adirevolvo

Super Subs

My take on the "Super Subs" from mostly first hand experince.

RE XXX - Loudest LSQ sub when given the power is needs, Very good SQ. If you can fit a larger box over 3.5 cubes and can give it 2k watts its the best bet. If you have about 1k watts or less I would go with the brahma which will get just as loud and sound a tad better. Under $400 shipped which is a good value. Largest of the bunch also, takes a stong person to lift a 15 lol.

Adire Brahma - Best SQ/LSQ of the 3. With 1k watts its just as loud as a XXX. Nice due to the fact it can work very well in a huge range of boxes. Adire also invented the technolgy used in the H2, some other dei crap, XXX and some others(XBL^2) and they are the best at using it. Another thing to note is that you really only need about 400 watts rms on a brahma to get it to do what it needs to sealed or ported. 1k is prob what most people use and there is nothing wrong with that, but there is no good reason to give a brahma 2k watts like a XXX. Most $$$ out of all of them which is a downside at about $440.

ED 15a - A very well rounded driver. Nothing amzing about it but everything about it is very good. Great price for what you get at $315. ED has had its problems, and I would not recomend buying a used one. They had issues with back ordering, but the main issue with the A's was that the cones would crack and bend and wrap. The new ones use extra foil to make it thicker but still, its not the bext designed sub out there.

Orion H2 - Best sub for burps, prob would handle the most power for 5 sec or so. Not biult amazingly well. DEI who owns Orion stole the XBL^2 technology from adire and they don't really know how to use and make it. This sub would not get my vote for anything but SPL

RE SX - I've jsut heard a little bit from an RE dealer over the last few days and it seems very very good. One 12 with 1k watts hit 148 on T/L. Thats a better number then a XXX would do, and he said it sounded fairly damn good also. I think this sub will be going places. He got 29mm one way xmax also.

DD 9515 - Loudest sub on this list prob. If you can fit the box this sub rocks. Handdles butt loads of power. Works very well for comps but is also prob the best daily driver SPL sub. This sub does not sound BAD but it does not sound good either, its made for SPL and thats what it does. Don't be fooled by numbers like 14mm one way xmax, this sucker is loud. This is a good sub to find used, they go fairly cheap and often have been re-coned recently which is good. Normal price on these is a bit more then the others do dont buy this one new unless you really want to lol.

ID IDMAX - Best SQ of the bunch. Not the loudest at all, but sound very nice. Has kind of a diffrent "flavor" to the sound then some other subs in the SQ class. I would recomend using this sub sealed, but ported works, but tune it to around 27hz. Most people would think they could and should tune lower to maybe about 22hz but your just killing loudness by doing that as this sub does not like to drop that low anyways IMO. Can be found cheap also, about 300 on ebay. If you want high end SQ made well that will get loud enough for most people this is a good bet. Note this does not come in 15" right now but there is some talk about a 15" maybe in the next year or so.

JL w7 - overpriced trash IMO. I'm not just some RE or adire fanboy that likes to bash stuff i cant afford. This sub sounds like mush to me. The reason people like JL is cuz they have ad's everywhere and pay people to use there stuff. JL is all makreting. Yes the 13w7 has like 7 pantents or somthing like that but just listen to it next to a XXX or Brahma and you will see what I mean, this sub is not worth $300 when you can get the others for about $400. People might hate me for that but its true.

RE MT - SPL sub. Honestly I dont see why people would buy this when they can get the SX for a good $100 less, but the MT is still a good value. I do not have first hand experince with it, but I have seen it. Looks very nice. From what I know, it sounds LOUD, besides just being loud it simply sounds LOUD lol. The SPL guys I know who have tested it say it sound decent, but I'm sure an SQ guy would differ. I expect alot of people in the SPL world to start using this sub and like it. This would compare to the DD prob, but sound maybe a lil bit better.

Stryke AV - The cheapest sub on this list by far. They have stoped making them for now but they will start again soon. There under $200 and will play lower then any other sub on this list. I know a person who has one tunned to about 17hz in 3 cubes (its a 15) and damn does it sound nice! VERY good SQ. If your looking at the IDMAX or even the Brahma but dont want to shell out the funds look into this.

Other subs I don't know much about but should be on this list

Alumapro M-16

Eclipse TiPro

PG TiE

SI D2

MTX 9500

Crystal CMP X2 (?? I think its called that aleast)

hope this helps someone. :+1:

:slayer:

Nice work, I should do the same. I agree with you on pretty much all of the subs.

Someone remind me on IM and I'll get on it tomorrow.

- Steve

awsome post, and I agree with you on the W7, but I have to add I have heard 2 different H2 installs with average power and great SQ,

but get Steveo to post up his professional opinion on the CMPX2, and the D2 is well explained in the SI forum,

mad props Aaron

Upon opening up the rather heavy package, I was greeted with the one woofer I have always wanted to personally own. It stared out at me with it

steve thats awsome, it makes we want one more now :slayer:

steve thats awsome, it makes we want one more now :slayer:

:D

Definetely very nice.

Working on a bunch of 'mini' reviews right now. I say turn this thread into everyone's reviews on these super subs.

- Steve

steve thats awsome, it makes we want one more now  :slayer:

:D

Definetely very nice.

Working on a bunch of 'mini' reviews right now. I say turn this thread into everyone's reviews on these super subs.

- Steve

Not a bad idea. I know when I was at SD it started to suck mainly cuz EVERYONE would ask which super sub should he ot she get. Almost all the posts in the sub area could have been answered with the info on this page already. I think its fine and good for people to ask questions, but this info will save people from having to ask 75% of those questions. One thing though is if it becomes one big thread, make sure people know who reviewed what cuz spl people will say one thing and sq people will say another. It's nice to know how X person likes say a XXX and EDA next to eachother, thats more helpful then 2 diffrent people, one saying stuff about the XXX and another person saying stuff about the EDA. nice reiview btw steve! :slayer::+1:

NO such thing as a Super sub IMO just good and bad installs

I've also seen more than one SQ car using 9515s

Just my 2 cents

Late

The most important thing in any install is the box. But there are super subs. A Sony Hex crap speaker is chit next to say a shiva and a shiva sucks for most things next to a XXX. All subs are not created equal. Just like there are crap subs there are super subs. Install/box is the most important thing, but in an ideal setting these subs listed about will preform better then most other subs that are also in an ideal setting.

i think ya hit the 9515 right on the head..

also..the mtx 9500 is EVERY bit as good as a idmax or same size w7..though the idmax kils them with looks(but that don't go boom does it? hehe)and it runs cheaper then the w7 and close to the same as a idmax

one sub i think u left off is the treo ss....at aroun $400 for a 15 u can get mad spl and sound good getting there in a mid sized enclosure( 2.5ft^3 tuned to 34hz is what is recommended and what i use)...

and that is my two centz

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

if you guys had to choose from the above mentioned subs, which one would it be, and can I ask why???

I am just curious about some IDMAX responses

if you guys had to choose from the above mentioned subs, which one would it be, and can I ask why???

I am just curious about some IDMAX responses

RE MT. Loudest for daily driving, and in the right box it wont sound bad at all. It's a beast that is made to last. For the price (mid 400's) its a good value.

I thought people said it was not made for daily, somehting about it does not have the right cooling set up for the VC's :(

I thought people said it was not made for daily, somehting about it does not have the right cooling set up for the VC's :(

It has no pole vent but the vents by the top plate do the job.

I thought people said it was not made for daily, somehting about it does not have the right cooling set up for the VC's  :(

It has no pole vent but the vents by the top plate do the job.

:D ok sweet, I want to play with one

treo ss...because..oh yeah, i already have two!! hehe...i want the ssx's now though

a friend of mine has two idmax v2's, (were, now they are drawing dust)being pushed by a mtx 1501d in some junk prefab box and was in the trunk of his grand am..now even with the shit box, the spl is good and the sq is above average. i can't wait to hear them in a good enclosure, each with it's own 1501d(he already has them, just never got a chance to hook both up b4 car went boom)..then a good review will be forthcoming..

my bro in law is going to put 2 15" 9500 subs in his firechicken(each with it's own 1501) and i can't wait to hear those..i have had the pleasure of listening to a solo 12" 9500 off a 750wrms mtx amp(forget model # 650something or other)in a 2ft^3 or so vented box and it is VERY impressive...loud,crisp and responsive

but back to denim's question..my treo's..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i think the SX should be interesting, once more people start buying them and can do very detailed reviews.....probably my choice from the list....but the XXX is there (but i'm a little biased) :+1:

If I had to choose? Look in my trunk.

I have heard so many drivers in my time (I am a tad older than most here, I'll bet twice as old as most) and I have the best IMHO. As stated it is loud, and totally clean. It is more transparent than any other CA sub I have heard, and lightning fast. I love the ability of the driver tto run strong with such a wide range of enclosures and power levels. It's adaptability is one of the best I have ever seen. Ported or sealed it maintains composure like nothing I have ever seen.

I am an Adire dealer, but it wasn't being a dealer that sold me on their products, it was their products that sold me on being a dealer. I bought the Shiva when it was the rage just for a goof, I have never permanently (I do play with several, as beta tests or just to play though) had any other company's subs in my car since. I bought a Brahma when they first came out, and I got the first MKII (pre-production) I have heard of (the MKII is the only unit I have not paid full price for, as when I purchased all the other units, I was not a dealer). When I bought the Koda 6.1 set I realized the dedication Adire had to providing fantastic products, and that is when I became an Adire dealer... 3 years after I bought my first Adire product.

The Brahma is God.

that is the best damn explaination you could have asked for :denim:

#1 get your story right before you start saying someone stole something from someone else. Since JBL was working on this technology years ago, you think maybe adire stole it from them? If you actually knew anything about what you were talking about, you would recognize that similar is not the same. Funny how you are the only one making these outlandish claims.

#2 handling power? i dunno where you get your info there buddy, they will handle 5kw , yeah twice their rated power in a properly built box. If you are building boxes wrong and they cant handle the power due to that, thats your own fault. But hey, lets say a company can handle its rated power, so i guess its bad to you since its not grossly underrated or needs more attention to detail than some slopppy box builder can give, so shame on Orion for making a sub that is not moron-proof.

#1 get your story right before you start saying someone stole something from someone else. Since JBL was working on this technology years ago, you think maybe adire stole it from them? If you actually knew anything about what you were talking about, you would recognize that similar is not the same. Funny how you are the only one making these outlandish claims.

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but your claims of JBL working on the technology that Adire "stole" is totally outlandish and incorrect in itself. The 2 work on fundamentally differant principals.

JBL's dual gap technology utilizes a "push/pull" technology and split coils. The larger coil area due to the dual coils increases inductance and reduces the quickness or transient responce of the driver. Granted, the JBL driver is very nice, but these are a couple drawbacks of the design. Below you can see a cutaway of the JBL and the dual coils in 2 gaps.

IL_3.jpg

Adires technology uses a single short coil that rides in 2 magnetic gaps. The dual gap is mearly a cutaway of the top plate that allows for greater controll of the single coil. The single coil allows for a lower inductance, and therefore a better TR.

I'll get a pic to demonstrate this in a second.

By the way, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I am just very passionate about Adire and their products ;)

Edited by sandt38

XBL2 at rest and 1 of the variances that are also patented under the same technology... Below the XBL2 architecture I have enhanced the cutaway of the motor listed above, to show the active pieces in the GTI "push/pull" topology. Please notice the position of the coils (blue) in the gap (relative to the red highlighted topplate). The upper coil has little room to move rearward within the gap, but the lower coil has generous space. And of course, vice-versa. That is a "push/pull" split gap system. The XBL2 shows the topplate and polepiece with the cutouts, and the coil resting squarely within the gap.

post-2-1070658417.jpg

enhanced.jpg

Edited by sandt38

i am just trying to figure out where you can claim that Orion stole this information from Adire when they make no public claims and have no lawsuits on the patent.

i am just trying to figure out where you can claim that Orion stole this information from Adire when they make no public claims and have no lawsuits on the patent.

Me? Where did I ever claim that? :wtf:

*edit* Oh, I see where that came from. That wasn't me that said that. I have no information available to suggest anything about DEI/Orion stealing anything, so I cannot validate or negate the comment made above. I do seem to recall a suggestion about it elsewhere, but I believe Dan Wiggins quickly dismissed it. Maybe you have a link to the Orion/DEI Technology?

Edited by sandt38