HawkEye

Question About Running A Bigger Amp And Another Battery

Hey all.Im going to be getting an AQ2200 amp soon and I was told I need to get another battery.I kinda figured I would need another battery but Im worried my alternator wont be able to keep up.As it is right now my head lights and other lights dimm when I have my music up with a autotek 1500 watt amp.My car is a 1977 Oldsmoblie Delta 88.The alternator is a remanufactured one and I have no clue how many amps it is putting out.I know the alternator isn't that old.So my question is if I put another battery and a AQ2200 amp in will the alternator handle it or will I need another one or what?I haven't done the big 3 yet as im not enterly sure of what it consists of but I know it helps with the dimming lights.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks

Here is a write up on the Big 3 to get you started and the only way to tell if your car will handle it will be to install the equipment and go from there. Make sure you do the Big 3 in 1/0 AWG wire, get a secondary battery and a volt meter so you can keep an eye on your voltage. If your voltage holds up well then your current alternator will suffice and if not then get ready to look into an H/O Alternator.

Big 3 Wiring:

1. Engine Block/Bolt on Alternator Case to car's frame (Ground Wire).

2. Battery Negative Post to the car's frame (Ground Wire).

3. Battery Positive Post to the Alternator Positive Terminal (Positive Wire).

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/Technical-Reference-Center-f57/Technical-Info-How-Tos-f60/THE-BIG-3-t200.html

Hey all.Im going to be getting an AQ2200 amp soon and I was told I need to get another battery.I kinda figured I would need another battery but Im worried my alternator wont be able to keep up.As it is right now my head lights and other lights dimm when I have my music up with a autotek 1500 watt amp.My car is a 1977 Oldsmoblie Delta 88.The alternator is a remanufactured one and I have no clue how many amps it is putting out.I know the alternator isn't that old.So my question is if I put another battery and a AQ2200 amp in will the alternator handle it or will I need another one or what?I haven't done the big 3 yet as im not enterly sure of what it consists of but I know it helps with the dimming lights.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks

Well im failrly new to here but have lots of experience over the last 24 years . I have had problems with the issues of headligts dimming and voltage drops during some bass hits . I tried all the tricks, Batcaps, Capicators,Added another battery . I really found out that the best bet is to get an alternator that handles anywere from 135 to 220 amps, but at idle speed it puts out at least 135 amps .Ive spent hundreds of dollars, when all i really needed was an alternator that puts out more amps at idle speed. when you do the alternator upgrade, you will need at that point to also update your wireing because your stock factory wireing most probably wont handle it.several ways to this.you either tale the stock wireing off and redo the wireing with 1 guage or you add more wires in at least 4 guage or bigger to the exsisting alternator wireing.I have had good luck and no problems either way i wired like this .

You can also go here to buy these amps, there really good and reasonable . The Biggest And Baddest 100% USA Built High Output Alternators - DC Power Engineering you will be hardpressed to find a better price for there product ,I got mine for 365 bucks several years ago and its stil runnign strong ,it puts out 135 amps at idle and does 180 amps total , the 135 amps at idle is at 1,400 RPM. Im running 3,000 watts (2 amps) and my dimming issues with one battery is no more .If i want to go to a higher level, I can add a bigger amp without any issues. But im happy were im at, You can spend up to 400 bucks easily with some good batteries and the cable for the battery addition . I wised up and just bought the alternator and i have never looked back .

The problem that most people do is buy these big amps and super subwoofers , then they have electrical issues. most part throwing money on all of these can run a 1,000 bucks if you do the whole total package , for under or around 400 bucks and 20 bucks in wireing upgrade to the alternator will solve 90% of your electrical issues. Plus i believe while i cant prove it is that it makes your battery last longer .Without this alternator ,i could go through a battery evey 2 years , The one i have now has been going strong for over 3 years and i just had it load tested and its testing like it did when it was brand new .I think it causes a lot less less strain and drainage on the battery . I think your stock alternator on your delta 88 is around 70 amps , so i think you will definately need to upgrade it .

Well im failrly new to here but have lots of experience over the last 24 years . I have had problems with the issues of headligts dimming and voltage drops during some bass hits . I tried all the tricks, Batcaps, Capicators,Added another battery . I really found out that the best bet is to get an alternator that handles anywere from 135 to 220 amps, but at idle speed it puts out at least 135 amps .Ive spent hundreds of dollars, when all i really needed was an alternator that puts out more amps at idle speed. when you do the alternator upgrade, you will need at that point to also update your wireing because your stock factory wireing most probably wont handle it.several ways to this.you either tale the stock wireing off and redo the wireing with 1 guage or you add more wires in at least 4 guage or bigger to the exsisting alternator wireing.I have had good luck and no problems either way i wired like this .

You can also go here to buy these amps, there really good and reasonable . The Biggest And Baddest 100% USA Built High Output Alternators - DC Power Engineering you will be hardpressed to find a better price for there product ,I got mine for 365 bucks several years ago and its stil runnign strong ,it puts out 135 amps at idle and does 180 amps total , the 135 amps at idle is at 1,400 RPM. Im running 3,000 watts (2 amps) and my dimming issues with one battery is no more .If i want to go to a higher level, I can add a bigger amp without any issues. But im happy were im at, You can spend up to 400 bucks easily with some good batteries and the cable for the battery addition . I wised up and just bought the alternator and i have never looked back .

The problem that most people do is buy these big amps and super subwoofers , then they have electrical issues. most part throwing money on all of these can run a 1,000 bucks if you do the whole total package , for under or around 400 bucks and 20 bucks in wireing upgrade to the alternator will solve 90% of your electrical issues. Plus i believe while i cant prove it is that it makes your battery last longer .Without this alternator ,i could go through a battery evey 2 years , The one i have now has been going strong for over 3 years and i just had it load tested and its testing like it did when it was brand new .I think it causes a lot less less strain and drainage on the battery . I think your stock alternator on your delta 88 is around 70 amps , so i think you will definately need to upgrade it .

If your alternator can't keep up with things now adding a battery is sort of like a band-aid. It will help keep you from killing things, but if you're drawing more power than the alternator can produce you will start to drain your batteries. Then the alternator has to work to power the current needs as well as recharge the batteries. It's often better to start at the source, you may find you don't need an extra battery. DC Power and Mechman are both great companies from my experience.

Ok.I just put in a quote for a alternator with DC.So in your guys view,I should get an alternator first then get the AQ2200 amp?Then I shouldn't need an extra battery?

Ok.I just put in a quote for a alternator with DC.So in your guys view,I should get an alternator first then get the AQ2200 amp?Then I shouldn't need an extra battery?

You may need both, it is recommended to have an extra battery with 2000+ watts.

If you are not 100% sure on how to set your gains properly I would upgrade your charging system first.

Im assuming your going to have at least a 2 amplifier system right? Your looking at about 2450 watts -give or take . Id try running the battery you have first with that alternator and wire upgrade first , if that doesnt work, you can always get another battery.

Im useing one of these : http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1143.pdf and im pushing more watts than you ,Call around and you should be able to get these for under 165 bucks in your local area ,Look up battery distributors in your area . Id kill off your stock battery first and then use that as a core on a new one .

I wouldnt keep buying more stuff until you realise you really need it, unless you can afford it .You may also want to get an amplifier that has its rated output at 12 volts rather than 14 or 16 volts, the Aq2200 is a good amp but its not as efficient as sundown audios amps . They will both work with that alternator , depends on what your heart is set on getting .

Edited by rick

Actually im just going to be running one amp for the time being.So would the AQ2200 or the SAZ 2500 be a better choice?

Actually im just going to be running one amp for the time being.So would the AQ2200 or the SAZ 2500 be a better choice?

SAZ 2500.

SAZ 2500.

I second that agreement !

Ok.I have decided to go with the AQ2200 amp.Also,DC priced me a 180amp max alternator for $369.They said it does about 120amps at idle.So I was wondering if this alternator would do the trick for me?Like,would it hold up to a AQ2200 amp,a second battery and my type r 15's right now?Would it also hold up to maybe another AQ2200 amp and FI BL or BTL's down the road?Thanks

Ok.I have decided to go with the AQ2200 amp.Also,DC priced me a 180amp max alternator for $369.They said it does about 120amps at idle.So I was wondering if this alternator would do the trick for me?Like,would it hold up to a AQ2200 amp,a second battery and my type r 15's right now?Would it also hold up to maybe another AQ2200 amp and FI BL or BTL's down the road?Thanks

If you're planning on redoing your system later with more power, you might as well get the beefiest alternator you can. go for the 270xp if possible.

If you're planning on redoing your system later with more power, you might as well get the beefiest alternator you can. go for the 270xp if possible.

x2 especially if your going to upgrade in the future, find the biggest alternator you can right now.

270 XP is pure sex. It will fully power a 2200 watt amp without having to have another battery. If you plan on adding another 2200 then just wait until then to get another battery. Get this alt with your single 2200 amp first and see if you have voltage drops. If you do then get another battery.