but searching is taking me in other direcftions.

Most automobile manuals have an emergency section where they list the fuses and their location..

From searching it seems under the driver side dash there are some fuses.

Edited by mr.sagat

Or the fuse that goes in from the streo.

When he connects the head unit with a constant 12v source he said it still powers up. So the fuse for the head unit has to be good...

thank u so much.

I checked every fuse under the hood but totally forgot about the panel in the car. looked at the manual.

#3 stereo....blown

put in the one from the moonroof (which i do not have haha)

and finally got it all put back together.

Thanks alot i was started to get very very frustrated...been a long week and its only weds...

cool man, no problem about the help.