sundownz

Prototype Z v.3 Testing

Output wise, it's about the same as the NSv1, but it has a little better sound to it. Based on my voltage drop, it seems to be more efficient as well.

Output wise, it's about the same as the NSv1, but it has a little better sound to it. Based on my voltage drop, it seems to be more efficient as well.

Can't believe you just said that...

That would lead me to believe there is a lower impedance peak, not efficiency. You're talking about SYSTEM efficiency right?

why is it called a Z?

i think DD covered that

There are only so many letters in the alphabet that sound cool :drink40:

I use the letter Z as in SAZ line of amps... the Z letter in our line is right next to Nightshade. So... maybe there will be an NS amp ?! ;)

why is it called a Z?

i think DD covered that

There are only so many letters in the alphabet that sound cool :drink40:

I use the letter Z as in SAZ line of amps... the Z letter in our line is right next to Nightshade. So... maybe there will be an NS amp ?! ;)

I think it sounds pretty cool :drink40:

That would lead me to believe there is a lower impedance peak, not efficiency. You're talking about SYSTEM efficiency right?

There appears to be less voltage drop at tuning (where my voltage dropped significantly), but I still had the same audible output. If it takes less power to make the same output, the driver is more efficient. NSv1 did not have a shorting ring, Zv3 does, that means less inductance. Inductance, to put it as simple is possible, is wasted power in terms of efficiency. My impedance may have gone up at tuning (less power output, less voltage drop) and my impedance possibly went down at higher frequencies (more power, greater output) as my response leveled out above tuning. It used to be kinda peaky at tuning, Zv3 is not, and collectively as loud as the peaky spot was with the NSv1.

Again, outside of subjective sound quality observations, the rest is speculation.

There appears to be less voltage drop at tuning (where my voltage dropped significantly), but I still had the same audible output. If it takes less power to make the same output, the driver is more efficient. NSv1 did not have a shorting ring, Zv3 does, that means less inductance. Inductance, to put it as simple is possible, is wasted power in terms of efficiency. My impedance may have gone up at tuning (less power output, less voltage drop) and my impedance possibly went down at higher frequencies (more power, greater output) as my response leveled out above tuning. It used to be kinda peaky at tuning, Zv3 is not, and collectively as loud as the peaky spot was with the NSv1.

Again, outside of subjective sound quality observations, the rest is speculation.

I could see where different inductance would/could make the amp produce less power and thus less voltage drop, and as long as you measured the output from previous driver and new driver, and the output was either the same or better in the later, then I could see what you mean...

I would be curious to run a sweep and record the results and compare to older version, just to see at which areas it's more efficient, if not all. :P

I have found my next sub

I can not wait to get my hands on two Z v.3 12"!!!!!

Lets get these built!!!!