Sign in to follow this  
ollie

One of the official first PRODUCTION 15" Mag Revie

First off :P is how i feel right now. I haven't been this happy in quite awhile

(been bassless for nearly...well....its been awhile. i blew up my temp sub on loan from a friend)

so...i am working with this. 1994 maxima as in the sig with a memphis 16-MC1000d. my car right now has NO sound dampening products installed as of right now because i wanted to do a before and after test. ive got 30 sq ft of damplifier and a bucket of spectrum waiting to be installed along with 40 sq ft of overkill and some rattlepad.

i had a 15 from the first run of drivers installed in my car before i received my new mag. i loved my first driver, but unfortunately had some issues with my setup and had to tear it down for awhile. it used to astound me in a 3.2 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz and many said it would be even better in a larger box...i never had time to find out until today when i installed the new 15 thanks to nick's extra speediness.

i haven't got a tremendous amount of experience with different woofers that could compete with the new mag (w7, XXX, etc...) but i have heard them in similar installs.

FIRST IMPRESSION:

:gift::WELCOME::faintthud::+1::bigok::lol2:

say enough? the thing is massive. the build quality is absolutely incredible with attn paid to the finest detail, right down to the chrome job on the back of the motor. it feels much different when holding it compared to the old gen of 15's. i dont know what it was, but it was there.

the driver was to go into a sealed enclosure. i cannot fit a ported mag 15 in my trunk so it must be sealed. going from 3.2 cu ft ported 2nd gen to 3.15 cu ft sealed 3rd gen had its advantages and disadvantages.

everyone knows how well the old 15's played and how much accuracy and precision in music they reproduced so how could it even get any better?

nick made it happen. :bigok:

TEST/Break In

I received a personalized letter from nick saying that it was necessary to break the woofer in for a half hour or so before really sending anything to it. so naturally i took his advice.

300 watts freeair with various bass mechanik cds running on it for a half hour. OH MY GOD?! this driver ACTUALLY MOVES with 300 watts? are my eyes deceiving me? no, the thing is so efficient its crazy.

DROPPING it Innnnnnn.... :lol:

I was afraid and excited....alpine cda-9815 with my memphis amp and flat settings with no bass boost. LPF set LOOOOWWWWW to start. Sealed 3.15 after displacement.

this thing is LOWWWWW. It hits low tones harder and louder than any other woofer i have ever heard...and my best frind with the 15w3 wholeheartedly agreed. Songs like Lil Jon's no problems get laughed at by the woofer. Late night tip does not dip in volume...the older mags would quiet down at that low of frequency and this thing just HIT i mean it tore my trunk to shreds. Anything by 3 6 mafia...fudge that chit...rainbow colors...all low tunes...tremendous response.

Phil Collins live in berlin played wonderfully...

Black Dahlia Murder, Dillinger Escape Plan, Rival Schools, Sigor Rose'

i tried everything i could think of and the woofer loved everything. it did not skip out on anything. :D:+1:

COMPARISON

blows charlies 15w3 ported out of the water with lowness (a word?) and volume. this baby is SEALED and is louder than my previous ported setup with my 2nd gen mag 15. i was amazed. period. i dont know what else to say.

nick and his crew are great guys and obviously audiophile geniuses. the man answered his business line on a sunday for me today so that i could ask him about screws.

great company, tremendous design, tremendous quality control, UNBELIEVABLE product, and one SATISFIED CUSTOMER

A+ to everyone involved in getting SI back on their feet.

Good luck with you mag setups and as always, offer the members on here your advice based on your experience, as i have here.

thanks

OLLIE

its 1230 am :faintthud:

i've been wanting to hear a Mag for so long, and these reviews just make me want one even more

i'd like to say congrats to Nick for getting SI running again after the tradgedy

Thanks Ollie! :) I'm glad you like it. The production 15's are absolutely killer - I think people are crazy for ordering them b/c it's just too much bass for little 'ol me. ;)

...however, I will be running 2 12's with 5k watts of power - but only for demo purposes.

um can i have one or two

Good news! I have to order some more for my beater.

i wanna hear so manny of these new woofs :(

this one sounds like its simply incredible.

i wanna hear so manny of these new woofs :(

this one sounds like its simply incredible.

They are pretty bad a$$. :) Two of them in my hatch with the capability to throw 3k watts + on them (Hifonics Goliath) is going to be insane. I doubt I'll ever have it that loud but it's nice to know that you have the capability. :P

I was gonna get 2 15's, but due to trunk space issues I'm probably going with 2 12's. Running off a orion2500@ 2 ohms (figure about 900w each). I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe it'll be loud enough for me. :P

btw the loudest I've heard is my SE12 in a ported box w/400w, so I'm sure these things will rock my nuts :rockwoot:

I'm sure these things will rock my nuts :rockwoot:

And a few other select body parts.

great review!