toyopl

Problem getting the sub/amp to work

So I'm running Sundown 100.4 with fronts and backs with no problem for last month or two.

But I have a problem with 125.2, I just hokked everything up and this amp that feeds subs is turning on and off constantly, as soon as there is a bass in the song it hits very quiet, barely noticable and amp turns itself off, but as the bass dissapears in the song amp turns itself back on, and it's like that throughout the whole song, it will literally turn on and off maybe 20 times in 1 minute.

But the 100.4 runs without a problem in the meantime and rest of speakers play fine.

here's the hookup for 125.2

2 Id8's dual voice coil 4ohm http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/manuals/iD/ID8D4%20V.pdf

each wired to 2 ohm thx to this diagram

1_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

each sub is going to each channel on the amp

did I get lost somewhere ?

So I'm running Sundown 100.4 with fronts and backs with no problem for last month or two.

But I have a problem with 125.2, I just hokked everything up and this amp that feeds subs is turning on and off constantly, as soon as there is a bass in the song it hits very quiet, barely noticable and amp turns itself off, but as the bass dissapears in the song amp turns itself back on, and it's like that throughout the whole song, it will literally turn on and off maybe 20 times in 1 minute.

But the 100.4 runs without a problem in the meantime and rest of speakers play fine.

here's the hookup for 125.2

2 Id8's dual voice coil 4ohm http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/manuals/iD/ID8D4%20V.pdf

each wired to 2 ohm thx to this diagram

1_4ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

each sub is going to each channel on the amp

did I get lost somewhere ?

Are they subs or mids because that amp isn't for 2 ohm mono........

Edit: Well DUH! your running at 1 ohm mono on a amp that is stable only at 4 ohms mono you got to rewire them....

Edited by cheese20323

Everything seems fine with the wiring, how is it grounded? How did you set your gains, are you using bass boost? Is the amp well ventilated, is it getting too hot? Make sure you have D4 coils and they are wired to two ohms just to be safe. Any electrical upgrades? Just a few questions to get you started?

Edit: Well DUH! your running at 1 ohm mono on a amp that is stable only at 4 ohms mono you got to rewire them....

No actually he is running 2 D4 subs, each wired to 2 ohms going into its own channel.

These are subs, and each sub is going to each channel on the amp

this is from the sundown specs, and that's how I got it setup, each sub is wired parallel to 2 ohm and it's going to one channel on the amp, and same with other sub, going to the other channel on the amp

----RMS power, 2 ohm stereo 200W x 2CH

Everything seems fine with the wiring, how is it grounded? How did you set your gains, are you using bass boost? Is the amp well ventilated, is it getting too hot? Make sure you have D4 coils and they are wired to two ohms just to be safe. Any electrical upgrades? Just a few questions to get you started?

-grounded to a nice piece of metal, same point as 100.4 just opposite side of car, grinded paint off to make good contact

-set the gains with dmm, I follewd the sticky guide on this forum in amplifier section

-as far as I know no bass boost, but remind me which way should the knob be turned ?

-the amp didn't even get a chance to start running and get hot

-I will double check the subs and wiring

No actually he is running 2 D4 subs, each wired to 2 ohms going into its own channel.

I thought the amp wasn't meant for a 2 ohm load at mono.......just stereo, which in this case you might have it at mono....

Actually cheese20323 was right, I was running mono or whatever that wiring came out to, I checked the wiring and it turns out that the box terminal was double, 2 reds and 2 blacks, each for separate sub, just like I asked the shop to do, but there was a tiny stip of metal going from one red to the other red and another from black to another black, not sure what this is for but I had to let all of the loose and take those pieces of metal out, separating each channel, hard to explain, but I think you guys should understand.

I thought the amp wasn't meant for a 2 ohm load at mono.......just stereo, which in this case you might have it at mono....

No, he doesn't. Each sub is wired to its own channel on the amp. The amp is not bridged to mono.

Check the DCR of the subs with a multimeter, make sure the coils read correctly. Also make sure there are no shorts in the speaker wire anywhere.

I figured out what the problem was, the post above yours :)

but thx for help

ah ok. Well good then. Stupid shops.

this is the reason i tell my friends its stupid to get things installed at a shop.

for one, you don't know how or what the hell they couldve done to hook it all up, secondly its saves money installing yourself and is quite a learning experience.

lol

good thing you got it figured out though! :drink40:

Yup, happy it all worked out

I actually just asked the shop to do a custom box for me and asked for double terminal

I installed everything myself but I missed that one crucial part, good learning experience