Sign in to follow this  
imhungnurnot

RCA Noise.. or not.. ha

I was driving last night, and I thought I heard some RCA Noise. So turn the volume down on the HU, put the truck in neutral, and rev the engine. Sounds like a tiny bit of RCA noise. So I say to myself, "Oh well." Ten minutes later I realized the sound was coming from under the hood... :suicide-santa:

Looks like I have a cracked power steering pump pulley. The noise is really loud now so it may be more than that. AHH that's what you get with a 20 year old truck! Hopefully, nothing else is damaged. I'm gonna try to replace the pulley today. We'll see how it goes!

On the truck?

Those pulleys have an expansion slot in them, are you sure it is cracked? I have seen that happen, but not on Chevy trucks, and it is VARY rare.

The whine is likely the pump cavitating. Check your fluid level, and check it for bubbles. Top it off with regular Mercon/Dexron automatic transmission fluid and check the system for leaks. Chevy trucks are bad about PS lines. If you find a leaking hose, don't use NAPA hoses. I have found they almost never seem to fit right. We stopped using them at the shop after we had a run of about a dozen that didn't fit right.

Good luck!