vladd

Give me some ideas

ok so the car is a 98 Dodge Stratus. I have to have access to my spare tire and would prefer a removeable enclosure but thats probably not happening. What i have now are two boxes 3/4" MDF 3.13cubes each tuned to 36hz.

i want something that'll look more custom and less amateur. I've considered finishing my boxes and what not but its really not worth it to me, i'd rather just toss the boxes (not actually throw away) and start with fiberglass. I'm pretty good with fiberglass but never tried it in cars/audio, i think i can manage though.

what i really need from you all is ideas on how to make this look good, i'm wanting front firing subs like they do now, and my amps are mounted on the back of my seat which will be changed. As of now i'm thinking i'll fill the whole trunk with the enclosure, make a huge scallop like hole that allows me to get to my spare, this will make the enclosure almost wishbone shaped and easy to split into two boxes which might be removable with the help of god, should weild a little more in cubes too. after that i could make a cover for the hole left from the scallop and put the amp rack there

I've also considered something rawdogj suggested, which is making the enclosure as big as i want and just cutting a hole for the spare to be accessed from under the car (there is room) and do it sorta like the old corvettes (just a panel where you drop down and pull the spare out that way) this would let me have 10+cubes but once again how would i ever finish the fiberglass enclosure if i make it all inside the trunk ?? probably not going to be able to.

i really want a custom look this time and i want to put a lot more time/effort in, throw ideas my way, i am fitting 15" subs as thats what i have now. My height can be 16.5" at best unless i remove my 6x9's which i'll probably do, this will only give me another inch or two at best. My width at the least wide spot is a little more than 36" (my current boxes are 18" wide and the two of them don't totally fill the width. front to back i should get 36" at best, this gives me a

12.375 cubes if the box is rectangular, so i should be able to squeeze a little more out with the odd shapes.

blah its 2:40am and i'm ranting now, someone give me an outside the box idea...like "drill two 14" holes in the trunk lid and mount them there"

Well you got a good start, glassing is glassing man. now you just need to adapt it to a car trunk :)

Couple of ideas

1. Do you have enough room for the enclosure behind the opening for the spare tire ? Maybe a hinged false floor amp rack. That way you could still have access to the spare.

2. Your thought of a wishbone would be pretty easy as well. You could also extend the wishbone look along the sides to the rear. And recess your amp(s) into these panels.

Just tossing idea's :)

Well you got a good start, glassing is glassing man. now you just need to adapt it to a car trunk :)

Couple of ideas

1. Do you have enough room for the enclosure behind the opening for the spare tire ? Maybe a hinged  false floor amp rack. That way you could still have access to the spare.

2. Your thought of a wishbone would be pretty easy as well. You could also extend the wishbone look along the sides to the rear. And recess your amp(s) into these panels.

Just tossing idea's  :)

tossing ideas is exactly what i need, the wishbone all the way to back is what i was thinking, and the hollow scallop having the hinged false floor amp rack, would be pretty kick a55

also i don'tt hink ihave room for an enclosure just in front of hte spare, it runs pretty far up towards the cabin

Please excuse my crappy paint skills ( not an artist my any stretch of the imagination :D ) But this is what I was meaning about the enclosure being behind the tire well. When you say scallop we may actually be talkng about teh same thing. :)

untitled.bmp

yea i think we are talking about hte same thing, but i would extend the enclosure all the way to the back of the trunk which i don't think your drawing did, or i'm reading it wrong...i'll try to do a little better drawing buy my skills aren't so good with paint..i'm pretty good with a bo staff though

Yes sir we is talking the same thing :D

Infinite baffle:)

wouldn't this kill my trunk????

edit, in case you all wanted to see i threw together some of the subs i was considering before, limited them to my enclosures and tuning to where i felt was appropriate, i was hugely impressed with the LMT but odn't see a need to tune quite so low, 10hz might be fun but i'll never need to hear it. (can't anyway)

here's my sucky pic of my actual trunk the grey/black would be hollow all the way down to the spare

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/vladd06/NewBox.jpg

and here's the sub comparison on WinISD, probably no use to you all since the box constraints are for my box, a few of them were really on the low side, but i'm highly impressed at the LMT's low freq response

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/vladd...bcomparison.jpg