Sign in to follow this  
mikeb890

Big 3 done wrong?

So i went to my local shop and had them do the big 3 for me, yeah i know i should of done it myself lol. Used that Knuconceptz 0 gauge wire. A buddy of mine told me that I will need to add an additional fuse to put between the alternator and the battery, but the shop said that it wasnt needed. I think my alt is like a 130amp on my scion tc, and the extra fuse i bought says 300A. Big 3 helped the voltage a bit, but it still drops right away if im giving a demo or just bumping it loud to the upper 11's. Check the pics here, ImageShack Album - 7 images All i see is the alt to the battery, then the battery to the ground. Is it done right or do i need to add that fuse that i bought? Also if i replaced my stock Panasonic battery with an optima yellow top would that help my voltage as well?

I also did the chassis to ground. The ground coming from a bracket on the alternator, that is.

Edited by raolito

It looks good the only thing that looks like they didnt do is sand the paint where they ground to the frame, but if they did my fault. Did they do a ground wire from your engine block to car's frame or negative battery post as well. You can put a fuse between the positive wire going from the postive battery post to the positive alternator post, its up to you but the fuse will help in case anything happens so its a safety hazard or precaution. Some use a fuse and some dont, hope that helps.

Oh and sorry its off topic, Damn 130 stock alternator on a TC? Damn my Altima 4 cyl. is 110!!

A buddy of mine told me that I will need to add an additional fuse to put between the alternator and the battery, but the shop said that it wasnt needed.

its insurance. the fuse is there just in case you get into a front end collision and the power wire gets pinched, which would short your battery and have the potential to turn a minor accident into a major fire and/or total loss

is it necessary for operation? no.

is it worth the $20 to put it in? depends on how much you value your car.

im scared to ask, but how much does a shop charge to do the big 3, if you dont mind me asking.

A buddy of mine told me that I will need to add an additional fuse to put between the alternator and the battery, but the shop said that it wasnt needed.

its insurance. the fuse is there just in case you get into a front end collision and the power wire gets pinched, which would short your battery and have the potential to turn a minor accident into a major fire and/or total loss

Then why don't they come fused from the factory?

for the same reason the tires only last 50,000 miles. they want you to have to buy another one when yours burns down.

good question, but i really dont know. its the only logical answer ive ever heard for fusing the alternator output.

im scared to ask, but how much does a shop charge to do the big 3, if you dont mind me asking.

i remember i went in to a shop just for kicks/giggles it was around $145.00 :suicide-santa:

Interesting i'll keep that in mind. Paid about $85 at the shop. Wish i just did it myself though and saved that money toward an optima yellow top since my stock battery is awfullllllllll

Interesting i'll keep that in mind. Paid about $85 at the shop. Wish i just did it myself though and saved that money toward an optima yellow top since my stock battery is awfullllllllll

next time try doing something yourself and post here for help if you need any :)

Mine came fused from the factory. :peepwall:

the big three is not a cure all..

it is done to stiffen your charging system.. DC voltage is only as good as its weakest link.... and an OEM car is not built for anything to pull 85 plus amps.. IE the 8~10 gauge wire for the + off the alt and the same for ground,.

when doing the big three you are only preping your car for more draw....

your problem at this point is not enough amp hours on your cell.. you need a bigger battery.. or to add a cell in the trunk.

then later of course a H/o alt.

are you bringing your RPMs up on your car to around 2K while doing demos? if not you should be.. a 60 amp alt at idle is only putting out around 20 amps at idle if that. so if course that sundown is gonna take that little power thats in your battery and kill it right away..

i would add a cell fast or stop pushing it so hard for now... cause killing that battery like that and then putting the stress on that alt will kill it. alts are made to cycle on .. off ..on.. when they run none stop heat will cook the grease on your bearings, the reficater will stick open and melt then start to cook your stater winding.

did someone say that they dont fuse factory alt leads??? i have never seen one with out. somtimes they wont look like a fuse. just looks like a lump in the wire.. and thats a fuseble link.

just my two cents.

My altima is stock fused at the battery positive.

Check your fuse box. Should be a large ALT fuse.