CadillacMatt

Sub back port front?

Hey all

So I'm going to be installing an 18" Nightshade in my trunk, and I have been trying to come up with a workable solution for a box design. Been sifting through threads but haven't really seen too many builds with a sub back/port front design or vice-versa. It seems that any other design would take up the entire trunk with little room for any other equipment. This is what I'm proposing:

Top down view of the trunk. The yellow dashed line is the rear deck, about 19" total height clearance. The grey dashed line is the recessed spare tire well, about 6" or so deep. Box sides and top would be built as to contour around the wheel wells.

idea1.jpg

This would be the view from the back, I apologize for the shitty drawing.. it gives the impression that the box is sealed off from the cabin but in reality it would have about 5" or so of clearance (what I'm shooting for...). The woofer is recessed down into the tire well, I could fabricate the bottom of the enclosure out of fiberglass I'm thinking to contour to the floor pan.

idea1a.jpg

Last but not least here is an actual picture of the trunk taken before the sound deadening for visual clarity

DCP_0011.jpg

I would want the box to be about 5 cubes of internal volume... I've long since forgotten the trunk measurements and haven't gotten into the specifics of it yet but this was just a preliminary idea I was tossing around... anybody worked with a design like this?

Thanks a million guys :drink40:

man porting in to the cabin would bring numbers...

but im worried about the sound.. as i know your looking for that "trunk" sound from a sub. so i think it may defeat what you want...

what do you think about a sub back port forward

man porting in to the cabin would bring numbers...

but im worried about the sound.. as i know your looking for that "trunk" sound from a sub. so i think it may defeat what you want...

what do you think about a sub back port forward

You mean the other way around?

Well, I'm sort of basing the idea that my old box sounded much better faced towards the cabin than turned around facing the back (but I think that's mostly due to the box being so big it practically sealed off the trunk lol).

Plus you know I don't really care about numbers man just like you said in the Navi it scored hella good but it doesn't sound too well on music lol

Against my better judgement I sauntered over to ca.com forums and asked this question and so far they laid out two possible solutions:

1. Two seperate slot ports on either side of the box, or

2. Aeroports! I have no experience with them at all as we speak I'm Googling Aero vs. Slot ports and soaking in all the info I can.